Timely and Beautifully Written Article by Sally Jenkins. | The Boneyard

Timely and Beautifully Written Article by Sally Jenkins.

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That's a really nice column and shows the human side of Pat Summitt. No matter how someone feels about her public persona, she was a real human being with feelings just like the rest of us.

I think we all know immigrants who are wonderful people and contribute mightily to our country. I never knew of the green card lottery till a few years ago when I met a wonderful Nepalese woman who taught me to make momos (Nepalese dumplings). We need more people in our country making momos.

HGN

Reaction Score
I would like to share a great recent article by Sally Jenkins, reporter for The Washington Post. Although it does feature a past Tennessee player it is more about judging and evaluating people on their character and abilities rather than The circumstances under which they happen to have been born. It’s great reading and food for thought: Opinion | Why do we let immigrants from ‘holes’ into our country? Because of people like this.
I agree, a beautifully written and timely article.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thank you very much for sharing this. It’s timely and a great reminder of what is right with our species when we are civilized.

Reaction Score
I would like to share a great recent article by Sally Jenkins, reporter for The Washington Post. it is more about judging and evaluating people on their character and abilities rather than The circumstances under which they happen to have been born.

Thank you for this moving story about a basketball great! Looking forward to more.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please don't let this thread turn political.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I would like to share a great recent article by Sally Jenkins, reporter for The Washington Post. Although it does feature a past Tennessee player it is more about judging and evaluating people on their character and abilities rather than The circumstances under which they happen to have been born. It’s great reading and food for thought: Opinion | Why do we let immigrants from ‘holes’ into our country? Because of people like this.
Thank you. A well written,thoughtful,and timely article about sports and about the greater lessons it can teach us about life.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I didn't know Anosike's story. It's quite inspiring.

As Jenkins notes, we have seen many great athletes with Nigerian roots. The Ogwumike sisters and Arike Ogunbowale most readily spring to my mind but the list is very long.

Reaction Score
Sports, although imperfect, are perhaps the area of Life in which mankind has most closely approached the ideal of equal opportunity for all. In sports, the rules are designed with the intent of promoting fairness to all. It is this specific intent of fairness that is so often lacking in other areas of our lives. Nicky Anosike's story is but one of thousands that illustrate how sports allow individuals to migrate from poverty to middle-income and better. Let's celebrate sports and learn from them.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I didn't know Anosike's story. It's quite inspiring.

As Jenkins notes, we have seen many great athletes with Nigerian roots. The Ogwumike sisters and Arike Ogunbowale most readily spring to my mind but the list is very long.
I thought the Ogwumikes were from Houston?

Reaction Score
I loved the article and what this mother and her daughter, as well as Pat Summitt demonstrate about human beings, diversity and opportunity.
Yes, prejudice and discrimination almost always stems from lack of contact, connectedness and education about those who might look or sometimes act differently from what one is used to and familiar with.
Thank you for posting!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom