Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time to start thinking about Whaley playing at the next level

Reaction Score
I love what Whaley brings to the team, but realistically he looks like an overseas pro to me. I hope I'm wrong and that he makes the NBA, but that's a tall order.

he is going to be paid to play for a long time. Would love to see him to continue to knock down threes and get a sniff in the summer.

Reaction Score
NBA or overseas, he's setting himself to have done more financially and lived a better life than 99% of college grads by the time he is 30.
Yes, professional BB players get paid a lot more than many "professionals." Biggest problem is not being tempted to spend it all at once , or to listen to investment managers or agents who care about their commissions and personal agenda.

This in not about IW personally, but in general, many pro BBallers upon ending their careers, are not necessarily in a good financial position.

Tough for a younger guy not to be tempted by the lure of money he never had before and to buy things he doesn't need. The mansion costs bucks to maintain and he only has a fixed number of years of high earnings.

So unless a pro player wisely invests or saves some, he could burn through his earnings.

Would like to see him as an NBA role player or a rotational player if he improves dramatically.

Reaction Score
There are some things we have NEVER seen him do until now which leads me to believe the ceiling is higher than originally thought. He will determine his own destiny. IMO it’s too early to tell but with Hurley allowing his players to play with flexibility it opens up more future possibilities for the young man. I hope he continues to show off in game...

These the type of plays I’m hoping to see from Akok/Samson next season

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
if he is going to be a 4 in the league, he has to take and make threes at a high clip. if he's going to be a five, at his height, he probably needs to gain another 10 pounds of muscle.

not saying either is impossible. it's pretty incredible where good defense, high motor, BBQ, and athleticism can get guys in 2021.
Kind of a weird comparison, but compare him to Daniel Theis. Theis is 6'8" 245. Whaley 6'9" 230. Whaley has a motor on him, similar to Theis. Theis plays a lot bigger, not sure what the difference in wingspan is. Could be put on 10lb, get a consistent 15' j and rebound and hustle like a demon? Maybe. He has some work to do but it's not impossible. Big men are just in a really weird place in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Kind of a weird comparison, but compare him to Daniel Theis. Theis is 6'8" 245. Whaley 6'9" 230. Whaley has a motor on him, similar to Theis. Theis plays a lot bigger, not sure what the difference in wingspan is. Could be put on 10lb, get a consistent 15' j and rebound and hustle like a demon? Maybe. He has some work to do but it's not impossible. Big men are just in a really weird place in the NBA.
i was actually thinking about theis as well. whaley has more athleticism (theis has a better shot) but both are good, undersized bigs. the relative bulk of other nba players makes guys like theis look slight in comparison, but the reality is that basically every center in the nba is 240 lbs or above.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, professional BB players get paid a lot more than many "professionals." Biggest problem is not being tempted to spend it all at once , or to listen to investment managers or agents who care about their commissions and personal agenda.

This in not about IW personally, but in general, many pro BBallers upon ending their careers, are not necessarily in a good financial position.

Tough for a younger guy not to be tempted by the lure of money he never had before and to buy things he doesn't need. The mansion costs bucks to maintain and he only has a fixed number of years of high earnings.

So unless a pro player wisely invests or saves some, he could burn through his earnings.

Would like to see him as an NBA role player or a rotational player if he improves dramatically.

That's on them. I don't spend a lot of energy worrying if those who come across money early in their careers invest and spend wisely.

He will earn millions before he is age 30. Hope he does well with it and gets to appreciate what he experiences. If he goes the Jeff Spicoli route, so be it.

Reaction Score
Seeing the world through BY glasses...

Last game Martin, now both Whaley and Polley.
Looking for Josh to have a career game against Butler and become the next BY certified NBA lottery pick.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He plays good defense, passes well and his shot is improving. He has a chance to get time in the NBA for sure. He isn't a star, but a solid player who has improved greatly the past two years. He is what teams look for with his high energy and solid defense.
He may be a star overseas, but I can see him being a 10th-12th man in the right situation in the nBA

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The only thing limiting his NBA prospects would be his age to me. The jump Whaley has made is just incredible. I don't think I've ever seen someone defend the pick and roll on any level better than he does.

Right now I don't know what weakness he has in his game to be honest. It's truly amazing to see.

Reaction Score
Whalley is our Most Valuable Player and Bouk our Most Outstanding Player.

Proven yesterday we can win (at least 2 games) without Bouk but I'm not sure we can win 2 games in a row without Whalley.

Also, Whalley appears better than Hilton at this stage. Not saying he's NBA material, but if Hilton got a shot then Whalley deserves one.

One more year of Div 1 (if he comes back) along with BE competition, who knows? He to me is G League basement, NBA ceiling, repeatedly being called up.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The only thing limiting his NBA prospects would be his age to me. The jump Whaley has made is just incredible. I don't think I've ever seen someone defend the pick and roll on any level better than he does.

Right now I don't know what weakness he has in his game to be honest. It's truly amazing to see.
Also size

but at least now that we’re not in conference purgatory he gets to show his ability against guys who are NBA prospects, and hopefully a few scouts notice how good he is

Reaction Score
Love this guy, spit out my beer when he hit that 3 and giggled like a little kid
Would love to see him cash nba checks but looking forward to watching what he does here next

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
if he is going to be a 4 in the league, he has to take and make threes at a high clip. if he's going to be a five, at his height, he probably needs to gain another 10 pounds of muscle.

not saying either is impossible. it's pretty incredible where good defense, high motor, BBQ, and athleticism can get guys in 2021.
Barbeque is a totally underrated attribute in The Association. ;)

Reaction Score
Scottie Pippen.

Player Profile:

Position:Small Forward / Guard
Jersey Number:33 (Bulls, Rockets, Trail Blazers) - view jerseys...
Height:6-8 / 2.03 mts
Weight:228 lbs / 103.4 kg

Reaction Score
“Whaley, a 6-foot-8 freshman from Gastonia, North Carolina, who came to the Huskies from Mount Zion Prep in Baltimore, has drawn some comparisons to a young Dennis Rodman for his energy and his rebounding ability. Whaley admits he’s even watched some old footage of Rodman’s playing days after receiving the compliment.” Bristol Press

Reaction Score
I do not mind Whaley taking 2 or 3 threes a game. In fact, I like it because it keeps the defense spread out and let’s face it; he has made his fair percentage. He’s a good defender, good rebounder, great hedger (as many have said already) and moves off the ball fairly well. But realistically he lacks speed, height, ball handling, and mostly scoring, for the NBA - seems harsh but he’s not far from any, except maybe ball handling. For NBA he has to have scoring every night in college. He needs a drop dead, post up turn around jumper, which he doesn’t. He also needs better foot work and needs take more shots but has shown he can make. He stands out against 4’s his size or smaller, and zone defenses when he’s hitting his shots and getting the junk from the boards - offensively and defensively. So much heart.
His motor is off the charts. Dude plays like the apocalypse is tomorrow and fans love that, on this level. He’s a joy to watch but it probably won’t lead to a NBA contract. Albeit, there are far worse in the league right now and I’d be first in line to buy a Whaley shirt. Hope he can get there. It would take a few huge games from him this year where he helps push a deep tourney run and becomes somewhat of a household name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom