Tina Thompson to UVA

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
tenor.gif

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Had been visiting a UVA board lately (I'm sure you can guess why), the natives were VERY restless regarding their coaching search. They're all happy now.

This hire, like the Whalen hire, is one that will excite people simply on name recognition. The question is...can she coach? She's not going to get Texas-level talent right away. And those Texas teams seemed to underachieve rather than overachieve.

Reaction Score
Tina always came across pretty well in interviews and was a good player in her WNBA days. She has a lot of playing experience and while it doesn't always translate to winning, name recognition goes a long way. The ACC is a tough conference with ND, Louisville, NCState but there is potential for UVA to be in the middle of the conference if they can get a few good recruits.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Tina Thompson finished her WNBA career ranked:

2nd in career points
4th in career rebounds
13th in career blocks
5th in 3-pointers made (on a career 41.8% clip)
Named one of the WNBA's top 20 players in its 20 year history
2-time gold medalist

I'd say she was a great, in fact one of the greatest, WNBA players in her day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sam Brunelle announced too early.
She still has 7 months to go before the early signing period in November, during which she could change her mind. If I was Tina Thompson, one of the first things I might do is to drive over to Rural Retreat, VA, just about an hour away, and introduce myself.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She still has 7 months to go before the early signing period in November, during which she could change her mind. If I was Tina Thompson, one of the first things I might do is to drive over to Rural Retreat, VA, just about an hour away, and introduce myself.

Texas recruited Brunelle, so I'm sure she and Tina are acquainted.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
some very nice props for "TT" on Twitter:

Swin Cash‏Verified account @SwinCash 46m46 minutes ago
Swin Cash Retweeted Virginia Women's Basketball

Congrats to my sis @IamTinaThompson Yes she knows how to win BUT she also understands the importance of developing young girls into women of character & future leaders! Class Act Love ya TT

@dawnstaley 39m39 minutes ago

Congrats @IamTinaThompson! What an incredible hire by Carla Williams?!! Two go-getters. Two game-changers. Super proud of what’s happening for @UVaWBBHoops!

Kara Lawson‏Verified account @karalawson20 1h1 hour ago
Kara Lawson Retweeted Virginia Women's Basketball

One of my favorite teammates ever! Congrats TT!

Sheryl Swoopes‏Verified account @sswoopes22 1h1 hour ago
CONGRATS @IamTinaThompson!!! Virginia has hired an incredible and classy lady. So very deserving of this opportunity. Couldn't be happier for you. Go do ya thang!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder whether she had to agree to not accept Texas transfers for a specified time period as part of her taking the VA job?
If this were a business, and the players were employees, a non-compete would have had to be signed between Thompson and TX, and the restriction can only be one way. Specifically, Thompson would not be able to contact a TX player interested in transferring to UVA, but the player could contact Thompson.

As these are college athletes, I don’t believe it is possible to enforce a non-compete.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Strange replies: Nan...strange hire, MSS: good career

I think we'll all find out soon enough that her contribution to U TEX success was key. Such a substantial player, person, experienced Asst. coach.

She should be a dyno H.C.....and "good player"...Give me a break.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Didn't Charlie Collier say one of her reasons for de-commiting from Uconn was because she didn't want to miss the chance to be coached by Tina Thompson?
"Tina Thompson will be my position coach [at Texas], and that will be amazing for me," Collier said last week after speaking on a panel at the espnW: Women + Sports Summit. "When she played with the Comets and Cynthia Cooper, just seeing how smooth her game is, I feel like I can pick up from that."

"I want to become versatile like that, to have that overall game because it can help you in the long run," said Collier, a 6-foot-5 post player. "I feel like her being the woman that she is outside of basketball, she can help me with life skills as well."

No. 2 prospect Charli Collier wants to stay close to home and play for Texas Longhorns

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A great couple of months for Tina.
Feb: Name HoF finalist
April: Named UVA head coach

And it will keep going strong:
Thompson’s enshrinement ceremony for the 2018 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame will take place on Sept. 7 at the Springfield Symphony Hall in Springfield, Massachusetts.

She was $$$ at her peak in the WNBA and one heck of an international player. Here's some more background on her, as supplied by U of V: Tina Thompson Named Virginia Women's Basketball Coach

Can't say I saw this one coming, but she's an assistant coach at a P5 school, has good connections in the Texas hoops scenes and has the professional pedigree.

Should be interesting....good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tina Thompson finished her WNBA career ranked:

2nd in career points
4th in career rebounds
13th in career blocks
5th in 3-pointers made (on a career 41.8% clip)
Named one of the WNBA's top 20 players in its 20 year history
2-time gold medalist

I'd say she was a great, in fact one of the greatest, WNBA players in her day.
Didn’t she retire as the all time leading scorer then was passed by DT later on

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I did not see this coming. She had only just begun a coaching career, and Coach Aston had to kind of drag her (reluctantly) into the industry. I didn't think she would want to become a head coach any time soon.

Obviously, she has become fond of coaching in college. So, congrats to Tina! One of my all-time favorite professional athletes. She definitely helped Texas grow as a program.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I did not see this coming. She had only just begun a coaching career, and Coach Aston had to kind of drag her (reluctantly) into the industry. I didn't think she would want to become a head coach any time soon.

Obviously, she has become fond of coaching in college. So, congrats to Tina! One of my all-time favorite professional athletes. She definitely helped Texas grow as a program.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone as universally admired and respected among coaches and former players as Tina Thompson. She wasn't just a good or a great player. She is a legend. Entered the W rather underrated, much like teammate Cynthia Cooper, but was absolutely critical to the Comets dynasty.

That's the second Texas assistant coach in three years who has graduated to head coach, after Travis Mays went to SMU two years ago.

This may be a testament to the Texas renaissance under Karen Aston, but I get the sense she could use some stability in her staff. I'll be curious to see if Collier and others stay committed to Texas after Thompson's departure.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom