Time for the final starting 5 poll before Geno tells us who it will be... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Time for the final starting 5 poll before Geno tells us who it will be...

Choose your starting 5. You can vote for up to 5.

• Evina

• Olivia

• Christyn

• Dorka

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Of the 8 players on the list (excluding freshmen Azzi and Caroline) I think it is conceivable that not one of them will play more minutes per game than last year.

Absolutely true.
More players to play, more games over earlier, and less of a dropoff between starters & bench allowing easier substitution.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would have liked to see more participation in this poll from our fan base. At least one thousand fans. It was interesting reading others reasons for their votes. Nika and Aaliyah are only 20 votes apart (as of 7:00 pm er on 10/27).

Reaction Score
I’m sticking with the 4 guard line up ( due to match up problems) so I went with Paige, Azzi, Williams, E, and Liv. Nika, Edwards, Griffin, and Anna all started at one time last season, so who’s really the 5th returning starter?

Reaction Score
So, as long as the game is competitive any of 13 players can carry the team? Really? Say we are tied with SC with 1:30 to go, and you are comfortable with Piath, Amari, Caroline, Aubrey and Mir on the court? Geno, are you listening to this?

I also guess Saylor can go back to the dorm for the season and watch her team on TV?
Why is everyone so down on Sailor

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good question. She played hurt briefly last season and her 3 wouldn't drop. Everybody on this team other than Paige has had such streaks. She's been tweaked in one way or another for much of the off season. She's a player of promise. No one who calls themself a fan should be down on Saylor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Aubrey who has been overlooked by many here but shouldn't be. She is the best floor player on the team and a junior.

what does this mean?
I think I know...

1635443944183.png

Reaction Score
Ask Joe, the person I quoted who listed everyone on the team except Saylor.

And it's Saylor, not Sailor.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is down on her, more so they’re just not up on her and have higher expectations for some other players. But as other have said she’s been hurt, we haven’t seen much and Geno hasn’t said much; all contributing factors.

Reaction Score
Saylor was literally playing with a broken back last Spring. She needs to be 100%. I wouldnt expect much from her until after January, and then, probably just garbage minutes. If her back is still an issue, maybe she should red-shirt this season.

Reaction Score
Ask Joe, the person I quoted who listed everyone on the team except Saylor.

And it's Saylor, not Sailor.
Sorry, in a previous reply which I missed, Joe apologized for omitting Saylor, but said he would put her with the forwards.

Reaction Score
I think I know...

View attachment 70564
Very clever actually. However, it is an older term but a floor player in basketball is one who does all the little, non-glamorous things to help the team such as play great defense, get steals, saves, pass, box out, get rebounds and put backs but not necessarily be a superior offensive player in their own right. I watched Aubrey's father play at Seton Hall before playing in the NBA and I assure you that at the same times in their respective college careers they were very similar players. Adrian was never a great scorer but you wanted him on the floor because he did the necessary things for the team. Maybe because of that I have a special belief in her and maybe it will be just that but I also believe that she is being overlooked by many and that she is valuable right now and with a 10-15 foot pull up and a stronger drive move from both sides she will add something athletic on offense that we don't have. I also think a lot of it with her is between the ears and that at some point the light is going to go on and it will be great.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is going to be brutal for most of our opponents. Suppose you are a player or coach for Whatever State. Score at the end of q1 is, say, 31-5, but you are saying to yourself, "well, at least Geno will have some mercy and pull his starters." So he does. And suddenly you are looking at, say, Aubrey, Dorka, Azzi, Alaiyah and Caroline. AAArrghh!! Get out the white flag!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It is going to be brutal for most of our opponents. Suppose you are a player or coach for Whatever State. Score at the end of q1 is, say, 31-5, but you are saying to yourself, "well, at least Geno will have some mercy and pull his starters." So he does. And suddenly you are looking at, say, Aubrey, Dorka, Azzi, Alaiyah and Caroline. AAArrghh!! Get out the white flag!
Aaliyah. AAArrghh!! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let me remind everyone what Geno said at the start of practice............"I won't decide who starts, the players will". :eek: Some of make excellent arguments and points why a certain player should start. It's possible that a non starter from last year gives Geno no choice but to start her. If a player stands out like a 150 watt bulb in a sea of 25 watt bulbs, what's he going to do? :confused:

"To start the season Azzi will come off the bench and Evina will start. With that said Azzi will get alot of minutes. CW and Paige are 100% starting. A little birdie told me. Tony's sources have proven to be very reliable. So that's 3 of the 5. Now all we have to do is figure out the other two.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Except for the elite teams, I don't see many other programs being able to keep up after/beyond halftime. Bad and rushed shots are usually the result of being behind by a large margin, and trying desperately to catch up. I don't expect there to be a significant drop off in players 6-9 off the bench. The first 5 games should give an indication of what we can expect at least to the holiday break. Of course things can change once conference play starts.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Are the two who voted that Paige would not be part of the starting five part of a conspiracy theory, or just UConn haters?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let me remind everyone what Geno said at the start of practice............"I won't decide who starts, the players will". :eek: Some of make excellent arguments and points why a certain player should start. It's possible that a non starter from last year gives Geno no choice but to start her. If a player stands out like a 150 watt bulb in a sea of 25 watt bulbs, what's he going to do? :confused:

Tonyc said in an earlier post: "To start the season Azzi will come off the bench and Evina will start. With that said Azzi will get alot of minutes. CW and Paige are 100% starting. A little birdie told me. Tony's sources have proven to be very reliable. So that's 3 of the 5. Now all we have to do is figure out the other two.

Reaction Score
Are the two who voted that Paige would not be part of the starting five part of a conspiracy theory, or just UConn haters?
if we're being honest Paige and Christyn should be 100% I would love to know why the 17 ppl that didn't vote her a starter could give a legitimate reason?

Reaction Score
With this much talent...and a need to get youngsters acclimated at the college level....the starters would vary for me depending on the opponent and the style of play on offense. The teams that figure out multiple ways to beat someone will hoist the trophy. IMO...Westbrook and/or Paige always have to be on the floor. The other 3 would be dependent on the opponent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom