Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He doesn’t have the 7’6” wingspan but he is every bit the player Robert Williams is.

Reaction Score
Really? What is so Rodman like?

They run with the same gait, for starters. The way Whaley has a nose for the ball. The on ball defense. The fact that he’s 6-9 (Rodman’s 6-7) but they move like guys that are 5-10. Whaley’s knack for rebounding out of position and the fact that he always comes up with loose balls. You can give Whaley the ball at the elbow and he can read the defense and make the right read and pass. The versatility on defense. The unselfishness. The relentlessness.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
if he is going to be a 4 in the league, he has to take and make threes at a high clip. if he's going to be a five, at his height, he probably needs to gain another 10 pounds of muscle.

not saying either is impossible. it's pretty incredible where good defense, high motor, BBQ, and athleticism can get guys in 2021.

the good news is strength and shooting are the two most common things to improve at the pro level.

the Q

Reaction Score
Whaley does a lot of things right.

• He can switch 1-5 at the college level
  • he is a top hedger on screens
  • his block + steal numbers (a decent guage for NBA athleticism) are outrageous (usually you want at least a combined 2 per game combined.)

the cons:
  • his shooting isnt there yet, at least consistently
  • he fouls a little too much
  • he’s a bit of a tweener
  • he’s not much of a playmaker, although improved a bit this year

I think his path is like vitals. And quite possibly gets a decent write up like hollinger gave vital in his NBA draft rankings.

if he can get to 3pt range there’s a place for him in that poor man’s Larry nance jr type role.

Reaction Score
the cons:
  • his shooting isnt there yet, at least consistently
  • he’s not much of a playmaker, although improved a bit this year

if he can get to 3pt range there’s a place for him in that poor man’s Larry nance jr type role.
Whaley’s midrange jumpers are really good and is 2-4 from 3. He’s actually a fairly good shooter.

And his passing in the last few games has been really impressive.

I do want him to post up and have a couple post moves in his bag, as well as being an effective post passer.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Whaley but anyone comparing Whaley to Hall of Famer Rodman or even a poor man's Rodman is out of their damn mind.

Reaction Score
I could see Whalley being a Jimmy Butler-type player in the NBA. Not saying as good, but can do a lot of the same things.

Reaction Score
I could see Whalley being a Jimmy Butler-type player in the NBA. Not saying as good, but can do a lot of the same things.
Jimmy was a top 5 2 way 2 guard for a while. What 2 guard skills does Whaley have that he has been displaying

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yes, professional BB players get paid a lot more than many "professionals." Biggest problem is not being tempted to spend it all at once , or to listen to investment managers or agents who care about their commissions and personal agenda.

This in not about IW personally, but in general, many pro BBallers upon ending their careers, are not necessarily in a good financial position.

Tough for a younger guy not to be tempted by the lure of money he never had before and to buy things he doesn't need. The mansion costs bucks to maintain and he only has a fixed number of years of high earnings.

So unless a pro player wisely invests or saves some, he could burn through his earnings.

Would like to see him as an NBA role player or a rotational player if he improves dramatically.
Luckily BY has a 70 page stock investing thread to help him out.

Reaction Score
The closest comp I currently see is Montrezl Harrell. Undersized 5 who can't really shoot but is tough and does a lot of things to help his team win. Athletic, versatile, high energy 6'8" guys have a shot at the league if they can shoot in the 30%s from deep. With continued improvement maybe he can be something like Daniel Theis. Ultimately I don't think it happens but I'd love for him to get a shot at it.

Reaction Score
The closest comp I currently see is Montrezl Harrell. Undersized 5 who can't really shoot but is tough and does a lot of things to help his team win. Athletic, versatile, high energy 6'8" guys have a shot at the league if they can shoot in the 30%s from deep. With continued improvement maybe he can be something like Daniel Theis. Ultimately I don't think it happens but I'd love for him to get a shot at it.
Whaley is shooting 58% from the field and 50% (small sample) from 3. He's a sneaky good shooter. He also doesn't take many bad shots

Reaction Score
Whaley is shooting 58% from the field and 50% (small sample) from 3. He's a sneaky good shooter. He also doesn't take many bad shots
He's taken 4 3 pointers in his career. I'm very high on Whaley but that's nowhere near enough to call him a good shooter.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He's taken 4 3 pointers in his career. I'm very high on Whaley but that's nowhere near enough to call him a good shooter.
Kevin Garnett didn’t take threes but was absolutely deadly about 5 ft in from the arch. In no way comparing IW to KG but 3s isn’t the end all be all of good shooting

the Q

Reaction Score
Whaley’s midrange jumpers are really good and is 2-4 from 3. He’s actually a fairly good shooter.

And his passing in the last few games has been really impressive.

I do want him to post up and have a couple post moves in his bag, as well as being an effective post passer.

Kevin Garnett didn’t take threes but was absolutely deadly about 5 ft in from the arch. In no way comparing IW to KG but 3s isn’t the end all be all of good shooting
As it’s been stated, way too small of a sample size.

Depending on when the draft is this year, he may actually get a a chance to workout against higher rated players and get a chance.

the later in the year the draft is the better. Because he’s going to need as much of a sample as possible

I kind of look at a Patrick Patterson as the kind of hi post 4 who can switch off. Curius what his wingspan is, and how much stronger he can get. Can he be a small ball 5? Especially as teams continue to go smaller in crunch time. That’s a big ? That will determine a lot.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As it’s been stated, way too small of a sample size.

Depending on when the draft is this year, he may actually get a a chance to workout against higher rated players and get a chance.

the later in the year the draft is the better. Because he’s going to need as much of a sample as possible

I kind of look at a Patrick Patterson as the kind of hi post 4 who can switch off. Curius what his wingspan is, and how much stronger he can get. Can he be a small ball 5? Especially as teams continue to go smaller in crunch time. That’s a big ? That will determine a lot.
He’s got that wiry strength. Like the skinny skateboard kid who could randomly do 20 pull-ups in gym class

the Q

Reaction Score
He’s got that wiry strength. Like the skinny skateboard kid who could randomly do 20 pull-ups in gym class
Yes, but he’ll need to play some 5 unless he drastically improves that jumper for high reps.

another potential role is udonis Haslem, the early years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Garnett played in the 90s-early teens, when the midrange jumper was valued on offense. Whaley has to be consistent from 23+ feet, be able to penetrate effectively, or both.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Do you pay?
I’m a gambler, so absolutely. We can settle up on Venmo/PayPal. DM me if you’re interested and we can settle on terms/amount. Doesn’t have to be large. I’d actually prefer a smallish bet since I can’t be certain you’ll pay. I have a rule - I don’t gamble with non-gamblers - they usually either don’t pay, or get all salty about it. Let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mid range jump shots are considered awful shots in today's NBA

C

Chief00

I love everyone’s enthusiasm on this Whaley thread and the top 10 ranking thread the other day. I just think our wonderful fans are getting a little ahead of themselves. I know Chief is usually the ultimate optimist but we need to play some more good teams to see where we stand. Sure, reach for and dream for the stars, but please let’s not have a meltdown, if we have some bumps in the road.

Reaction Score
Should've been more specific. I don't think Whaley (as much as I love him here) is an NBA product. I'd bet on that.

Sort of like taking the field at Tournament time. What are the odds? That's obviously not a straight up bet. A guy like Whaley is a long shot that's going to have to grind it out for years to make that happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom