Tiff and Maya squared off tonight | The Boneyard

Tiff and Maya squared off tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The Atlanta Dream came out on top 88 to 75. Both Tiff and Maya each had 23 and led their teams in scoring.

Tiff only played 26 minutes went 7 - 10 from the field, 2 - 3 from three and went 7 for 8 from the line...she pitched in with 3 rebounds, and 2 assists and only had 2 turnovers.

Maya played 35 minutes went 8 - 14 from the field, 4 for 5 from three and 3 for 3 from the line.
Maya also pulled down 9 rebounds, and pitched in with 2 blocks and 2 steals. Maya's turnovers were a little on the high side as she had 5 turnovers.

Boxscore link

Meanwhile elsewhere Taurasi dropped 28 points and 10 assists on Tulsa. She went 8 for 18 from the field, 2 for 7 from 3 and 10 for 10 from the line.

Boxscore link - Phoenix

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tiff was terrific, again. The Dream are really good when they play at home. Not so much on the road.

The Lynx are in trouble, I think. I've been watching them play the past few weeks and I've noticed some disturbing trends for Lynx fans. It's been mentioned many times that the Lynx lack size in the lane and are vulnerable to big post players. The Lynx also lack quickness on the perimeter and teams have been putting a lot of pressure on Whalen and she's wearing down. She has looked very fatigued and her back-up (Monica Wright) is not really a point guard. The Mystics and the Dream -- two very quick teams -- were able to expose the Lynx's poor ballhandlers. Whalen has played poorly of late (perhaps it's fatigue), making poor decisions with the ball and playing as if she has no teammates. Same with Augustus and I noticed some of that from Maya for the first time tonight.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Wow, go Tiff. Just great to see this happening!

Reaction Score
How does a professional basketball team as good and as talented as Minnesota go an entire quarter scoring just 5 points? Looking at the play by play, it appears they quit looking for Maya. All of Maya's points came in the first three quarters.

I agree with the assessments offered concerning Minnesota's weaknesses.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tiff is playing oh so much better than she did during her college days.
So much more variety and toughness to her game
Is she a player who responded to a different style of coaching?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tiff is beginning to play exactly how she played as a senior at UConn and how I expected her to play in the WNBA. She struggled earlier this season with her shot and is now shooting the ball better. Tiff plays best when she's not expected to be the go-to player.

Her WNBA stats this year:

ppg: 10.9; rpg: 3.9; apg: 1.9; fg%: 40; 3fg%: 30

Her UConn stats as a senior:

ppg: 14.7; rpg: 5.8; apg: 3.3; fg%: 50; 3fg%: 40

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And a mesmerizing highlight should be noted here. As the half wound down, Maya takes
a shot between the 3 pt line and half-court. Swish.
But the home crowd goes delirious when Tiff has just enough seconds to then return the
favor FROM HALFCOURT. Swiiiiiiiish again.
Just gorgeous to watch our UConn products.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Ah, Michael. As usual, a nit to pick, a negative question to ask. Most UConn players who make the WNBA, as good as they were in college, do elevate their game as they progress in their professional careers, benefiting from increased competition and overseas play. Can't we just be happy for Tiff and not take a swipe at anyone or anything? I see your glass has a leak in it....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tiff was terrific, again. The Dream are really good when they play at home. Not so much on the road.

The Lynx are in trouble, I think. I've been watching them play the past few weeks and I've noticed some disturbing trends for Lynx fans. It's been mentioned many times that the Lynx lack size in the lane and are vulnerable to big post players. The Lynx also lack quickness on the perimeter and teams have been putting a lot of pressure on Whalen and she's wearing down. She has looked very fatigued and her back-up (Monica Wright) is not really a point guard. The Mystics and the Dream -- two very quick teams -- were able to expose the Lynx's poor ballhandlers. Whalen has played poorly of late (perhaps it's fatigue), making poor decisions with the ball and playing as if she has no teammates. Same with Augustus and I noticed some of that from Maya for the first time tonight.
Plus, Whalen is a scoring PG. She spends so much time driving into the lane and banging around that i'm not surprised she's wearing down. Yes a terrific point guard, but she shoulders too much of the scoring load IMHO. What they need is Mo Jefferson!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ah, Michael. As usual, a nit to pick, a negative question to ask. Most UConn players who make the WNBA, as good as they were in college, do elevate their game as they progress in their professional careers, benefiting from increased competition and overseas play. Can't we just be happy for Tiff and not take a swipe at anyone or anything? I see your glass has a leak in it....

It's true that I ask difficult questions
I truly love the team and admire the staff that gets them there.
It's just the uncritical adulation that sometimes gets under my skin.
In the free-lance music biz that I was in the middle of for 30 years
It was always what have you done for mr lately.
I remember my former clarinet teacher Dave Weber telling me that when they were called to play a session in the 50's say with Stokowski, they had no idea what the repertoire was until they got there…and they had to knock out the solos in utter perfection or they didn't get the next call.
I used to tell my orchestra walking on the stage of Carnegie that any concert could be your last…it didn't make me popular, just as my concerns on the boneyard at times create the same disdain; never satisfied! Yep, that's me.
Anyway, it's been such a dull summer, especially since the end of USA basketball.
And Cat can barrage me with statistics all she likes…Last night, Tiff looked re-made.

Reaction Score

I take it you two are acquainted:) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc