Tips needed for AirBnb hosts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tips needed for AirBnb hosts

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Any Tax benefits or cons?

Reaction Score
Good for you.

Why on earth would I want a car in Paris or London? Or any major city in Western Europe, or cities like Seoul or Tokyo?

One more thing to stress about - finding parking and paying for it.
Not to mention public transit in those countries puts every US city besides a few to shame

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not to mention public transit in those countries puts every US city besides a few to shame
There are easily a half dozen US cities where I feel I wouldn't need a car for a 2-4 day visit. But none West of the Mississippi, save maybe Minneapolis.

Reaction Score
There are easily a half dozen US cities where I feel I wouldn't need a car for a 2-4 day visit. But none West of the Mississippi, save maybe Minneapolis.
Boston, NY, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, and the Bay. Salt Lake probably too. That’s it for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hah!
We had a large group of 20 and 30 somethings from Ohio come in to our Dayville cottage for a four days in July.
Booked for 6 as cottage is advertised. I let them bring 8. Turned out to be 10 by neighbor reports.
Learned from same neighbors who I get all my behavior reports from that they day tripped to Salem and "Rhode Island".
They were clean and everything was in order after the stay but the cottage smelled like smoke. Not cigarette and not pot but smoke nonetheless.
Fine. No problem we can air and Ozium that out, but what was interesting was their thank you note that mentioned sageing the place before they left and that it would go away quick.
Sageing? Did they think my cottage was haunted?!?!
In the personal note on their review I jested that the only time I ever heard of sageing was for Poltergeist riddance and in the Phish show parking lots out west that I went to.
He responded back that they didn't want to bring or leave behind any spirits (good or evil) that may have come back with them from Salem or The Conjuring House (in RI) that they visited.
Bwahahahaha!!!
That was a new one and I suppose it was nice on their part not in leave my place haunted moving forward.

So yeah. Stay local and don't leave their Airbnb listing haunted.
It could've worse. Much worse.
1630366744217.png

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I've been Hosting since 2012. We have a cottage in Dayville on Alexanders Lake which is highly coveted for the lake itself.
Our place is one that someone buys the lot access and bulldozes the cottage to put up their mansion.
That said we have a loyal following and invest all the monies (and more) back into the place each year.
We're at the point where we don't need Airbnb anymore and can just deal direct with our loyal Guests.

Our situation is unique of sorts because we use it to supplement the fixed cost of owning our place. And we offer everything so you can fly in with your clothes/toiletries and leave. The only thing on you is food and drink.
That said of 60+ 5 star reviews we only got trashed once because it was a mouse problem that showed itself too late. So we are a 4.8 rating.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll answer specifics.
I was excited til I saw this was in CT. Damn.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Any Tax benefits or cons?
A Town views a house as an SFR and taxes accordingly. If s Town peruses the local VRBOs and AirBnbs then there is no upped assessment until the Town deals with the commercial aspect.

Right now many Towns endure by doing nothing until complaints roll in. Then, does a town roll out the motel/hotel definition for a possible zoning violation? Tricky issue.

Battles have to be picked.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Boston, NY, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, and the Bay. Salt Lake probably too. That’s it for me.
Never been to SLC or Portland, but I'm not crazy about SF or Seattle transit. Seems I always do a ton of walking there... uphill, of course.

My list would be Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis. I'd give Detroit an honorable mention as though the People Mover doesn't go to many places, there aren't many places outside its reach that you'd really want to visit. Despite being in Dallas many times, I've actually never ridden their subways.

Reaction Score
Hah!
We had a large group of 20 and 30 somethings from Ohio come in to our Dayville cottage for a four days in July.
Booked for 6 as cottage is advertised. I let them bring 8. Turned out to be 10 by neighbor reports.
Learned from same neighbors who I get all my behavior reports from that they day tripped to Salem and "Rhode Island".
They were clean and everything was in order after the stay but the cottage smelled like smoke. Not cigarette and not pot but smoke nonetheless.
Fine. No problem we can air and Ozium that out, but what was interesting was their thank you note that mentioned sageing the place before they left and that it would go away quick.
Sageing? Did they think my cottage was haunted?!?!
In the personal note on their review I jested that the only time I ever heard of sageing was for Poltergeist riddance and in the Phish show parking lots out west that I went to.
He responded back that they didn't want to bring or leave behind any spirits (good or evil) that may have come back with them from Salem or The Conjuring House (in RI) that they visited.
Bwahahahaha!!!
That was a new one and I suppose it was nice on their part not in leave my place haunted moving forward.

So yeah. Stay local and don't leave their Airbnb listing haunted.
Kyrie Irving rented your place? :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom