Tips needed for AirBnb hosts | The Boneyard

Tips needed for AirBnb hosts

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Looking into the opportunity for renting a loft or buying an investment property.

Hosts- pros/cons

Guests- what makes a great property?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am sitting in one as I write. We’ve used Airbnb or VRBO often.
1. make it as much a home as you would want for yourself
2. Make sure the place is as clean and up to date furnishing wise as is feasible
3. Don’t be misleading on amenities
4. Be well supplied with dishware , silverware, cooking equipment, kitchen utensils as possible ( pots. pans, bread knives ladles, can and bottle openers etc). Paper towels.
5. make sure everthing is in working order and leave any operating instructions especially for TVs, clothes washers and driers, dishwashers etc. wireless codes and passwords.
6. Linens and towels in adequate supply and clean.
7. You or an appropriate contact with knowledge of the place should be readily reachable by phone to deal with questions or emergencies.

We have had mostly good experiences. But even good places and owners need to pay attention to everything. We stayed at a unique s and nice place earlier this year. it has a unique and large bathtub that we thoughtvwe might use. The place was on a well system and apparently the filters hadn’t been checked or serviced recently. Very brown and unappealing water. It didn’t ruin our experience, but it illustrates what an owner can’t neglect. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Provide materials/lists for surrounding restaurants or things to do. You can even go into restaurants and some might work with you and provide you with a small gift card $25 for guests so they are more apt to go to that restaurant and they will usually spend much more than that $25 gift card

make sure place is clean and has all towels and plates/utensils clean available, trash bags etc

try making it a place you would want to be staying at rather just a place you view as an income check

Reaction Score
I’m addition to the comments above, make sure the little things are covered like a hairdryer, coffee, couple of cold sparkling waters, etc

Comfy bed and linens is key.

Reaction Score
As a general rule, the shorter the minimum rental period, the more headaches. Also, check the condo/hoa docs regarding short term rentals, and also local ordinances.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aren't they all like this? I've never had to meet someone.
We've had two meets, both in Europe.

As for a tip on hosting, have a provision for storing baggage prior to check in (or after checkout). It's something any decent concierge at any decent hotel would offer, and it's a huge convenience.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I am sitting in one as I write. We’ve used Airbnb or VRBO often.
1. make it as much a home as you would want for yourself
2. Make sure the place is as clean and up to date furnishing wise as is feasible
3. Don’t be misleading on amenities
4. Be well supplied with dishware , silverware, cooking equipment, kitchen utensils as possible ( pots. pans, bread knives ladles, can and bottle openers etc). Paper towels.
5. make sure everthing is in working order and leave any operating instructions especially for TVs, clothes washers and driers, dishwashers etc. wireless codes and passwords.
6. Linens and towels in adequate supply and clean.
7. You or an appropriate contact with knowledge of the place should be readily reachable by phone to deal with questions or emergencies.

We have had mostly good experiences. But even good places and owners need to pay attention to everything. We stayed at a unique s and nice place earlier this year. it has a unique and large bathtub that we thoughtvwe might use. The place was on a well system and apparently the filters hadn’t been checked or serviced recently. Very brown and unappealing water. It didn’t ruin our experience, but it illustrates what an owner can’t neglect. Good luck.

Where do people put their own stuff who the house is rented out?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Depends. Some never live in the house or apartment. If they use it sometimes they’d have a separate storage area for whatever they aren’t making available to renters. Sometimes a place will be a separated, fully equipped part of a home that has a separate entrance from the part of the building occupied by the owner. Typically kind of like an expanded in law apartment with usually 2 or more bedrooms, a kitchen and dining are and 1-2 baths.

Reaction Score
Owner closets are generally locked and marked with a “Owner’s Closet” sign. We have a property that intentionally has a massive master bedroom closet (250 sq ft) and then a normal size closet. We lock up our toys, property supplies, tools etc. in the big closet.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I've been Hosting since 2012. We have a cottage in Dayville on Alexanders Lake which is highly coveted for the lake itself.
Our place is one that someone buys the lot access and bulldozes the cottage to put up their mansion.
That said we have a loyal following and invest all the monies (and more) back into the place each year.
We're at the point where we don't need Airbnb anymore and can just deal direct with our loyal Guests.

Our situation is unique of sorts because we use it to supplement the fixed cost of owning our place. And we offer everything so you can fly in with your clothes/toiletries and leave. The only thing on you is food and drink.
That said of 60+ 5 star reviews we only got trashed once because it was a mouse problem that showed itself too late. So we are a 4.8 rating.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll answer specifics.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Are there maid services you typically use after every guest stays or handyman services you count one for pop up stuff, if owners aren't living in the same state as the property.

Reaction Score
We've had two meets, both in Europe.

As for a tip on hosting, have a provision for storing baggage prior to check in (or after checkout). It's something any decent concierge at any decent hotel would offer, and it's a huge convenience.
I don’t get this I work all over the world and country. I have access to a car everywhere rental or provided so if I get somewhere early I keep the bags in the car.

Air bnbs aren’t the st Regis you gotta have reasonable expectations

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don’t get this I work all over the world and country. I have access to a car everywhere rental or provided so if I get somewhere early I keep the bags in the car.

Air bnbs aren’t the st Regis you gotta have reasonable expectations
Good for you.

Why on earth would I want a car in Paris or London? Or any major city in Western Europe, or cities like Seoul or Tokyo?

One more thing to stress about - finding parking and paying for it.

Reaction Score
Good for you.

Why on earth would I want a car in Paris or London? Or any major city in Western Europe, or cities like Seoul or Tokyo?

One more thing to stress about - finding parking and paying for it.
Clearly that’s not the case here and you are unreasonable

Reaction Score
We're at the point where we don't need Airbnb anymore and can just deal direct with our loyal Guests.
This.

Reach the point where you can deal off the website, air b/b, booking, etc take a huge cut.

You get more, and can still pass some of the savings onto those who stay for longer term.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Have some basic food and drinks available at no cost. My son and I stayed in one on a college visit to Miami University (the one in Ohio) and it was hot. Nice to be able to just go in and grab water without worrying about an upcharge. Minimal expense for the owner, and a nice gesture for the guest.

Reaction Score
Aren't they all like this? I've never had to meet someone.

I have only ever used cheap crappy airbnbs overseas and it is quite common, even in cities.

And on another note, Airbnb is really with some unique, historical places so if anyone is using them PLEASE try to at least stay at the places owned by locals.

Airbnb has turned into a bunch of corporate hotel chains buying out apartments and pricing out locals.

Reaction Score
Looking into the opportunity for renting a loft or buying an investment property.

Hosts- pros/cons

Guests- what makes a great property?
Hosts - make sure you underwrite the investment property as a long term rental. If the AirBNB market softens, or your're banking on a large event such as the DNCs and RNCs coming to your city, things can go array and you can be footing a large mortgage bill plus interest.

In the event airbnb market softens, or the neighborhood/area enable restrictions, which are more and more common, you can always fall back on it as a long term rental.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I have only ever used cheap crappy airbnbs overseas and it is quite common, even in cities.

And on another note, Airbnb is really with some unique, historical places so if anyone is using them PLEASE try to at least stay at the places owned by locals.

Airbnb has turned into a bunch of corporate hotel chains buying out apartments and pricing out locals.

Hah!
We had a large group of 20 and 30 somethings from Ohio come in to our Dayville cottage for a four days in July.
Booked for 6 as cottage is advertised. I let them bring 8. Turned out to be 10 by neighbor reports.
Learned from same neighbors who I get all my behavior reports from that they day tripped to Salem and "Rhode Island".
They were clean and everything was in order after the stay but the cottage smelled like smoke. Not cigarette and not pot but smoke nonetheless.
Fine. No problem we can air and Ozium that out, but what was interesting was their thank you note that mentioned sageing the place before they left and that it would go away quick.
Sageing? Did they think my cottage was haunted?!?!
In the personal note on their review I jested that the only time I ever heard of sageing was for Poltergeist riddance and in the Phish show parking lots out west that I went to.
He responded back that they didn't want to bring or leave behind any spirits (good or evil) that may have come back with them from Salem or The Conjuring House (in RI) that they visited.
Bwahahahaha!!!
That was a new one and I suppose it was nice on their part not in leave my place haunted moving forward.

So yeah. Stay local and don't leave their Airbnb listing haunted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom