Title game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Title game thread

C

Chief00

They won a title because of their superb free throw shooting. We lost many games this year because we couldn’t get to the line or were dreadful from the line. Hope our guys are watching this and seeing the importance of draining shots at the line.
Often foul shooting plays a role and team fouls impact game strategy.

Reaction Score
For the first time, I am not a fan of instant replay. I can't think of an instance when I was like, "We don't need replay there."

The guy slapped the ball out of the other guy's hands. If you're going to say that was off the player in control of the ball, you can make that argument every single time that happens.

The best angle anyway on that replay was from behind but CBS doofuses only showed that angle once.

Yup, terrible call IMO, especially when the replay showed that Guy fouled the TTech player with the reach in.

I also thought the Morretti trip call in OT was bull crap. I think the Virginia player tripped on the leg of his teammate. They never showed a replay but I replayed it several times and it looked dubious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want every NC to be won by a team that's never won one before - except when UConn wins of course.
This is generally my position. I can more or less live with anyone winning who doesn’t have as many titles as us (except Kansas. Want to stay in front of them). Still got to hold out hope that some day we’ll pass at least Indiana and Duke.

C

Chief00

It’s good to have good defense on display to a wide audience, including many casual fans. Hoping a few of them will grow to appreciate the kind of defense you don’t see at coed First Night games.

Reaction Score
With Ratface and Rummy Roy going down soon, UVA could dominate the ACC in the future.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It’s good to have good defense on display to a wide audience, including many casual fans. Hoping a few of them will grow to appreciate the kind of defense you don’t see at coed First Night games.
Chief, did you watch the game? This was a high end offensive game with disciplined defense. No one, casual or not, wanted to see a 50-45 slugging that it was headed towards after the first 10 minutes.

Almost every national championship game has great defense on both ends.

C

Chief00

Chief, did you watch the game? This was a high end offensive game with disciplined defense. No one, casual or not, wanted to see a 50-45 slugging that it was headed towards after the first 10 minutes.

Almost every national championship game has great defense on both ends.

Don’t confuse good defensive games with necessarily low scoring games - there’s a difference. Poor shooting can lead to low scoring games. You can play good fundamental defense and guys make shots. In short, it was a competitive game, you had to earn your points and many guys made FG shots and foul shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
UVA coud return all their starters, but doubt Hunter stays
He would be dumb to come back. According to NBADraft.net he is projected to # 8. He played a great tourney with many eyeballs on him-his stock couldn't get higher. And he just won a championship. It would be as dumb as Rip coming back after 99 or OK4 and Gordon in 04. When the iron is hot they should strike (leave for the NBA).

Reaction Score
Yup, terrible call IMO, especially when the replay showed that Guy fouled the TTech player with the reach in.

I also thought the Morretti trip call in OT was bull crap. I think the Virginia player tripped on the leg of his teammate. They never showed a replay but I replayed it several times and it looked dubious.
agree on both counts. Kyle Guy just fell, that's not a foul on Moretti. But congrats to Virginia. That must have been tough in the offseason living with losing to a #16 even though they were missing Hunter. Hell, even with Hunter they were down 14 to #16 Gardner Webb.

Reaction Score
They could have chilled *a little bit* on the UMBC game from last year. Acting like this team came back from cancer or something. They were the top seed in the tournament two years in a row.

Reaction Score
All I could think watching these 2 teams is how were these coaches able to assemble these types of teams at Virginia and Texas Tech and Ollie couldn't capitalize on 2 epic runs in 2014 and 2011.

Reaction Score
For the first time, I am not a fan of instant replay. I can't think of an instance when I was like, "We don't need replay there."

The guy slapped the ball out of the other guy's hands. If you're going to say that was off the player in control of the ball, you can make that argument every single time that happens.

The best angle anyway on that replay was from behind but CBS doofuses only showed that angle once.
It's awful, it really detracts from the game. A play like that one by Hunter on Moretti is just not what's intended for the game of basketball. It probably went off Moretti's fingernail but in every basketball game at every level played the last 100 years the ball is off the guy who slapped it out of bounds.

The replay just kills the flow of games. Basketball is all about flow and momentum.

Reaction Score
They won a title because of their superb free throw shooting. We lost many games this year because we couldn’t get to the line or were dreadful from the line. Hope our guys are watching this and seeing the importance of draining shots at the line.
Or they could just watch tape of us in 2014, there has never been a more automatic team from the line.

Reaction Score
Don’t confuse good defensive games with necessarily low scoring games - there’s a difference. Poor shooting can lead to low scoring games.
This game was the Rock Fight that Hurley talked about early in the season. I get that our team wasn’t built for it, but you need to be able to win these games. Was a great D game.

There were 4 fast break points all game by both teams and they came late. The transition D was crazy good by both teams.

Not many turnovers, assists or gambling and mostly solid contain D.

Uva rotated really well to the perimeter after tech hit a string of threes in the first half.

The 3/4 court press halfway through the second half was a great move by tech. It cut the shot clock in half and uva got awful shots up for a 6 min stretch.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Athleticism can be really overrated neither of those teams were super athletic. They did pass the ball and shoot exceptionally well though. A lot of coaches sons on the court.

C

Chief00

Athleticism can be really overrated neither of those teams were super athletic. They did pass the ball and shoot exceptionally well though. A lot of coaches sons on the court.
Jim was a big proponent of having several athletic players on a team but he also believed in having some guys who knew how to play the game. Quite frankly, in no disrespect, that’s what some of the First Night fans are missing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom