Tina Charles Back in Storrs (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Tina Charles Back in Storrs (merged thread)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of my all time favorites. Regarding the pict, it’s not your eyes. The photo is blurry

41516977-BF10-45FD-9C5F-C63DAC96564C.jpeg

Reaction Score
When I had season tickets at Gampel I would sometimes see a can with NY plates that read REBOUNDER. I always wondered if the was Tina's family. Anyone know?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My all time favorite UConn player. She took all of the crap that Auriemma could throw at her back in his meanie days. Some of it was teaching and some of it was uncalled for. To her credit she was smart enough to realize that all of it was going to make her better. She stuck it out to become the best post player ever at UConn and one of the best in the WNBA.
Not only that, she turned out to be a pretty nice person. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll always remember what Chris Dailey said about Tina's mother Angela who read all of the harsh things Geno said about Tina.

"I can't say enough about Tina's mother (Angela Holgate)," Dailey said. "She said to us all the time, 'What can I say to Tina that reinforces what you're already telling her?'

She knew exactly what her daughter needed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Something uncalled for may still spur a person to improve.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Auriemma's criticism of Charles sometimes crossed the line and it wasn't his typical wise ass sarcasm. Some of it was mean. It was a long time ago but one of the things that I remember is during a post game presser following a loss (Stanford?) Auriemma specifically called out Charles as the reason for the loss.
I think (again a long time ago) it was mostly during her sophomore year where she struggled a bit. I also think that was when she was dealing with an injury (shoulder) that required post season surgery.

If I have any of this wrong I hope long time fans with better recall will correct me.

Reaction Score
When it clicked for Tina, it clicked. Her 25 & 19 in the 2009 NC game is stuff of legend, and her entire senior year was brilliance across the board. I'm so happy to see her back for a visit.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Charles didn't come to Connecticut thinking any of this was possible but by the same token, she didn't think it was impossible, either. She was like a powerful-looking car with no speedometer or odometer, and thus unaware of how fast or far she could go.

"I believed in what I could do, but it wasn't the same as what he believed in for me," Charles said. "My first two years here, I would take possessions off. Or I would just let somebody else do it. So I had to have that mindset that, 'This is yours,' and to own it.
"

Good article on how Geno pushed Tina and how grateful she is for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom