Throw tomatoes at Adub part XII | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Throw tomatoes at Adub part XII

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes, the Dead played ther in '73...I was there but needless to say, I do not remember much of it...

I also went to the UConn Waterbury branch there in the fall of '68 before xfering to Storrs in the spring....the branch was a very strange experience...

72. 2 nights

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is something i wish i knew about in advance i’d have made the trip from upstate ny.
Hopefully this implies the medication worked and you did not need to be hospitalized.

Reaction Score
We just saw Kenny Loggins there, it's a fantastic theater.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Wow the Brass Horse…I vaguely remember an after hours spot in or around there on the second floor of a nearby building also.

Used to stop at Me-Ma’s quite a bit with my parents when I was much younger and Betsy Ross Diner after playing pool at Corner Pocket in h.s. If you timed it right there was a good chance you’d see a brawl in the diner parking lot…

Reaction Score
Hopefully this implies the medication worked and you did not need to be hospitalized.

Working. I am able to walk and I get an MRI tomorrow and see what that tells us. Antibiotic is doing a bang up job I can't actually go to bed and not kinda sleep sitting up in a chair.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Caught a few Zappa shows at the Waterbury Palace back in the seventies. Zappa usually hit the Palace before the annual Halloween / New York shows. Good times. Never made it back to Waterbury until 2013 to see Tower of Power. Spectacular place after the renovations.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I forgot about that early Steely Dan show at the Palace! I was at that too. And probably a bunch more I'm forgetting...
I went to my first concerts at the Waterbury Palace in 1974. Just a young lad in high school. Quite an eye opening experience. I saw Steely Dan in April and then a week later Mott the Hoople and Queen in May. Mott the Hoople was the bigger name at the time. Concert tickets were $6 and I believe I bought them at LaSalles Music in West Hartford. Just paper tickets at the time.

Here are some other shows at the Palace. Pink Floyd was there in 1973.

As far as eating in Waterbury, the only place I frequented was Milite Bakery in Waterbury for their bread. One of my first girlfriends and dormmates from UConn were from Waterbury. And of course Blackie's for hot dogs just down the road in Cheshire.

My 17-year old is a huge Steely Dan fan.

She’s graduating high school this week and having her prom. Only thing she actually cared about….she saw that Steely Dan was performing at SPAC and she wanted to go.

So we went last night. Sat in the rain at SPAC and really just had a remarkable time. I can’t say I was a huge fan going in, but lordy, those people are so freaking talented.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

She’s graduating high school this week and having her prom. Only thing she actually cared about….she saw that Steely Dan was performing at SPAC and she wanted to go.

So we went last night. Sat in the rain at SPAC and really just had a remarkable time. I can’t say I was a huge fan going in, but lordy, those people are so freaking talented.
Good to hear. I haven't seen them since before Walter Becker died, but I'd expect that Fagen always has a crack band, which that music definitely requires. And fellow Woodstock resident Catherine Russell is a great talent in her own right.

Reaction Score

Great to hear. I first heard them at the Waterbury Palace and became a lifelong fan. I saw them multiple times in Hartford over the years but like 8893 not since Becker died. I intend to see them in the next few months. I heard the younger folks are really enjoying their music. I took a lot of heat in my younger days for following them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Great to hear. I first heard them at the Waterbury Palace and became a lifelong fan. I saw them multiple times in Hartford over the years but like 8893 not since Becker died. I intend to see them in the next few months. I heard the younger folks are really enjoying their music. I took a lot of heat in my younger days for following them.

I think it has to do with the way they get their music.

We got what the radio fed us. They have streaming services which are recommending anything and everything to them.

Apple Music matched my daughter up with Steely Dan and she ran with it.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Steely Dan is playing the Bridgeport Ampitheatre later this summer and is included in the 4 pack of tickets for $100 deal.

Reaction Score
WAMS is excellent and is connected to The Palace.

Was Rawhide on the playlist?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good to hear. I haven't seen them since before Walter Becker died, but I'd expect that Fagen always has a crack band, which that music definitely requires.
They honestly haven't missed a beat. They brought in another guitar player over to the left and leave a microphone open in the middle. I caught them last fall at the Oakdale. A bit ironic since the first time I saw them play there Becker made it a point saying "What a great room. This place is really nice!"

August_West

Reaction Score

nice she is going to Conn college iirc? Send her to see one of my 4 bands. We play steely dan.... nothing entertains college students more than seeing a bunch of decrepit UConn grads playing their favorite songs. In the meantime here is an Any Major Dude for her viewing pleasure :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They honestly haven't missed a beat. They brought in another guitar player over to the left and leave a microphone open in the middle. I caught them last fall at the Oakdale. A bit ironic since the first time I saw them play there Becker made it a point saying "What a great room. This place is really nice!"

I have nothing to compare them to, but they were a really professional outfit. Everyone on stage gets their time to shine and I know nothing from nothing about music and even I could tell that those people were really good at what they do. The ‘backup’ singers are off the charts.

nice she is going to Conn college iirc? Send her to see one of my 4 bands. We play steely dan.... nothing entertains college students more than seeing a bunch of decrepit UConn grads playing their favorite songs. In the meantime here is an Any Major Dude for her viewing pleasure :)

She is! And I will.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
When I was at UConn, Beau Bolero was a big draw, they were great. I think they occasionally play reunion shows at Infinty. About 15 years ago I hired Darian to put a band together to play in my basement at a party, he brought Kris Jensen that night. We got Max Creek at ROTC also, and a good Stones cover band who's name escapes me (too many $.25 beers)

Reaction Score
When I was at UConn, Beau Bolero was a big draw, they were great. I think they occasionally play reunion shows at Infinty. About 15 years ago I hired Darian to put a band together to play in my basement at a party, he brought Kris Jensen that night. We got Max Creek at ROTC also, and a good Stones cover band who's name escapes me (too many $.25 beers)
I remember Beau Bolero. I saw them multiple times around Hartford. Was the Stones cover band,, "Blushing Brides"? They were a good cover band. I loved listening to music at the ROTC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The ‘backup’ singers are off the charts.
So true, especially the way they help the lead singer on the some of the high notes. Very smooth. My partner, who can sing, pointed it out to me.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I remember Beau Bolero. I saw them multiple times around Hartford. Was the Stones cover band,, "Blushing Brides"? They were a good cover band. I loved listening to music at the ROTC.

Blushing Brides, thank you! Beer fests, $4 to get in, $.25 drafts. One of the only times (besides proximity to Teds & Huskies) I didn't mind living in Hilltop!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it has to do with the way they get their music.

We got what the radio fed us. They have streaming services which are recommending anything and everything to them.

Apple Music matched my daughter up with Steely Dan and she ran with it.
We played all kinds of stuff for our daughter, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, every classic rock band, disco, all of it. My 19 year old daughter likes a lot of different things as a result, even things my wife doesn't like (Fleetwood Mac, I took her to that show). But what I find interesting is that most of her peers are similar. They like current music, but recognize that a lot of great music came before and just accept it as timeless. I honestly think it is.

August_West

Reaction Score
OK appropriate thread.

next two weeks 4 gigs 4 bands, people asked for a heads up. Here it is:

7/1 - Watkins Glen Band ( Allman Brothers, the Band, Steely Dan, all other early 70s gems, we just put together a medley of "Im your captain>Ride Captain Ride" at rehearsal last night) Hungry Tiger Manchester, block party outdoors 7 -10PM
7/2- Dead Show - yup you guessed it, all Grateful Dead (just off our 2 weekend run of Palace theater, Waterbury and Capitol Theater, Portchester) Hungry Tiger Manchester, block party outdoors 6-10PM. (Same place so I can leave my gear there from night before, YAY ME!)
7/3 - RGB - Crystal Bees' , Southington . Im just a hired fill in guitar for this gig but I guess the bass player was from Vince Welnick (last Grateful Dead keyboardist) band. 5-8 PM. I think it aint all GD though. some classic rock mixed in. Also this place has a kickass Arcade and like 10 bowling lanes.

7/9 - Rolling Thunder Revival- Magic Mountain, Londonderry, VT. - Total Bob Dylan tribute made up of me and my now 6 month pregnant- dont worry she still kicks ass, fiancée, and Scott Murawski and Bill Carbone of Max Creek on guitar and Drums. Its a single day festival on the mountain. 5 bands. Max Creek is headlining too! 1200 capacity 1160 already sold, so if you are near, these are cheap tix for a beautiful day on the mountain. It will sell out before gig.

After that, Im going into hibernation (actually Scotland, but amounts to same thing.)

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OK appropriate thread.

next two weeks 4 gigs 4 bands, people asked for a heads up. Here it is:

7/1 - Watkins Glen Band ( Allman Brothers, the Band, Steely Dan, all other early 70s gems, we just put together a medley of "Im your captain>Ride Captain Ride" at rehearsal last night) Hungry Tiger Manchester, block party outdoors 7 -10PM
7/2- Dead Show - yup you guessed it, all Grateful Dead (just off our 2 weekend run of Palace theater, Waterbury and Capitol Theater, Portchester) Hungry Tiger Manchester, block party outdoors 6-10PM. (Same place so I can leave my gear there from night before, YAY ME!)
7/3 - RGB - Crystal Bees' , Southington . Im just a hired fill in guitar for this gig but I guess the bass player was from Vince Welnick (last Grateful Dead keyboardist) band. 5-8 PM. I think it aint all GD though. some classic rock mixed in. Also this place has a kickass Arcade and like 10 bowling lanes.

7/9 - Rolling Thunder Revival- Magic Mountain, Londonderry, VT. - Total Bob Dylan tribute made up of me and my now 6 month pregnant- dont worry she still kicks ass, fiancée, and Scott Murawski and Bill Carbone of Max Creek on guitar and Drums. Its a single day festival on the mountain. 5 bands. Max Creek is headlining too! 1200 capacity 1160 already sold, so if you are near, these are cheap tix for a beautiful day on the mountain. It will sell out before gig.

After that, Im going into hibernation (actually Scotland, but amounts to same thing.)
Damn, I'm away on vacation this entire time. Sorry to miss the gigs. Please update when you get back.

August_West

Reaction Score
Damn, I'm away on vacation this entire time. Sorry to miss the gigs. Please update when you get back.
vineyard or RI? I need a Vineyard week bad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
vineyard or RI? I need a Vineyard week bad.
RI. A frisbee throw from JC's house actually.

Will always love the Vineyard, but high season just got to be too much of a hassle in all ways. Had a great time out there for our anniversary last year in late September and early October and want to keep doing that whenever we can, but we're heading to San Francisco this year instead (for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass) because we had airline credit from last year's cancelled Key West trip that we had to use or lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom