Tis the Offseason - Top 5 Most Painful Losses | The Boneyard

Tis the Offseason - Top 5 Most Painful Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Keep in mind I'm 33, so colors my memory... Top 5 losses that left me most pained afterwards...

1) UNC 1998 - running up the score and the alleyoops during the last 2 minutes. Never was more furious after a loss - just wanted to kill something Tarheel Blue.
2) Florida 1994 - just heartbreaking. Was not supposed to end that way.
3) George Mason 2006 - i know a lot of people say that saw it coming, but there wasn't a moment of doubt until the end that we weren't going to win the NC. I just couldn't believe it.
4) Cuse GameDay - my first year as a season ticket holder. Loudest by far I have ever heard Gampel or any basketball arena, most excited I have been for a game, even more than the FF in Texas last year. Just didn't seem right to lose that day.
5) MD 2002 - Caron was playing at such a high level at the end, it really felt like he was just about invincible. A lot of mf*c&ers I cannot stand from that Maryland team. Like all of them.

Honorable Mentions:
UCLA 1995-they were the better team that day, but if we don't face them we win it all. The most fun UConn team in my lifetime by a mile.
Cuse 6 OT - So emotionally drained at the end that it was hard to be upset. Almost got evicted for making so much noise that night. A bit of sting off the end considering we were on our 14th man at that point.
Louisville - just about anytime we played them when Siva was in school.
Texas/Yale 2014 - The season completely felt like it died when we lost to Texas (quietest I have ever heard Gampel), then shot twice in the head to confirm it against Yale.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Keep in mind I'm 33, so colors my memory... Top 5 losses that left me most pained afterwards...

1) UNC 1998 - running up the score and the alleyoops during the last 2 minutes. Never was more furious after a loss - just wanted to kill something Tarheel Blue.
3) George Mason 2006 - i know a lot of people say that saw it coming, but there wasn't a moment of doubt until the end that we weren't going to win the NC. I just couldn't believe it.
4) Cuse GameDay - my first year as a season ticket holder. Loudest by far I have ever heard Gampel or any basketball arena, most excited I have been for a game, even more than the FF in Texas last year. Just didn't seem right to lose that day.
5) MD 2002 - Caron was playing at such a high level at the end, it really felt like he was just about invincible. A lot of mf*c&ers I cannot stand from that Maryland team. Like all of them.

Honorable Mentions:
UCLA 1995-they were the better team that day, but if we don't face them we win it all. The most fun UConn team in my lifetime by a mile.
Cuse 6 OT - So emotionally drained at the end that it was hard to be upset. Almost got evicted for making so much noise that night. A bit of sting off the end considering we were on our 14th man at that point.
Texas/Yale 2014 - The season completely felt like it died when we lost to Texas (quietest I have ever heard Gampel), then shot twice in the head to confirm it against Yale.

Great list.

The Florida game was the worst for me. Even now, it doesn't feel right we lost.

I hate losing the six OT game sucks because it takes the joy of that game away.

Reaction Score

Honorable Mentions:

Mississippi St. 1996.

Reaction Score

Honorable Mentions:

That UNC game still pi$$es me off as well. That was a down year for UNC, and We should of won that game. They whooped up on us big time!

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
George Mason 06
Mississippi State 96
Iowa State ( Royce Whites Team)

Reaction Score
San Diego in '08 was tough, just because you had AJ go down and the bracket was wide open to go to the sweet 16, and there's the gut punch of a last second shot going against you. I thought we'd have fared well against UCLA had we gotten there.

Of course that loss probably helped a lot of guys decide to come back for the next year, which was obviously a more successful season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Florida is the worst for me.
George Mason
UNC
Texas last year
the 30 plus point loss to 'Ville in 14
That excruciatingly tough loss to Duke in 1990 doesn't make my list because I was just so proud of those guys and because no one was going to beat UNLV that year.

Reaction Score
Dook 1990
Terps 2002
Texas 2003
Mich St 09
George Mason

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
George Mason in 06 and UCLA in 95 were two of the worst for me. I didn't live in this area yet but was watching the game in 1990 and even though I didn't know much about UConn yet, still hated the ending with a fiery passion.

Reaction Score
1. Duke 1990 and it isn't even close

1. Duke 1990 and it absolutely, positively isn't even remotely close.

2. Florida 1994
3. Mississippi State 1996
4. Texas 2003
5. Maryland 2002

Reaction Score
Florida is the worst for me.
George Mason
UNC
Texas last year
the 30 plus point loss to 'Ville in 14
That excruciatingly tough loss to Duke in 1990 doesn't make my list because I was just so proud of those guys and because no one was going to beat UNLV that year.
I will never get "Da meat hook" comments from Raftery ( I think) out of my head. I thought the final four win would exorcise those demons, but it just hasn't happened. I agree with the Mississippi State 1996 loss too, freaking ridiculous. Although NIT not as severe that Jackson State loss in Gampel when Lindsey Hunter went off was unacceptable. Too many players have gone seriously off on the Huskies through the years.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
George Mason 06 - win that game and get a week to recover from minor nagging injuries - that team had about as much fire power as any ever.

Florida 94 - make a free throw by one of the all time great UConn players and we are a lock for the final four and who knows what happens. Missed free throws so easy to correct.

UCLA 95 - beat that team (or have someone stop a drive the game before) and UConn has it's first title - no doubt in my mind.

6 OT Game - just sucks to be on the losing end of that - forever in our face.

Can't really think of a 5th which is a great thing - never thought we would win it all in 90 and if we did, there's a chance we lose the coach with 20+ years of availability and not such strong ties to UConn and losing after Dyson went down - no way we could win with that loss.

So I have 4 gut wrenching losses - maybe the Texas game when White stuffed the ball into the side of the basket could be fifth for me.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Miss. St. '96 is my No. 1. Our "can't win the big one" reputation was reaching epic proportions. (And I'm aware it wouldn't have gone in the books anyway.)
2. Florida '94
3. 2006
4. Darius Rice. I think I stared at the TV for about five minutes wondering if that had actually happened.
5. That Pitt Chevy Troutman game

Reaction Score
What was painful about the 95 loss to UCLA is how bad we all know Harrick was cheating. That UCLA team should of been banned.

Reaction Score
I was too young to have a serious emotional reaction to the losses in the mid-90's, so I'll just offer these:

2006 - George Mason
2005 - NC State
2008 - San Diego (along with the two losses above, the program was starting to look a bit Kansas- or Syracuse-like with a series of embarrassing upsets by double-digit seeds)
2009 - 6 OT (little remembered is the fact that Syracuse never had a lead until the 6th overtime, we should have won that game 4 times over; this also came in the middle of a 5-year period in which we won 0 BET games)

2002 and 2003 I felt the team made valiant efforts and got as far as they could, just losing to more-talented teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom