TN Postgame Thread [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

TN Postgame Thread [merged]

Reaction Score
Poor free throw shooting is a real problem. If they don't improve measurably they won't go anywhere. Teams will foul them, play them closer on D, play a lot looser if they don't worry about the cost of a foul. A team can survive with one sub fifty percent shooter, but when most of the team shoots under fifty.... I assume that it will be a higher priority going forward, but if not it will not bode well. Bad technique is pretty obvious and can be corrected.
They shoot 72% as a team, this was just an off night, it's also not a coincidence being the first big road game with fans.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wrote this at the end of third quarter…Fully understanding that the team had the individual talent to pull out the game

A sad thing thing about the game is how undisciplined the Husky’s looked, how lacking in composure. How so much of the offense looked like schoolyard BB, that the team appeared to look that just by showing up, the other team would fold…Won’t happen with the better teams.

Then (the saddest thing) is how badly coached they looked…How about the shot selection in the1st quarter …was it 4 or 5 long range shots by Olivia and Griffin. (and again in a crucial moment of the 4th) Perhaps Geno told her to

Then there is the question of the rotation…Is there one? Anna looked lost, Nika never took her sweatshirt off. Was it Mir, that totally wandered around the foul line, one possession..totally lost in in the first half, the announcers don’t tell us stuff like who is in or out of the game

This was not a happy day…I can accept losses, won’t be happy with wins like this.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • gutsy win as many have mentioned
  • Evina is good and I think she really didn’t get going at all in the first quarter but she is just so solid. I think she needs to look for her shot a little more
  • Paige had an off day shooting but still played well in other areas. She impacts the game in so many ways. If she hit a few more shots tonight I think this game would’ve been a much easier win
  • CWill played hard, happy for her but need her to take over a game because she can get her midrange shot any time she wants
  • Aubrey is solid as always. She deserves the final starting spot. She provides enough scoring now and is a very good defender something
  • Looks like rotation will be tonight’s starting five plus Anna and A. Edward’s. Mir may get a few minutes because of her energy and athleticism. But it looks to be a solid 7 man rotation.

Reaction Score
One issue we had in the first quarter was ONO tried to block every TN shot when they penetrated. That left her man open on the weak side and led to all those offensive rebounds. AE really helped offset that as she doesn't leave her man and go for the block on every drive.

Reaction Score
I wrote this at the end of third quarter…Fully understanding that the team had the individual talent to pull out the game

A sad thing thing about the game is how undisciplined the Husky’s looked, how lacking in composure. How so much of the offense looked like schoolyard BB, that the team appeared to look that just by showing up, the other team would fold…Won’t happen with the better teams.

Then (the saddest thing) is how badly coached they looked…How about the shot selection in the1st quarter …was it 4 or 5 long range shots by Olivia and Griffin. (and again in a crucial moment of the 4th) Perhaps Geno told her to

Then there is the question of the rotation…Is there one? Anna looked lost, Nika never took her sweatshirt off. Was it Mir, that totally wandered around the foul line, one possession..totally lost in in the first half, the announcers don’t tell us stuff like who is in or out of the game

This was not a happy day…I can accept losses, won’t be happy with wins like this.
That's your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it, but I am a firm believer in the adage that playing bad and still managing to win on the road vs a Top 25 team is the sign of a really good team.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It seems like the weak AAC and big east have really factored into how some players perform when we finally play solid competition. I’m not totally convinced ONO is any more equipped as a junior to play a top 25 team than she was her freshman season. We completely lose our inside presence in big games which forces us to live and die by the jump shot.
COVID!! Remember, Miss. State, Louisville, and Baylor games were canceled!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Too any people equate “playing well” with “Making a lot of shots”.
There’s one other thing I loved about Paige’s game tonight. She has a shooter’s short-term memory with no conscience. She may have missed 10 outside shots in a row, but she absolutely knew that 11th shot was going in, and damned if she wasn’t right.

Reaction Score
Not sure people saw the same game I did.
This was a great win, someone said ; "unsatisfying", are you kidding me?
First college road game in front of fans and ESPN, there had to be some nerves.
Paige had a really good game...scoring isn't the only thing you are doing out there, dishing, rebounding, steals....there is reason they re-taped her ankle to get her out there as fast as they could.
great win all around.

Reaction Score
Why is it that some are saying Tennessee's height was trouble for UConn? Georgia is shorter than UConn and Tennessee did not stop them from outscoring them 29 to 9 in one quarter. I do wonder why the coaching allowed Tennessee to dictate the tempo. Also, after the last games some were saying UConn will go 8 to 9 deep. Now some of those same people are saying UConn will go only 6 deep. What is it?
Yeah that whole 8 to 9 deep chorus had me laughing. After watching this team for more than a decade I don't think he's ever going to break the habit of a six, maybe seven player rotation. Saying they're not ready? Why not? Even the volnation folks have figured this out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There’s one other thing I loved about Paige’s game tonight. She has a shooter’s short-term memory with no conscience. She may have missed 10 outside shots in a row, but she absolutely knew that 11th shot was going in, and damned if she wasn’t right.
Yep, not a second’s hesitation. She’s got the mindset of an assassin

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Tenn fans on volnation begging for round 2 in March . They seem satisfied with the performance in a loss LOL
Wow, really? They're happy with the way the played? I said elsewhere that it seemed like they were trying really hard to give the game away down the stretch. It took us some time to accept the gift.

Reaction Score
3point shooting 28%
Foul shooting 10 for 21
Who would have thought we would win
We tied them in rebounds and had 1 more offensive rebound- that was surprising
We had less turnovers 11 to ten's 16
We had more steals. So the little things and the teams will to win got us there.
We need more competition. Glad we got a game with Arkansas
The team is starting to show itself and it is nice to have Aaliyah for minutes against bigger teams.
Not to question Geno but I thought we should have gone to Liv early and get their big in trouble. I know we were trying to open the middle but we won so nothing matters. A win is a win

Reaction Score
Saving her for Georgetown. :rolleyes:

With paige gimpy, Nika will probably start
If you were in a competitive game and Paige was out, I suspect the answer for now would be start Anna but let Evina play point guard. She looked very controlled while Paige was out in this game.

In a game that isn't in doubt, I think starting Nika might be the best way to get her out of her funk. Apparently she has shown enough in practice to warrant being in the rotation at least against most teams, but given her start she needs to show something in games to get back to being part of the regular rotation. Being good in practice won't be enough.

I still think she will get there, but she needs to prove in the easy wins that she deserves to be in the rotation for the big ones, and that hasn't happened yet.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Tenn fans on volnation begging for round 2 in March . They seem satisfied with the performance in a loss LOL

I saw that. Thinking they will beat us by 30 next time. I doubt that. They can be happy they have moved up from Holly but don't get too cocky.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Poor free throw shooting is a real problem. If they don't improve measurably they won't go anywhere. Teams will foul them, play them closer on D, play a lot looser if they don't worry about the cost of a foul. A team can survive with one sub fifty percent shooter, but when most of the team shoots under fifty.... I assume that it will be a higher priority going forward, but if not it will not bode well. Bad technique is pretty obvious and can be corrected.
Yup, teams will foul us and then they will look around and find out half their team has 3 or 4 fouls and will be sitting on the bench. Yup, that will stop us by golly.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UConn played a lackluster game for three quarters and missed 11 free throws but still pulled this one out against a scrappy team. Plus this was the first UConn game that's been competitive this season.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I (perhaps with rose-colored glasses) didn't think the outcome was in doubt. I'm hopeful that UConn has found the killer instinct that's been missing the last couple of seasons.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I dont understand why everyone doesnt get this. They were being left wide open. Key was staying 10 feet away. I AM SURE that Geno told them to shoot it if that was happening.
then she should take two step in and get a shot more in her range. Paige and E and CW were all open when they crossed half court.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Liv battled and did some good things, especially in the 2nd half. Not dominating doesn't mean she isn't competing. I don't think she deserves some of the shade thrown her way.
Aubrey's 4th foul was not smart and could've really hurt us.. She hasn't had that worry coming off the bench but if she's gonna play starters minutes, she's gotta be smart.
Anna's in a spiral... Losing minutes means fewer opportunities to play through her funk. Starting to look like foul/injury insurance.
It's trendy to call the huskies soft but I'm seeing some money time swag from pb, ew, and cw. I like it.
It was fun to see a competitive game.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Not to be harsh here, but what is it you think a player averaging 0.6pts, 0.4 rbs, and 1.8ast while shooting .071fg% could have done in this game to help the team win?
It seems as if there are just a couple "mean" poster hanging out on the BY now days. Actually ignored the question. That was a question no one would ask that is a UConn fan. Nika is simply not ready for big games yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom