Tim Duncan Retires | The Boneyard

Tim Duncan Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glad he is retiring now in such stark contrast to Kobe's look at me retirement and he's been running on fumes last 2 years. But bummer that this great career is over and his soft-spoken just play presence will be sorely missed.

Can he re-start his swimming career in time for Rio?

Reaction Score
Selfishly I was hoping Duncan was gonna come back for one more year and have a retirement tour but absolutely have great respect for him on going out in style. Greatest PF ever and best of his generation, every single year his teams had a shot at winning a title you can't say that about anyone else including MJ, Bird, Kobe, Lebron etc.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm almost 30 and I can't remember the league before this dude. There was speculation he was bowing out during the year

Reaction Score
So its just Pierce and KG left from the 90s, well Ray if he does come back.

Reaction Score
Great career somewhat swept into the background although I doubt he cares, never did. He was all about team and class act. Enjoy retirement and the family Tim, great great player. Well deserved HOF 5 years away.

Reaction Score
Feeling older and older in my mid to late 40s now, but thinking back to when this guy was at Wake Forest, I was in my mid-20s and single. Jeez, feels like an eternity.

Reaction Score
A real professional and humble champion. I wonder if Pop will retire too?

I think he gives it a 5-10 year run, he still has Kawhi Leonard and Aldridge, he will have Manu and Parker at the tail end of their career, and Pau Gasol for a couple of years, SA has become a good FA destination, not everyone can join GS and Cleveland.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kobe says "we're going into the Hall of Fame together"
5f87ac5f348bc744e5942f544c9c2328_crop_north.jpg

Reaction Score
Very few like him. Silent, respected, out of spotlight winners. Jeter perhaps.
After that, not many names of that type in that generation.

Reaction Score
Very few like him. Silent, respected, out of spotlight winners. Jeter perhaps.
After that, not many names of that type in that generation.
Jeter minus the retirement tour. Nothing sums up the differences between Kobe and Duncan more than the way the two of them retired.

That's not meant to be a shot at Kobe either. Duncan is a rare breed for a superstar - to the point where most people acknowledge he's a top 10 player all time, and yet he still might be underrated by casual fans.

Reaction Score
That's not meant to be a shot at Kobe either. Duncan is a rare breed for a superstar - to the point where most people acknowledge he's a top 10 player all time, and yet he still might be underrated by casual fans.

Was just going to state that he may actually be underrated in the big scheme of things. He's one of the greatest winners in the history of the NBA. 15 time all star, 15 time all nba, 15 time all defensive team, 2 mvps, 3 finals mvp, 5 titles... That should easily classify him as one of the top 10 players ever and the greatest PF in the history of the game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Glad he is retiring now in such stark contrast to Kobe's look at me retirement and he's been running on fumes last 2 years. But bummer that this great career is over and his soft-spoken just play presence will be sorely missed.

Even look at the difference between Kobe threads and Duncan. Barely a page for TD, and Kobe stretches on for 3+ in multiple pages.

Tim's only fault, from a marketing perspective, is he's too nice and respectful of a guy.

Reaction Score
Even look at the difference between Kobe threads and Duncan. Barely a page for TD, and Kobe stretches on for 3+ in multiple pages.

Tim's only fault, from a marketing perspective, is he's too nice and respectful of a guy.

That is only a fault if you are trying to have a larger profile and make money off of it. Looks like Duncan was content with his lot in life and preferred his privacy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That is only a fault if you are trying to have a larger profile and make money off of it. Looks like Duncan was content with his lot in life and preferred his privacy.

I agree, it was more of a glib/facetious comment.

Reaction Score

Off the court he seemed nice and respectful.

But on the court, you wouldn't know it (because he wasn't cocky or loud mouth) but he had the fierceness, competitiveness and assassin mentality of Jordan, Magic and all the greats.

Many have tried to take his kindness demeanor for weakness (think KG and Shaq) but Timmy never backed down, 'excessively' complain, disappeared or needed backup. He was a killer in his own way.

As for a signature legacy his backboard shots were automatic and lethal.

Reaction Score

Of course Duncan likes it that way and its not really a fault per se. Sure it means TD makes less money versus Kobe, but when you earn $30MM+ per year its comparing abundant apples to abundant oranges. I'd bet TD has a pretty good amount saved away (divorce notwithstanding) and although his post-career earnings will likely be far less his ego won't demand he spend/promote/desperately try random crap to remain relevant.

I find myself in schadenfreude position of hoping for a Kobe comeback so that he's not in the same HOF class as TD as the juxtaposed value of Duncan's career will be lost in the Kobe noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom