Time to shrink athletic department. | The Boneyard

Time to shrink athletic department.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We currently have 10 male sports and 12 female sports. The AD will be subsidized up to 50% soon by student subsidies, which isn't right. In order to reduce costs, I suggest we get rid of some sports to lighten the load.
I suggest we can men's and women's tennis and men's golf. Both are country club sports that really should stay there.
Men's golf isn't particularly good, and the tennis programs are terrible.
Men's tennis record since 2008: 55-93
08/09: 12-7
09/10: 8-8
10/11: 11-9
11/12: 6-10
12/13: 4-11
13/14: 7-12
14/15: 1-18
15/16: 6-18
Women's tennis record since 2008: 75-91
08/09: 8-12
09/10: 8-13
10/11: 8-14
11/12: 10-11
12/13: 8-11
13/14: 8-11
14/15: 15-9
15/16: 10-10

Reaction Score
Based on record over past few years and being a male only sport (which over half of student body not allowed to play), suggest include football in this exercise. This would take quite a chunk out of fees. Better yet, cut all the sports. College is for learning, why give some students a free ride 'cause they can do something unrelated to academics?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Just got an email from the athletic department that Bob Goldberg, who coaches both Swim Teams at UCONN, is retiring after 29 years. Totally unexpected/unannounced. Won't be surprised if Men's team goes bye-bye. Non-revenue sport and limited # of scholarships. But since they share the coaches with the women (head, diving and assistant), it's pretty low cost to the school. Unfortunately, those factors also prevent the men from competing at the highest level (they were 4th in a 4-team AAC last year). Havent had an NCAA qualifier (swimming) in 50 years. Better than golf or tennis, but not by much. As much as it hurts, if this is a means to a lacrosse team, so be it. There is no reason UCONN can't be a lacrosse powerhouse. The state is consistently heavily recruited at the highest level (Ivy and ACC).

Benedict come from Auburn, who's mens and womens teams are usually top 10 in the country. Because of Title 9, I doubt the women's swim team would be dropped. They have about 50% funding, and are middle of the pack in the AAC. But who knows? Just food for thought. Interesting move. Something is brewing in Storrs . . .

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Just got an email from the athletic department that Bob Goldberg, who coaches both Swim Teams at UCONN, is retiring after 29 years. Totally unexpected/unannounced. Won't be surprised if Men's team goes bye-bye. Non-revenue sport and limited # of scholarships. But since they share the coaches with the women (head, diving and assistant), it's pretty low cost to the school. Unfortunately, those factors also prevent the men from competing at the highest level (they were 4th in a 4-team AAC last year). Havent had an NCAA qualifier (swimming) in 50 years. Better than golf or tennis, but not by much. As much as it hurts, if this is a means to a lacrosse team, so be it. There is no reason UCONN can't be a lacrosse powerhouse. The state is consistently heavily recruited at the highest level (Ivy and ACC).

Benedict come from Auburn, who's mens and womens teams are usually top 10 in the country. Because of Title 9, I doubt the women's swim team would be dropped. They have about 50% funding, and are middle of the pack in the AAC. But who knows? Just food for thought. Interesting move. Something is brewing in Storrs . . .
Great post, especially your point about men's lacrosse. There is crazy talent in this state and it's growing as a youth sport. Currently, all the best players have to go elsewhere because we don't have a team. I'm not a fan of the sport at all, but I agree that UCONN could be great.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just got an email from the athletic department that Bob Goldberg, who coaches both Swim Teams at UCONN, is retiring after 29 years. Totally unexpected/unannounced.. . .

He announced before the season that this year would be his last. He's been coaching for 50 years and has a half-dozen grandkids....

Whatever is the polar opposite of 'totally unexpected', that's what this is.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Good call Fishy. I follow the team on the UCONN site and social media, and never saw that news. Neither did any other ex-swimmers (Pete McDevitt era, he got shown the door with Perno). Not doubting your information. The email came as a surprise. And I still won't be surprised if the mens team goes out with Goldberg. Rutgers dropped mens swimming +/-10 years ago. Didn't hurt them in conference realignment, I'd understand. A sacrifice in part for the good of the whole. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
He announced before the season that this year would be his last. He's been coaching for 50 years and has a half-dozen grandkids....

Whatever is the polar opposite of 'totally unexpected', that's what this is.

Good call Fishy. I follow the team on the UCONN site and social media, and never saw that news. Neither did any other ex-swimmers (Pete McDevitt era, he got shown the door with Perno). Not doubting your information. The email came as a surprise. And I still won't be surprised if the mens team goes out with Goldberg. Rutgers dropped mens swimming +/-10 years ago. Didn't hurt them in conference realignment, I'd understand. A sacrifice in part for the good of the whole. Go Huskies.

Here's the story that was posted on the UConn website from last October about Bob Goldberg's pending retirement.

Swimming Coach Bob Goldberg To Retire At End Of Season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom