To Mask Or Not To Mask | The Boneyard

To Mask Or Not To Mask

Reaction Score
This may have been mentioned in a previous post, but (Seinfeld voice): "What's the deal with college basketball coaches and masks?"

The NFL began fining coaches that didn't wear them, and originally some college conferences were going to reprimand basketball coaches that didn't. At this point, it seems coaches are making a mockery of any type of rule in CBB. During timeouts, a majority of coaches take their masks off. Can't remember any doctors stating that yelling/talking loudly (unmasked) 3-5 feet away from unmasked players is a smart idea.

With no fans in the stands, you'd think it would be fairly easy to communicate with players while masked. I think it sends a horrible message for anyone watching on TV. And please don't go with the "they're tested constantly" argument as they're still not in anything close to a true bubble.

End of rant...thoughts?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
My though on this is that anyone who is going to post in this thread should keep the content pertinent to the basketball angle in question.
If this wanders from that point into other world issues debate it will be locked.

Carry on.

Reaction Score
I think for the most part, coaches are doing pretty good with their masks and going with the standard, like many folks are doing with their masks, wearing them and coming up with a method that fits their way of communicating. Does it send a horrible message to anyone watching on TV? Probably. But again, those coaches have to account for their actions to their AD, players' parents, and the players.

Reaction Score
I've written this before, Geno should wear his mask in huddles and when talking with players. Shea, CD and JJ do a better job of this than he.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This may have been mentioned in a previous post, but (Seinfeld voice): "What's the deal with college basketball coaches and masks?"

The NFL began fining coaches that didn't wear them, and originally some college conferences were going to reprimand basketball coaches that didn't. At this point, it seems coaches are making a mockery of any type of rule in CBB. During timeouts, a majority of coaches take their masks off. Can't remember any doctors stating that yelling/talking loudly (unmasked) 3-5 feet away from unmasked players is a smart idea.

With no fans in the stands, you'd think it would be fairly easy to communicate with players while masked. I think it sends a horrible message for anyone watching on TV. And please don't go with the "they're tested constantly" argument as they're still not in anything close to a true bubble.

End of rant...thoughts?
This could be brought to a "screeching halt" RIGHT NOW!! If the NCAA really wanted the coaches, bench players and sideline support staff to remain masked the entire game, all they have to do is empower/instruct the referees call or issue a TECNICAL FOUL on the bench EVERYTIME one of them removes or is seen lowering their mask.

That would include during timeouts as well. They remove their masks now because there is no punitive penalty for doing so. They remove it EVERYTIME they yell/scream at someone on the floor. They might as well not have a mask.

How long do you think it would take a coach to remember to keep their mask on if removing it sends the opposing team to the line for 2 shots and possession of the ball? :confused:

SOLUTION - Every time a referee looks/glances over at the bench, and sees a coach (or someone on their bench) remove (lower) his/her mask, stop the game, and T them up. I guarantee you coaches would stop removing their masks!! ;)

No coach or player would be removed from the floor for continuously violating this rule. Normally 2 technical fouls, and you're gone.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This was mentioned in a previous thread specific to Geno. Keep in mind that the players and coaches are being tested on a daily (?) basis. It is not like Geno and these coaches are walking into a Gym and taking off his mask to talk to a bunch of strangers that he’s not used to being around.
Since you mention the NFL that’s a entire level of testing and trace monitoring that most CBB programs can simply not afford. I’m more puzzled by the optional nature of the mask by the players during game play. Even on the same team, some players wear mask while playing and others do not.

Reaction Score
IMO coaches should not have to wear their mask during games. They are around the players constantly and there are no fans. A mask has little to no value in this situation.

Its like restaurants in Virginia. You have to wear your mask from the front door to your table. Once you reach your table, you don't have to wear it anymore. Does anyone really think this accomplishes anything?

Reaction Score
I think for the most part, coaches are doing pretty good with their masks and going with the standard, like many folks are doing with their masks, wearing them and coming up with a method that fits their way of communicating. Does it send a horrible message to anyone watching on TV? Probably. But again, those coaches have to account for their actions to their AD, players' parents, and the players.
But if there's not even a reprimand to try and correct the lack of wearing a mask during timeouts, how are coaches having to account for their actions? A doctor friend of mine finds it appalling that it's being done with such regularity. IF high school basketball ends up being played, pretty sure this would not be allowed/

Reaction Score
This was mentioned in a previous thread specific to Geno. Keep in mind that the players and coaches are being tested on a daily (?) basis. It is not like Geno and these coaches are walking into a Gym and taking off his mask to talk to a bunch of strangers that he’s not used to being around.
Since you mention the NFL that’s a entire level of testing and trace monitoring that most CBB programs can simply not afford. I’m more puzzled by the optional nature of the mask by the players during game play. Even on the same team, some players wear mask while playing and others do not.
But if the NFL has a higher level of testing and tracing than CBB, you'd think they wouldn't require mask wearing by coaches.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If players on the court are not required to wear masks (at least so far), then the head coaches should not have to - it is their job to yell to their players. Not too easy with a mask on. And I am guessing that during practice, head coaches are maskless.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the NCAA really wanted the coaches and sideline support staff to remain masked the entire game, all they have to do is call or issue a TECNICAL FOUL on the bench EVERYTIME someone one on the bench removes their mask. This would include coaches, bench players and support personnel. That would include during timeouts as well.

Every time a referee looks over at the bench, and sees a coach remove his/her mask, stop the game, and T them up. I guarantee you coaches would stop removing their masks!!
That’s not practical for the NCAA to mandate wearing a mask because there are so many conflicting state and local “practices” regarding COVID. Notice I said practices because there are no laws. You shouldn't need a law to make people do common sense things but apparently we desperately do. Two quick examples Stanford can’t play home games until next year and when UCONN played at Villanova the team could not gather for a pre or post game meal. The Duke women also shut down thier season because the NCAA would not mandate daily testing for the Duke opponents.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
IMO coaches should not have to wear their mask during games. They are around the players constantly and there are no fans. A mask has little to no value in this situation.

Its like restaurants in Virginia. You have to wear your mask from the front door to your table. Once you reach your table, you don't have to wear it anymore. Does anyone really think this accomplishes anything?
It makes eating easier. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yesterday, during his pregame presser, Geno was multitasking by both answering questions from the media, while sorting various prescription medications into a daily pill tray. Like many of us in our 60’s and older, Geno takes several medications for various conditions, likely associated with aging. IMO, Geno should wear a mask at all times whenever he’s around the players and/or staff. It’s a simple concession until such time when the majority of the population is vaccinated.

Reaction Score
If players on the court are not required to wear masks (at least so far), then the head coaches should not have to - it is their job to yell to their players. Not too easy with a mask on. And I am guessing that during practice, head coaches are maskless.
The UConn coaches wear masks during all practices.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
CoCoHusky, thank you in a time when most have lost reason and common sense you have brought it back to this discussion. No need to go over every little pro and con of mask wearing, we are all at risk mask or not. The team is in as much of a bubble as it can be and still practice and play games.

Reaction Score
CoCoHusky, thank you in a time when most have lost reason and common sense you have brought it back to this discussion. No need to go over every little pro and con of mask wearing, we are all at risk mask or not. The team is in as much of a bubble as it can be and still practice and play games.
Very well said, this should be about basketball not about mask do's or dont's, the media takes care of that!!

Reaction Score
Very well said, this should be about basketball not about mask do's or dont's, the media takes care of that!!

Why can't someone post about mask wearing? It's one way we're going to slow down the virus. Hopefully,
vaccines will be distributed to most people over the next 3-4 months. Sports players and their coaches are not exempt.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Why can't someone post about mask wearing? It's one way we're going to slow down the virus. Hopefully,
vaccines will be distributed to most people over the next 3-4 months. Sports players and their coaches are not exempt.
Post away, no one said don't post, the response was in regard to was a mask appropriate foe Geno every moment. In no way implying that neither players or coaches are exempt.

Reaction Score
I think the concern is that the topic will go off the rails and lead into partisan opinions.

The topic about the consistency of mask wearing between players and coaches is a good one though, but probably more for my Canadian curiousity.

In my province, games and practices are virtually nil right now. We're currently on a lock down until late January. When practices start up again, athletes are expected to wear masks during training (skills only for now). The same is expected of the coaches as well.

If game play is allowed it will be interesting to see if it will be required during games.

Reaction Score
I think the variable to look at is, whether or not the activity(ies) are contained in a bubble or not. As controlled as UConn Women's Basketball probably is, it's not a bubble. Don't coaches go back home to their families? Does Geno check on his restaurant? What freedom of movement/interaction do the players have?
Here's a question: did NBA coaches, staff, and players wear masks on the floor?
The closest analogy IMO is MLB. They were in a similar "bubble" as college basketball. I believe they had strict protocols, but they weren't in a bubble. Everyone wore masks when they weren't on the playing field.
Long story short (too late for that): UConn Women's Basketball staff, players, and coaches should wear masks anytime they are not on the court playing.

Reaction Score
Interesting comments by men's coach Hurley on this subject: "“I want to have as good a mask discipline as the next guy,” Hurley said, “and I wouldn’t dare pull my mask down if I’m getting takeout at a local eatery or if I go into the food store, I’m not wearing my mask as a chin strap. But if you’re saying that it’s safe for me to go on the court, and all of us to go on the court, and some refs are wearing them and some not, and we’re all getting tested, we’re all going on the court because we’ve been tested and no one has it, and there are no fans, then why do I have to wear a mask? We’re basically in our little bubble, and I’m not going next to the other team. If it’s about the message that we’re sending, that we all need to wear masks, then I’m going to try to do better.”

Reaction Score
Interesting comments by men's coach Hurley on this subject: "“I want to have as good a mask discipline as the next guy,” Hurley said, “and I wouldn’t dare pull my mask down if I’m getting takeout at a local eatery or if I go into the food store, I’m not wearing my mask as a chin strap. But if you’re saying that it’s safe for me to go on the court, and all of us to go on the court, and some refs are wearing them and some not, and we’re all getting tested, we’re all going on the court because we’ve been tested and no one has it, and there are no fans, then why do I have to wear a mask? We’re basically in our little bubble, and I’m not going next to the other team. If it’s about the message that we’re sending, that we all need to wear masks, then I’m going to try to do better.”
Nice find!
I don't think it is a bubble. In a bubble, no one is coming into the bubble without ultimate precautions and no one is just coming and going. I don't think that's college basketball. People may hate the NBA, but this summer's bubble was near perfection.
Testing is not a reason to not wear a mask. Theoretically you could be infected with the virus 1 minute after testing negative. The argument for testing from day 1, is that in general, where the virus is can be identified, both macro and micro, and also when a positive is found, contact tracing alerts and identifies all those people who could have been exposed to the positive case and those people are required to quarantine. In a nutshell, that is what South Korea did.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Nice find!
I don't think it is a bubble. In a bubble, no one is coming into the bubble without ultimate precautions and no one is just coming and going. I don't think that's college basketball. People may hate the NBA, but this summer's bubble was near perfection.
Testing is not a reason to not wear a mask. Theoretically you could be infected with the virus 1 minute after testing negative. The argument for testing from day 1, is that in general, where the virus is can be identified, both macro and micro, and also when a positive is found, contact tracing alerts and identifies all those people who could have been exposed to the positive case and those people are required to quarantine. In a nutshell, that is what South Korea did.
You split hairs about what you feel is a bubble and pick at what others have said. It may not be your definition of a perfect bubble, if we were to go with what you have written then why play at all, why leave our homes for any reason. The reality is that the players are playing, the coaches are coaching and the refs are officiating, they are in a close circle maybe a term you can accept. So if we drop the term bubble then what is your solution? We know that wearing a mask is no guarantee of avoiding the virus, yet we wear one because it helps. Many of us are frustrated we wait for definitive answers and do the best we can, just like the team does.
When in the team circle they did contract tracing when a positive was identified our players distanced and went back into their pods. Again frustration comes to mind, nothings guarantees the results we seek we and the team seem to be doing a good job and compared to the national stats the team is well ahead of the curve. Stay safe Happy New Year. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
You split hairs about what you feel is a bubble and pick at what others have said. It may not be your definition of a perfect bubble, if we were to go with what you have written then why play at all, why leave our homes for any reason. The reality is that the players are playing, the coaches are coaching and the refs are officiating, they are in a close circle maybe a term you can accept. So if we drop the term bubble then what is your solution? We know that wearing a mask is no guarantee of avoiding the virus, yet we wear one because it helps. Many of us are frustrated we wait for definitive answers and do the best we can, just like the team does.
When in the team circle they did contract tracing when a positive was identified our players distanced and went back into their pods. Again frustration comes to mind, nothings guarantees the results we seek we and the team seem to be doing a good job and compared to the national stats the team is well ahead of the curve. Stay safe Happy New Year. Go Huskies.
Guess I'm not making myself clear. My fault. I actually think it's black and white. BTW I think Geno has done a super job on all fronts. A bubble is what the NBA created. Did you watch it? It was masterful. Anything short of that is not a bubble. Therefore the virus can gain access to the community. So proper protocols should be followed at all times. In my school building, we should wear masks at all times and social distance. Same with the team IMO. So, I point of the thread was whether Geno and the coaches should wear their masks. I said yes.
The huge question is really whether we should be playing at all. You're 100% right it's a really crazy time. I flew to Anchorage for a few days away from my village. Was that dumb? I skipped a dental appointment because I got cold feet last minute. Crap, a 41 year old US Congressman died yesterday. Come on 2021!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom