Time for Connecticut to pull its tax credits to ESPN | The Boneyard

Time for Connecticut to pull its tax credits to ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Never in corporate history has a recipient of such generous taxpayer largesse worked so hard to damage the state providing it. There are plenty of companies that would love tens of millions of dollars in state subsidies. Time to find one of them and give them the state money that had been targeted for ESPN.

Taxpayers can not reward a corporation for this kind of behavior. The damage ESPN has done to the state university will cost the state hundreds of millions over the next decades and potentially damage the university irrevocably.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Except that they aren't contingent on UConn's league affiliation...but ESPN should get nothing, not an farthing from the State in the future. As I posted elsewhere, they should never get a zoning variance and we should set up police at their front door to enforce the traffic laws to the letter. Man, I hate those F-ers.

Reaction Score
I believe that ESPN still has to take the governor's calls.
And at this late point, this is one of the only lifelines out there for UConn.

In fact, UConn should be on the phone with ESPN/SNY right now asking how much its media rights are worth on a solo basis.

Reaction Score
Then in time they'll leave. That may be an ok result as I'm not sold on the net benefit of tax benefits to companies as a bribe to move to/stay in a state. ESPN, or more accurately their parent company will find another state to take their business.

I believe ESPN overplayed their hand. I think they thought they could get UConn in to the ACC if they needed to. They didn't foresee that their lack power over the B1G would limit their ability to force everything down the ACCs throat.

I think UConn needs to calmly come up with a plan that'll give the best chance to survive and hope for an opening in the future. Cutting off ESPN may or may not be a good addition to that plan.

CL82

Reaction Score
In fact, UConn should be on the phone with ESPN/SNY right now asking how much its media rights are worth on a solo basis.
Yep, and as Conspiracy Kitty posted elsewhere, with NBC as well. UConn has valuable product. The question is what exactly is that value as a stand alone? Is NBC willing to pony up say $18 million for it? I believe that to be the smart thing for them to do in the near term as it furthers conference instability and increases the likelihood that they can pull together a line up one school at a time. In times of change, it is people who define the new paradigm who succeed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Then in time they'll leave. That may be an ok result as I'm not sold on the net benefit of tax benefits to companies as a bribe to move to/stay in a state. ESPN, or more accurately their parent company will find another state to take their business.

I believe ESPN overplayed their hand. I think they thought they could get UConn in to the ACC if they needed to. They didn't foresee that their lack power over the B1G would limit their ability to force everything down the ACCs throat.

I think UConn needs to calmly come up with a plan that'll give the best chance to survive and hope for an opening in the future. Cutting off ESPN may or may not be a good addition to that plan.

UConn athletics is dead, which makes ESPN worthless to the University at this point. The tax credits and state loans are better spent on companies that will bring jobs to the state and research dollars to the university. The ONLY reason to provide this kind of government subsidy to an old media company like ESPN was to maintain good relations with UConn and ESPN. It didn't work out. The state would be smarter to spend its money on a corporation that wasn't actively trying to damage the taxpayer funded university.

CL82

Reaction Score

If the cost to leave is greater than the cost to appease UConn, then they won't. It's not personal. It's just business.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Yep, and as Conspiracy Kitty posted elsewhere, with NBC as well. UConn has valuable product. The question is what exactly is that value as a stand alone? Is NBC willing to pony up say $18 million for it? I believe that to be the smart thing for them to do in the near term. As it furthers conference instability and increases the likelihood that they can pull together a line up one school at a time. In times of change, it is people who define the new paradigm who succeed.

NBC can't target UConn on national cable networks.

ESPN could stick 4 or 5 football games on ESPN2 and 12 basketball games there too, while sending the rest to SNY.

Reaction Score
The state's relationship with ESPN is not going to be damaged by what happens to UConn.

I mean, if you want scapegoats, then go after U. Hartford first. The president there deserves some comeuppance. He could have easily stood on principle by resigning his seat at the NCAA and speaking out about that railroad track they sent Uconn down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
NBC can't target UConn on national cable networks.

ESPN could stick 4 or 5 football games on ESPN2 and 12 basketball games there too, while sending the rest to SNY.

After everything ESPN has done to destroy UConn athletics, why on earth do you think would ESPN do that? If ESPN wanted UConn athletics to survive, we would be in another league already. ESPN has made their position on UConn athletics abundantly clear.

Reaction Score
After everything ESPN has done to destroy UConn athletics, why on earth do you think would ESPN do that? If ESPN wanted UConn athletics to survive, we would be in another league already. ESPN has made their position on UConn athletics abundantly clear.

To make money showing UConn bball and filling slots with UConn football.

Like it does now.

CL82

Reaction Score
Broadcasting UConn, beats dead air and it may open the door to other individual contracts. Paying lowly (from a football perspective) UConn more than the ACC per school rate destabilizes an ESPN asset. Make no mistake about it we are a collateral victim in a war between the ESPN and NBC. NBCs cable sports hopes are as screwed-over as our own conference dreams. Their only hope is to destiblize the status quo ante, which favors ESPN. How is FSU going to feel about unaffiliated UConn drawing more tv revenue than it does. Not good. If nothing else it makes the ACC more expensive to ESPN. Best case scenario, for NBC is creates a paradigm shift in which schools consider independent status as a viable option. When the only shot you have is a long shot, you either take it or fold the tent and go home. $18 million per school in a big conference is a lot of money. $18 million as a stand alone deal, less so.

We agree that UConn should be exploring what tv revenue it can make on its own.

Reaction Score
What evidence is there that ESPN purposely is trying to destroy UConn? Are people assuming that ESPN "must" have the power to get UConn into the ACC or Big 10 or whatever and that it "must not" have used that power because we have not found a landing spot yet? What evidence is there that they have this power? Seriously.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
What evidence is there that ESPN purposely is trying to destroy UConn? Are people assuming that ESPN "must" have the power to get UConn into the ACC or Big 10 or whatever and that it "must not" have used that power because we have not found a landing spot yet? What evidence is there that they have this power? Seriously.

Seriously... you don't think ESPN if they really wanted to could entice the ACC to add UConn? I think the reason they wont do it is because they think when conference alignment finally really stops UConn will have a place simply because there just isn't anyone else out there on the east coast or in the mid west with a serious enough athletic department to consider. Why pony up extra cash now when the game isn't done being played?

Reaction Score
There is a lot of smoke that ESPN has vowed to destroy the Big East for turning down their 11 millon dollar a year per school offer. They have directed the ACC's continual poaching of Big East teams.

I eagerly await their 30 for 30, on how this all went down.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Anyway... pull their tax credit. They aren't going anywhere... to much infrastructure has been built and to many people have relocated to CT. The proximity to NYC, Boston, and Philly work in their favor. It's not like they need rely on unskilled labor. Not everything makes financial sense to relocate to east bumfack Mississippi.

Reaction Score
I agree it is possible that ESPN has the power to decide UConn's future and that there is a lot of "smoke" suggesting it does. I am just wondering if there is any hard evidence or any articles from reputable journalists showing that ESPN has such power. I haven't seen it. If it exists, I would like to know about it.

Reaction Score
I agree it is possible that ESPN has the power to decide UConn's future and that there is a lot of "smoke" suggesting it does. I am just wondering if there is any hard evidence or any articles from reputable journalists showing that ESPN has such power. I haven't seen it. If it exists, I would like to know about it.

how about quotes from former ADs from the ACC?

Reaction Score
MHver3 2:04pm via Web
link to my game changer. Enjoy, discuss. mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&…

"Swofford and certain officials at other ACC member schools have continued with (having never broken off) the talks with Cincy and Uconn. What upsets them the most is that this is after they signed their pledge of allegiance, after they silenced the majority of the talks that were happening with other conferences. After they promised the ACC they would wait and see what the money was going to look like after ND renegotiations(espn contract) before even listening to offers from other conferences.

What is Espn's motivation in this? How about this excerpt from an older Yahoo finance article to start you off:

ESPN, which last year announced plans to build a second digital center in Bristol, received at 10-year, $17.5 million loan, up to $1.2 million in job-training grants, and up to $6 million in tax exemptions on capital equipment and construction materials for that expansion.

….and that is just the tip of the iceberg that stands at well over $100 million in tax breaks and state funding Espn has milked out of the state of Connecticut. Now the state is calling in their own favor.
Espn is finding them a viable home and Uconn will refrain from a lawsuit and allow the Catholic schools their freedom and help them retain the BigEast name, NCAA credits, and Madison Square Gardens contract."

Cute-bright-eyed-monkey-getting-down-to-some-wicked-tunes.gif

Reaction Score
As I've been saying since RU/Maryland went down, Swofford and Tobacco Road can't stand FSU and its minions. I really think they don't give a frig about losing FSU. ESPN does, I can certainly see that.

I'm not saying anything here about ESPN is true, but I can see UNC and the like doing whatever the hell they want in the future and telling FSU to stuff it. Will FSU have the backing it does now?

Most schools in the conference are afraid of FSU leaving. That works both ways. It gives FSU a lot of leverage, but it also puts fear into other schools that they'll eventually be left in the ACC with a malevolent UNC that's cross with them.

In supporting FSU over UNC this time around, the majority of the conference figured that UNC was not so staunchly a backer of UConn that it couldn't overlook the snub, and that makes perfect sense. UNC is not going to the mat for UConn. But nor can UNC abide by FSU taking over the leadership mantle. If ESPN turned the screws a little bit, I can definitely see a couple schools taking the opportunity to press matters.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Hopefully UConn can play ACC and B1G against each other. UConn has a good presence in NY as evidenced by SNY. ACC needs a NYC presence, ACC needs UConn to help with the Boston/NE market. If the ACC believes the B1G has any interest in UConn they have to know that they'll be partnered with an ACC team (Cuse, BC or UVa). This might force Swofford to make a premptive bid for UConn. Delany may look at UConn's rising profile, see that UConn can bracket in NYC market as well as SoNE, see that the ACC isa interested and he makes the move for UConn first.

Would Delany be so market driven that he completely ignores BC horrendous share and still scoops up BC? Would he take UConn too or look more southerly? Or, does he bet on UConn being both academically and athletically fit as well market strong enough to take now and help develop over the next few years?

We can look at UConn as being out on an island or can we position UConn to look like a lynchpin for the Northeast. It's time to roll out the PR blitz. Herbst has to make UConn look like the lynchpin. We CAN be the lynchpin. We're UConn. We succeed at everything. Make two guys believe that and we may be able to write our own ticket.

Reaction Score
MHver3 2:04pm via Web
link to my game changer. Enjoy, discuss. mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&…

"Swofford and certain officials at other ACC member schools have continued with (having never broken off) the talks with Cincy and Uconn. What upsets them the most is that this is after they signed their pledge of allegiance, after they silenced the majority of the talks that were happening with other conferences. After they promised the ACC they would wait and see what the money was going to look like after ND renegotiations(espn contract) before even listening to offers from other conferences.

Regarding the ACC still talking to UConn and Cincy, someone posted this:

ZZTOP43 wrote: TT did not jump to that lily pad Cincy w/o a rock underneath it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom