To our non-UConn fan friends | The Boneyard

To our non-UConn fan friends

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I personally am happy to see participation from all you guys. You’ve expanded our view of wcbb and I think most of us are grateful for it. So I hope you don’t take offense but I would like to request that you refrain from starting new threads for news from your programs. This is a UConn board and it sorta feels like the UConn talk is getting squeezed out. I started a thread for non-UConn news. Please share! Just remember we bleed National flag blue here first.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I am not trying to be a smart*ss and this is a sincere question: how does this relate to threads for a specific game, such as tonight's Missouri at South Carolina? Are they still welcome?

By threads I specifically mean play by play commentary, critiques and debates. I am not referring to the game info usually posted by @Shades or score updates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not trying to be a smart*ss and this is a sincere question: how does this relate to threads for a specific game, such as tonight's Missouri at South Carolina? Are they still welcome?

By threads I specifically mean play by play commentary, critiques and debates. I am not referring to the game info usually posted by @Shades or score updates.
Personally, I don't like them either. Some posters way overdo them.
I just ignore them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No smart ass at all. Im not talking about the game threads. Today I merged several threads on a transfer from one school to another, both not UConn, a thread on a recently announced recrioting class, and one other I don’t remember. It’s all interesting but we don’t need so many non-UConn threads

I do want the play by plays to stop. They take up way too much of the thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On a somewhat related note: There seems to be confusion about what is on-topic versus off-topic. Some posters could use a refresher.
In some cases ion topic vs off topic is a “I can’t describe it but I know it when I see it” thing. In general, on topic threads are threads on:
  1. UConn women’s basketball
  2. Games of general interest (other ranked teams, pros, Olympics, general interest threads such as the Other Games Today threads)
  3. Women’s basketball general interest news (rules changes, polls, NCAA announcements, etc)
In general, off topic threads are OK but please limit them during the season unless there’s a long layoff between games. Off topic threads are:
  1. Other sports. Football threads will be moved to the football board. Note: I left the Patriots thread because it’s a one time thing, for this season, anyway
  2. Personal info - happy events, sad events, and so on. We’re a community here so I understand sharing big events in our lives but please don’t start announcing birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and so on
  3. Anything else non-women’s basketball related
A reminder - NO POLITICS. Even jokes are frowned upon because you know someone will object/take offense and the thread will go downhill from there

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In some cases ion topic vs off topic is a “I can’t describe it but I know it when I see it” thing. In general, on topic threads are threads on:
  2. Games of general interest (other ranked teams, pros, Olympics, general interest threads such as the Other Games Today threads)
  3. Women’s basketball general interest news (rules changes, polls, NCAA announcements, etc)
In general, off topic threads are OK but please limit them during the season unless there’s a long layoff between games. Off topic threads are:
  1. Other sports. Football threads will be moved to the football board. Note: I left the Patriots thread because it’s a one time thing, for this season, anyway
  2. Personal info - happy events, sad events,and soon. We’re a community here so I understand sharing big events in our lives but please don’t start announcing birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and so on
A reminder - NO POLITICS. Even jokes are frowned upon because you know someone will object/take offense and the thread will go downhill from there

So a thread I was gonna make about setting a new personal record on the treadmill would be OT ??? :p

Reaction Score
No smart ass at all. Im not talking about the game threads. Today I merged several threads on a transfer from one school to another, both not UConn, a thread on a recently announced recrioting class, and one other I don’t remember. It’s all interesting but we don’t need so many non-UConn threads

I do want the play by plays to stop. They take up way too much of the thread
NaN, I hesitated to post the recruiting thread but I was so proud of my picture posting I could not resist. Promise I will be more careful in the future, did not mean to overstep any bounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NaN, I hesitated to post the recruiting thread but I was so proud of my picture posting I could not resist. Promise I will be more careful in the future, did not mean to overstep any bounds.
Your post was fine -I didn’t want to imply you can’t post it here. It just needed to be in a different thread. Please keep posting; you and your fellow fans are most welcome

Reaction Score
Your post was fine -I didn’t want to imply you can’t post it here. It just needed to be in a different thread. Please keep posting; you and your fellow fans are most welcome
Thanks, Nan, the BY is really an outlet for me. I love interacting with the BY guys, some of the posters are as knowledgeable as any I have talked with about WBB. But I do realize this is a UCONN board and will post to the nonUCONN thread in the future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please don’t go back to old non-UConn posts and post in them to keep them on top and f the board.

Thanks for understanding, all

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
FWIW, I think this is also a consequence of conference play picking up, and many other top teams having much more exciting conference matchups than UConn. I came initially for commentary on high-profile UConn games and stayed for other important WBB games generally and the above average quality of the posters. I haven't found a critical mass of thoughtful WBB fans (who care about more than their own teams) anywhere else. Past few weeks have had few interesting UConn games but a lot of notable other matchups. Perhaps huskies fans are in some sense victims of their own success - they draw in lots of attention for WBB fans but also have to sit though a lot of not especially notable snoozer games during the AAC season. Still, an enviable problem to have. :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So a thread I was gonna make about setting a new personal record on the treadmill would be OT ??? :p
It would probably land in the ignored thread bin! :eek: How long does it take to treadmill a can of Spam to oblivion, btw?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
  2. Personal info - happy events, sad events,and soon. We’re a community here so I understand sharing big events in our lives but please don’t start announcing birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and so on
For the sake of clarity, when you say" NO POLITICS. Even jokes are frowned upon...", does that mean no political jokes, or jokes in general? Often posters take little, lighthearted pokes at each other. Or write something in a comical vein. It adds a bit of fun to the place. I understand that there is a fine line ,and that you as a MOD are forced to walk it too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Please don’t go back to old non-UConn posts and post in them to keep them on top and f the board.

Per Charlie's earlier post, two of the threads that I join/contribute to most often are (for obvious reasons):
- Non-UConn News
- Non-UConn Recruiting News

Are these still game? I would think/hope so, because it would help break up the often voluminous amount of posts that hit (particularly in the recruiting) those threads.

Thanks,
Dillon

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For the sake of clarity, when you say" NO POLITICS. Even jokes are frowned upon...", does that mean no political jokes, or jokes in general? Often posters take little, lighthearted pokes at each other. Or write something in a comical vein. It adds a bit of fun to the place. I understand that there is a fine line ,and that you as a MOD are forced to walk it too.
Political jokes are no-no. Non-political jokes are great! A sense of humor used to be a hallmark of Boneyard posting. Lately it’s been doom and gloom- I much prefer jokes. After all, we’re discussing a sport, not the end of the world

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Per Charlie's earlier post, two of the threads that I join/contribute to most often are (for obvious reasons):
- Non-UConn News
- Non-UConn Recruiting News

Are these still game? I would think/hope so, because it would help break up the often voluminous amount of posts that hit (particularly in the recruiting) those threads.

Thanks,
Dillon
You can post in any thread that interests you. I’m just asking visitors to limit the number of non-UConn threads as they were beginning to outnumber UConn threads

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
You can post in any thread that interests you. I’m just asking visitors to limit the number of non-UConn threads as they were beginning to outnumber UConn threads

For what it's worth Nan, if my twitter links in the Bibby thread prompted this post and the locking of that thread, I apologize. I intended those to hopefully close out that thread in a positive way.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I8i7kg1.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan and other moderators for all you do, and recognizing this as a potential issue. Love all the visitors and it is a tribute to your work that the boneyard is such a vibrant and attractive place. It is by far the best WCBB destination on the web partly because it is so welcoming to outsiders and because the Uconn fan base is so curious about the rest of the college landscape.

Focusing that interest into fewer threads I think is a great idea even when some of those threads become unwieldy. Just a suggestion, but when threads get out to maybe 20 pages, maybe it is time to close them and create a new thread on the same topic. (We currently have a 20-21 Uconn recruiting thread that is 35 pages and 850+ posts long and I suspect very few who are not actively posting even attempt to open it anymore! I could see the same happening for 'other news' threads, etc.)

Reaction Score
Is there some technical reason people can't open long threads? I don't think I've ever had trouble doing so.

Also, what's the difference between OT threads about other WCBB teams and all of the OT threads about golf, tennis, baseball, football, random quizzes, death notices of what I assume are mostly famous people, food, etc.? If anything is crowding out team news it's the myriad of threads not even related to basketball. At least the others were still about WCBB teams of interest (i.e. teams we play or might play later this year) for the most part.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom