Tim Abromaitis Commits NCAA Violation | The Boneyard

Tim Abromaitis Commits NCAA Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can we retroactively claim misunderstanding rules?

Reaction Score
I think this is a reasonable resolution. The alternative would be to tell the kid that his eligibility is exhausted and he can't play at all this year just because he played in the exhibition games 2 years ago.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can't remember a staff (a) not understanding how a year of eligibility works and (b) the NCAA saying "it's cool, just sit out 4 games".

http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101111aaa.html
ND made an honest mistake. I'm glad the NCAA didn't punish Abromaitis more than they did. He didn't deserve a greater punishment. There are a lot of things going on in college sports than this oversight that can be addressed.

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn can claim similar ignorance with Wolf, saying we didn't realize that playing freshmen from Germany for a couple games in the 2nd semester uses up a year of eligibility. We thought it only applied to non-Germans. ;)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The punishment fits the crime. It's such a minor offense why bother with anything other than token punishment?

Reaction Score
The punishment does not fit the crime because there was no crime. What exactly was Tim supposed to have done differently? "Coach, I don't think I should go in for the last ~8 minutes of these scrimmages that don't count because you might come to me in a week and ask me to redshirt."

Players get 4 years to play. It goes by way too fast. For the NCAA to steal 4 games from him is a sin. What harm did he cause anyone, and how does the punishment fit the NCAA's mission of keeping the "experience of the stuident-athlete paramount"?

Here is the real sin - Jim Calhoun gets a 3 game suspension for "failing to create an atmosphere of compliance" and he can coach until he is 100 (and very likely may). Tim gets about 120-130 chances to suit up, and he loses 4 of them because of a technicality. Way to go NCAA - always looking out for the kids.

Eh, Calhoun got donged for phone calls. Phone calls aren't even illegal anymore. Why defend your guy in such a fashion by bringing up bogus stuff?

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I can't remember a staff (a) not understanding how a year of eligibility works and (b) the NCAA saying "it's cool, just sit out 4 games".

http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101111aaa.html
I agree that the kid shouldn't be punished, but........, certainly "NCAA" and "accomodating" are 2 words that JC probably would not expect to see in the same sentence.

If we were in the same situation, I doubt the outcome would be the same.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Define bogus stuff for me please.

Calhoun has had a series of players steal laptops, get kicked out of school, failing to achieve some pretty low academic requirements, and has overseen a series of recruiting violations that were followed by cover-ups. Phone calls are not what he got punished for at all. Having an agent deliver a player to you and then having your Assistant Coaches cover it up is a little bit worse than playing in garbage time in scrimmages.

The point that I was making was the Tim committed no crime and even if you want to defend Jim Calhoun, he is the CEO, and crimes were committed under his watch. Compare the two and it is impossible to decide that Tim should lose about 3% of his playing career and Jim Calhoun should lose 0.2% of his coaching career.

Your move.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ GETS HIS NEWS FROM TMZ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You would get more traction if you didn't lace your argument with that much BS. I agree that Tim Abro did nothing wrong, in this case.

ND had a player steal a credit card number, use it, get kicked out of school, and transfer to a crappy B12 school. Now, he works at ESPN. What's your point? :)

Reaction Score

Calhoun has had a series of players steal laptops, get kicked out of school, failing to achieve some pretty low academic requirements, and has overseen a series of recruiting violations that were followed by cover-ups. Phone calls are not what he got punished for at all. Having an agent deliver a player to you and then having your Assistant Coaches cover it up is a little bit worse than playing in garbage time in scrimmages.

The point that I was making was the Tim committed no crime and even if you want to defend Jim Calhoun, he is the CEO, and crimes were committed under his watch. Compare the two and it is impossible to decide that Tim should lose about 3% of his playing career and Jim Calhoun should lose 0.2% of his coaching career.

Your move.

Your info is totally wrong. Yeah, players stole laptops. And what did Calhoun do wrong? Nothing. You're mad because UConn kicked players out for misbehavior? Uh. Your list of wrongdoing is only about envy.
Phone calls ARE what he got punished for. Read the NCAA's judgement. UConn was dinged for MINOR rule violations. It's funny that you write that an agent delivered a player to UConn when that agent was introduced to the player by a member of the coaching staff AFTER the player had committed to UConn. The extent of the support that agent offered was dinners and a car ride. No one covered it up either. After the initial allegations that Asst. Coach Pat Sellers lied to the NCAA, he was exonerated in the subsequent investigation when he proved he didn't lie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=6272554

"I was like the guy in 'My Cousin Vinny.' I shot the clerk? I shot the clerk?" Sellers said. "I didn't do it."
So why resign if he wasn't guilty?
"Because, well, it's kind of difficult to answer that one," Sellers said. "There was no other choice, really. I had to go and prove to the school that I wasn't guilty of what I was accused of doing."
Though Connecticut's sanctions remain place, in February the NCAA agreed with Sellers.
He was cleared.

The logic you use in that final stat is just laughable. People should be punished according to the length of their careers? HEH!!!!!

Reaction Score
Gottlieb was not under Brey's watch and he was punished appropriately. Where exactly in my argument is the BS? Does it hurt that badly to admit to wrongdoing? Look, my father played for UConn, I rooted harder than anybody for UConn growing up, and still do when it doesn't impact ND. But I can admit that the program has done wrong, and when compared to what Tim didn't do wrong, the punishments are not only inconsistent, they are absurd.

So, excuse making for Brey, but mouthfrothing for Calhoun. Got it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Your move.
The agent wasn't being contacted to deliver the player. The agent was being contacted to stay away from the player. You would have no way of knowing what a lot of us UConn fans know about events surrounding Nochimson. He was handling things for Rip Hamilton prior to his involvement with Miles. And Rip found out Nochimson mishandled huge sums of his monies. He contacted JC about this well before Miles came into the picture. Rip and JC have had a mentoring relationship even after his graduation from UConn. JC actually attended Rip's wedding sometime in the middle of all these events. There is no way JC would be involved with an agent who stole money from one of his favorite players.

But the NCAA had records of texts and phone contacts and not what was said in those conversations, so the program was unable to defend itself. This was as much a technicality as the situation with Tim, which I have gone on record before your post as stating Tim did not deserve to be punished.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Your move.

Lol Tin foil hat man. That's not even close to what happened. It's ok that you haven't bothered to learn the details of the situation. Most people let their dislike for Calhoun color their perceptions. Read the NCAA report or simply ignore the facts. We are talking about a 2+ years NCAA investigation that turned up nothing as egregious as what you say. The "having an agent deliver a player" is comical by the way.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Your info is totally wrong. Yeah, players stole laptops. And what did Calhoun do wrong? Nothing. You're mad because UConn kicked players out for misbehavior? Uh. Your list of wrongdoing is only about envy.
Phone calls ARE what he got punished for. Read the NCAA's judgement. UConn was dinged for MINOR rule violations. It's funny that you write that an agent delivered a player to UConn when that agent was introduced to the player by a member of the coaching staff AFTER the player had committed to UConn. The extent of the support that agent offered was dinners and a car ride. No one covered it up either. After the initial allegations that Asst. Coach Pat Sellers lied to the NCAA, he was exonerated in the subsequent investigation when he proved he didn't lie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=6272554

The logic you use in that final stat is just laughable. People should be punished according to the length of their careers? HEH!!!!!
BTW, that's a great article. I never read it nor did I know Sellers was cleared of wrongdoing. And I never knew his relationship was still positive with the Huskies. It's great to know and maybe someday he gets reconsidered for a coaching position at UConn. He deserves it.

I can thank this ND flamer for learning something significant that I had been unaware of.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb was not under Brey's watch and he was punished appropriately. Where exactly in my argument is the BS? Does it hurt that badly to admit to wrongdoing? Look, my father played for UConn, I rooted harder than anybody for UConn growing up, and still do when it doesn't impact ND. But I can admit that the program has done wrong, and when compared to what Tim didn't do wrong, the punishments are not only inconsistent, they are absurd.
You should be smart enough to realize that bringing up the Calhoun situation was not going to go over well here. It's been discussed ad nauseum for over 2 years and we Uconn fans are well versed in our rebuttles to the countless people who have their mind made up about what really happened and believe what they want to believe.

Fundamentally, I think most of us agree that Tim's situation is unfair and unfortunate. That's what this thread is supposed to be about.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Jason, posting on a message board about stuff involving your father and your brother is a really, REALLY stupid idea.

If you want to complain about the NCAA being unfair, you're preaching to the choir.

Reaction Score
Bring it back to the point in question:

Did Tim do something wrong? If you are to somehow decide that he did, does the punishment fit the crime?

The points about UConn issues are completely fair in demonstrating the inconsistency in punishments handed out by the NCAA. I could look at the punishment for the Ohio State players as well and say that they only got 1 more game suspension than Tim. For consistency with my own arguments, that is about 9% of their total career - so it is more severe. But those players sold property that was theirs (and believe me, I'm not a fan of Ohio State), meanwhile their coach covered it up and was initially given a shorter suspension than the players.

The NCAA does not dare anger the coaches who make millions and can sue. But players who have no recourse and no voice are subject to harsher penalties for lesser crimes. The system reeks of inequity for "student-athletes" and to deny that is impossible.

Did Tim do anything wrong? No. But he was ignorant of the rules. When Calhoun claimed that the NCAA rulebook was confusing he was crucified in the court of public opinion. "You're supposed to know the rules". Shouldn't Tim have known the rules regarding his eligibility? When I was in college if I missed a course drop date do you think I got my money back or grade history deleted because I was 'unaware' of the rule?

UConn got 'caught' on a technicality too. Agent had illegal relationship with recruit. Agent was in contact with UConn because he was a former manager. There was no proof that the contacts were directly related to each other. The ONLY reason UConn was in trouble was because the said agent was a UConn alum and therefore considered a 'representative' of the school and cannot have any contact with recruits. If Nochimson was just some agent who graduated from Kentucky there would no violation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Absolutely no offense intended, but this inaccuracy has been repeated over the years and sticks in my craw. NO UConn basketball players stole laptops. A non-basketball player stole some laptops. One player placed a call for this non-basketball player to try and sell those stolen laptops. The other player involved tried to cover for the player who placed the call. Both were punished to the same degree as any regular student would be in a similar situation.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Bring it back to the point in question:

Did Tim do something wrong? If you are to somehow decide that he did, does the punishment fit the crime?

The points about UConn issues are completely fair in demonstrating the inconsistency in punishments handed out by the NCAA. I could look at the punishment for the Ohio State players as well and say that they only got 1 more game suspension than Tim. For consistency with my own arguments, that is about 9% of their total career - so it is more severe. But those players sold property that was theirs (and believe me, I'm not a fan of Ohio State), meanwhile their coach covered it up and was initially given a shorter suspension than the players.

The NCAA does not dare anger the coaches who make millions and can sue. But players who have no recourse and no voice are subject to harsher penalties for lesser crimes. The system reeks of inequity for "student-athletes" and to deny that is impossible.
The problem I see with your rant and attack is that not many people in this thread want Tim to suffer punishment.

Most people in this thread supported Tim and Notre Dame. One or two people alluded that the NCAA treats JC harsher than other programs. But that was not a demonstration that the NCAA should punish Tim.

You came here and escalated things. You created an attack that wasn't even warranted if you read most of the posts in this thread. You went on the offensive against UConn and JC. People here were talking about the NCAA and its unfairness to JC and not that Notre Dame or Tim Abromaits deserved punishment.

And now you are trying to justify yourself and making this an issue about big time coaches and so forth. There is a lot of junk going on in college sports. The sweetheart deal ND has with NBC has raised red flags. This is a no win situation for any of us to get into a p*ssing contest about who is more morally superior to whom. There is enough dirt on all of us to keep things local instead of global. Tim did not deserve to be punished and I'm happy he will be playing for Notre Dame this season.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Absolutely no offense intended, but this inaccuracy has been repeated over the years and sticks in my craw. NO UConn basketball players stole laptops. A non-basketball player stole some laptops. One player placed a call for this non-basketball player to try and sell those stolen laptops. The other player involved tried to cover for the player who placed the call. Both were punished to the same degree as any regular student would be in a similar situation.
Would call this a technicality of a technicality.

Reaction Score
Did Tim do anything wrong? No. But he was ignorant of the rules. When Calhoun claimed that the NCAA rulebook was confusing he was crucified in the court of public opinion. "You're supposed to know the rules". Shouldn't Tim have known the rules regarding his eligibility? When I was in college if I missed a course drop date do you think I got my money back or grade history deleted because I was 'unaware' of the rule?
Just to clarify here before Jason does - Tim did not need to know the rules. Mike Brey needed to know the rules.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that was their only involvement in the crime, and does that make them any less guilty even if you do? It's difficult to have a reasonable conversation with unreasonable people.
How am I being unreasonable?

Reaction Score
@HusbyBballFan You're absolutely right that the people on this forum would a) know more about the Calhoun situation than me and that b) they wouldn't be able to see the point that I was making. I'm pretty open minded about "infractions" because to me the group committing the biggest crimes is always the NCAA. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/

As I said, I'm still a UConn fan, but if the NCAA were after the right things, having players get kicked out of school or not graduate would be a bigger crime than phone calls. But that still leaves Jim Calhoun guilty, and to be fair, with Gottlieb, ND should have been punished as well. But that was 16 years ago and under a different coach - so it's not defending Brey - it's saying that Brey wasn't even in the picture.

Why is kicking a player out of school a crime? You're saying schools should be rewarded for keeping players who commit malfeasance in school? And, if your standard is to punish schools that don't graduate players, why would anyone recruit a potential early NBA draft kid? Your criteria would benefit schools like ND that have fewer NBA players than UConn.

Yes, Calhoun is guilty of making phone calls. BFD!!!!!!!!!! And it's not even illegal anymore to make too many phone calls!

Reaction Score
Didn't bother reading anything in this thread once I saw Abro comment. Best FHS player ever. Yeahhh Farmington!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom