Time for Connecticut to pull its tax credits to ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time for Connecticut to pull its tax credits to ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I mean, if you want scapegoats, then go after U. Hartford first. The president there deserves some comeuppance. He could have easily stood on principle by resigning his seat at the NCAA and speaking out about that railroad track they sent Uconn down.

He could have, instead that was stoking the fire.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know this is pointless, but could you imagine if, say, ESPN was in Texas and they just somehow engineered a situation where someone like Texas Tech was left utterly stranded?

The governor of Texas would be at ESPN headquarters with a gun stuck in some ESPN honcho's mouth. He'd be explaining the fine points of tax credits and partnerships between corporations and government and also the tragedy of accidental shootings in the workplace.

Reaction Score
I know this is pointless, but could you imagine if, say, ESPN was in Texas and they just somehow engineered a situation where someone like Texas Tech was left utterly stranded?

The governor of Texas would be at ESPN headquarters with a gun stuck in some ESPN honcho's mouth. He'd be explaining the fine points of tax credits and partnerships between corporations and government and also the tragedy of accidental shootings in the workplace.

I don't think it's pointless.

People in Conn. care about UConn.

Reaction Score
Totally irrational but ESPN pisses me off I investigated selling my Disney timeshare today.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jerry McGuire@guise50
@jacobscourant FWIW, Okie msg board has purported TV industry email claiming Malloy has gone to ESPN to ask for help http://Post original url/SjyeOl
Retweeted by Jeff Jacobs
Interesting that Jacobs would RT that... Here's the relevant paragraph from the landthieves post:

Speaking of the ACC, do not be surprised to see UConn as the next addition to the conference even if they do not lose anyone else. The governor of Conn has called in a favor. There has been speculation that ESPN received a large tax break from the state and is now being told it is time to return the favor. Just like Rockefeller did with WVU and McConnell did with UL. ESPN now sees the ACC as an eventual avenue to Notre Dame. Losing control of the ACC could potentially mean losing Notre Dame to the B1G. Just like every conference, ESPN feels Notre Dame is a big prize.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

actually the rest of the post has some juicy stuff for the CR conspiracy kitty types.

Reaction Score
Step 1. Mhver3 reads that stuff in places like this.

Step 2. He packages it and reposts it.

Step 3. Unsavvy redneck fans from Oklahoma are stupid enough to believe it is credible.

Step 4. People here suspend disbelief because the 'rumor" gets passed around.

Step 5. We add to the agony.

Reaction Score
Never in corporate history has a recipient of such generous taxpayer largesse worked so hard to damage the state providing it.

I thought ESPN was trying to destroy the Big East? I didn't realize that their goal along was really just UConn. Thanks for the update.

ESPN has hundreds of Connecticut-based employees, some of them surely UConn grads. It's impressive that they've managed this master plan of destruction without a single hard document leaking out. The CIA and NSA need to hire these guys.

Reaction Score
Yes, that post on the Oklahoma board was linked back to the Mhver3 post on the WVU board.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Damnit!

I suck. Sorry.

(Though I probably was swayed by it getting retweeted by a "mainstream media" person.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought ESPN was trying to destroy the Big East? I didn't realize that their goal along was really just UConn. Thanks for the update.

ESPN has hundreds of Connecticut-based employees, some of them surely UConn grads. It's impressive that they've managed this master plan of destruction without a single hard document leaking out. The CIA and NSA need to hire these guys.

It doesn't matter if it was planned, an accident, or just a coincidence. The state of Connecticut has given ESPN more than $100MM of our tax dollars and the end result is a train wreck for UConn. I am sure there are plenty of companies that would love $100MM of state tax credits and low interest loans. ESPN has to make this right, one way, or the other.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's pointless.

People in Conn. care about UConn.
no, it's not pointless but our state leaders don't have the cajones to do what Fishy suggested. Now, if the mob was still in power in CT....

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if it was planned, an accident, or just a coincidence. The state of Connecticut has given ESPN more than $100MM of our tax dollars and the end result is a train wreck for UConn. I am sure there are plenty of companies that would love $100MM of state tax credits and low interest loans. ESPN has to make this right, one way, or the other.

Ah, you've changed your argument I see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What would it take to rescind those tax breaks?

Connecticut has done it before, as I believe other states have too. Connecticut just has to refuse to honor them. It isn't that hard for a government to do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ah, you've changed your argument I see.

I am not changing my argument. Having spent some time in an audit role, I am not a believer in coincidences. Two data points of bad behavior is a trend line, because there are another dozen that you don't see. In audit, you don't need to explain the entire fraud to know there is fraud.

Maybe it was just bad luck that things turned out this way. I put that at about 1.0% chance.

Reaction Score
I am not changing my argument. Having spent some time in an audit role, I am not a believer in coincidences. Two data points of bad behavior is a trend line, because there are another dozen that you don't see.

Well I hope to God you are not judge in any official capacity.
You know what? JFK was shot in Dallas, and I've *been* to Dallas. 2 data points, right?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well I hope to God you are not judge in any official capacity.
You know what? JFK was shot in Dallas, and I've *been* to Dallas. 2 data points, right?

And I hope you are never in a position to manage other people's money, because people will rob you blind. If you don't know who the sucker at a poker table is, then it's probably you.

Here is a quote from the Godfather that is appropriate:

"But I'm a superstitious man. And if some unlucky accident should befall him - If he should get shot in the head by a police officer, or if he should hang himself in his jail cell - or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room, and that I do not forgive."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And I hope you are never in a position to manage other people's money, because people will rob you blind. If you don't know who the sucker at a poker table is, then it's probably you.

Here is a quote from the Godfather that is appropriate:

"But I'm a superstitious man. And if some unlucky accident should befall him - If he should get shot in the head by a police officer, or if he should hang himself in his jail cell - or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room, and that I do not forgive."
I liked this, not because it makes sense but because I am a sucker for Godfather quotes. What can I say, I'm easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom