Three to Sell ... not so thinly disguised | The Boneyard

Three to Sell ... not so thinly disguised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
As has been previously mention here and other places, the Three To See campaign was not just about college basketball. It was an advertising campaign for ESPN ( most obviously) and the WNBA. In the Michelle Voepel podcast posted in another thread she plainly set out that as a goal of the ESPN Three to See. The concept was to draw a thread from the NCAA season and identify the top three players to be drafted into the WNBA. The stated goal was to get fans to connect to the three and then follow them in the WNBA. Again the stated belief was that if you watch NCAA women's basketball you SHOULD be a WNBA fan. Although she acknowledged that doesn't always follow, she implied that it should.

Now I graduated from UConn. I have been a fan of UConn basketball since the 1960's. I love college sports. I have dropped most connections with pro sports a while ago. I am not an NBA, MLB. NFL or other pro sports advocate. I will follow the Three to See in headlines.

I do not appreciate the belief that because I am not a WNBA fanatic, I am not a true women's college basketball fan. I am somewhat bothered by the fact that the NCAA sanctioned this - what it might be called in its worst state - brainwashing. But then again its the NCAA - an organization that has difficulties complying with its mission and members.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't mind it at all. Those three were exciting, dynamic players and each was really different and unique. If it gets more people to watch the NCAA or the WNBA, I say go for it. Maya Moore was advertised continuously for two years, and you know that Breanna Stewart will get the same treatment.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do not appreciate the belief that because I am not a WNBA fanatic, I am not a true women's college basketball fan. I am somewhat bothered by the fact that the NCAA sanctioned this - what it might be called in its worst state - brainwashing. But then again its the NCAA - an organization that has difficulties complying with its mission and members.
I don't mind it at all. Those three were exciting, dynamic players and each was really different and unique. If it gets more people to watch the NCAA or the WNBA, I say go for it. Maya Moore was advertised continuously for two years, and you know that Breanna Stewart will get the same treatment.
I'm with Sarals. Not sure what the reason for opposition could possibly be. Is it any different than on the men's side? If you have Kentucky and UNC in the NC game, it would be a wet dream for the NCAA from an interest/advertising perspective. Dick Vitale has multiple orgasms every time he calls a Duke game. As Sarals pointed out, it was no different than Maya's junior and senior years when much of the advertising during the NCAA run revolved around her. Those years she was the most exciting player and ESPN never missed an opportunity to profile that.

I didn't like Skyler during college, was ambivalent about EDD, and had a hard time rooting for Griner, but you can't deny that those 3 were among the most compelling story lines of the tournament, and they were seniors to boot. The fact that ESPN was trying to help increase interest in the WNBA should be a surprise to no one. It's like complaining about commercials.

Brainwashing? Hardly. It appears you were immune, and I have no doubt that 99.9% of the rest of the country was immune as well. I don't see you complaining about ND getting a huge NBC contract in football or all the hype that surrounds the kids coming out of college for the NBA or NFL draft. I don't like the NCAA either, but let's not pretend they have it in for WCBB. I'd be more likely to care if you were soapboxing regarding men's hoops or football.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
ESPN is a business...it needs to promote itself, and by doing so it also promotes WBB. Employees need to be paid, reinvestment has to happen, and I get to watch sport in HD.…just the way our private economy is supposed to work. No government handouts…I am always astonished when so many object to the capitalism of private enterprise.

I like it that way. Just IMHO…

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with Three to See. ESPN is in the business of maximizing the viewership of the programs it broadcasts, whether women's college basketball, the WNBA or anything else. I think it's quite astute of ESPN to pick three high-visibility college players and use them to carry viewers forward to the WNBA. Personalizing the product is a great marketing tactic. And as sarals mentions, Breanna is in line for the same treatment, and perhaps Stef and Kaleena as well.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with Three to See. ESPN is in the business of maximizing the viewership of the programs it broadcasts, whether women's college basketball, the WNBA or anything else. I think it's quite astute of ESPN to pick three high-visibility college players and use them to carry viewers forward to the WNBA. Personalizing the product is a great marketing tactic. And as sarals mentions, Breanna is in line for the same treatment, and perhaps Stef and Kaleena as well.

Great minds think alike.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Not sure what the reason for opposition could possibly be. Is it any different than on the men's side? If you have Kentucky and UNC in the NC game, it would be a wet dream for the NCAA from an interest/advertising perspective. Vitale has multiple orgasms every time he calls a Duke game. As Sarals pointed out, it was no different than Maya's junior and senior years when much of the advertising during the NCAA run revolved around her. Those years she was the most exciting player and ESPN never missed an opportunity to profile that.

I didn't like Skyler during college, was ambivalent about EDD, and had a hard time rooting for Griner, but you can't deny that those 3 were among the most compelling story lines of the tournament, and they were seniors to boot. The fact that ESPN was trying to help increase interest in the WNBA should be a surprise to no one. It's like complaining about commercials.

Brainwashing? Hardly. It appears you were immune, and I have no doubt that 99.9% of the rest of the country was immune as well. I don't see you complaining about ND getting a huge NBC contract in football or all the hype that surrounds the kids coming out of college for the NBA or NFL draft. I don't like the NCAA either, but let's not pretend they have it in for WCBB. I'd be more likely to care if you were soapboxing regarding men's hoops or football.[/quote]

I don't support any of the items you listed regardless of sport or team. ...but if support those items good for you. I don't think I should complain about football or men's basketball on this board. But if you think I should we can disagree again.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I didn't have a problem with it either. It's about establishing a continuity between the college game and the WNBA, as well as increasing interest in both WCBB and the WNBA.

Basketball is a star-driven sport. Unlike baseball, a basketball star has more opportunities to impact a game. Unlike football, they play in intimate settings wearing shorts and sleeveless tops. They're visible, and they carry teams. Increasing viewership by promoting those individual stars is smart marketing and good for the game. And if it got communities in Phoenix, Tulsa, and Chicago interested, as well as sites with other wnba teams, there's nothing wrong with that. I watch far more college ball than WNBA, but that doesn't mean I think espn shouldn't do what it can to help the league be successful I also don't think the NCAA has much reason to stop espn from promoting its student-athletes.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
PS...As far as brainwashing..unidentified persuasion by any other name..

And I didn't expect to come to a women's basketball site and have the majority agree with me on this...but if we stop thinking about how we are affected (knowingly or unlnowingly) by the outside world in our daily lives...we are in deep trouble...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I had no problem with the campaign - it was a unique situation where identifying the top three draftees was dead easy - most years that is a lot harder. And the benefit to the NCAA in helping to promote professional women's leagues is obvious - in giving their female student athletes a career path to continue to play their sports, it should increase the number of athletes at the college level, their dedication, and the skill level. It is not really necessary for the major men's sports, but they do a fair amount of promotional work - heck they have basically who_ed themselves out as the farm league for the NFL and NBA.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I couldn't resist. After watching the "3 to see" campaign, I went out and bought season tickets for every WNBA basketball game. I can't explain why, I must have been brainwashed. :p

Jeezus adesmar123 - It was just an advertizing campaign. No different than "We Got Next" or any other ad campaign designed to attract fans to women's basketball. It wasn't directed at you and nobody forced you to watch it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't support any of the items you listed regardless of sport or team. ...but if support those items good for you. I don't think I should complain about football or men's basketball on this board. But if you think I should we can disagree again.
Not at all. I was just pointing out the silliness of your post. Obviously no one else agrees with you either. Go figure! And if you really think ESPN was "brainwashing", you need to understand the definition of the word.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
An interesting discussion, but I am unsure why I am "brainwashed" if i disagree with another poster...

please advise ade-123.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Merriam Dictionary
persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
An intersting discussion, but I am unsure why I am "brainwashed" if i disagree with another poster...

please advise ade-123.

I'm not sure what you are referring to?

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
I didn't have a problem with it either. It's about establishing a continuity between the college game and the WNBA, as well as increasing interest in both WCBB and the WNBA.

My point is ..then why not just say that? Why make it an unidentified objective?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Merriam Dictionary
So funny that you cherry pick. It's actually not the primary definition. Try again! Anyone who really thinks "brainwashing" is simply a form of persuesion does not understand the connotation of the word. Not even sure why you keep arguing. You just look silly.

1: a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas
2: persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Ok...I didn't use your definition...next time I will check with you before using a definition from the dictionary to see if it acceptable to you..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok...I didn't use your definition...next time I will check with you before using a definition from the dictionary to see if it acceptable to you..
I'm not sure you are trying to accomplish, but I never asked you to check anything with me. So I don't get your snark. But I do understand why you may feel defensive - no one seems to agree with you.

You referred to ESPN as attempting a brainwashing of people. Your word, not mine. You continue to argue and are looking more and more foolish. There are very few people on this planet who think of brainwashing as simply trying to "persuade" anyone. It's more associated with cults and nefarious activities. You are the one who came on the board with your mini rant, and now your panties are in a bunch because no one agrees with you, and several have called you out for your post.

And by the way, in your original post, you referred to what ESPN did as "brainwashing in it's worst state". A tad over the top, no? So to backtrack and try to use "persuasion" as your definition is not really accurate. Maybe it's time to give it a rest. If not, you can go at it all day long and still not convince anyone...

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are referring to?

I have reread the thread, and I see that I have misread your use and context of the term "brainwashing".

My bad. Sorry

IAC I am fine with the marketing program and yet I believe I can still think in a reasonable objective manner.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Sorry I did what you asked me to do...I went Mirriam and got the definition.. Then I used a definition you choose not to find acceptable. My bad..

Brainwashing takes many shapes and forms. I was using the milder reference. You jumped to the " cults and nefarious" connotation.

I posted an opinion. If people do not agree with me, I am ok with that. I expected that on a women's basketball board. I expressed an opinion that I knew would be difficult to express never mind be persuasive. But if we don't discuss ideas we are don't advance as a culture.

But you win...you beat me down and stopped me from discussing my thoughts which might be a minority view from those who responded to my original post. I am embarrassed because most people did not agree with me. My ideas were "silliness".

Respectfully,

adesmar123

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It's marketing 101.
I'm also guessing it was somewhat effective, since friends of mine who hate women's basketball asked me about the three players and one even used the term 3 to see.
We are all hit with hundreds of marketing messages every day. And, unfortunately for marketers, that volume of messaging has desensitized us to each individual message. So much for brainwashing, but that's another story. Since ESPN broke through the clutter, I give them credit for a good campaign. Perhaps you don't like 32c because you are not particularly fond of the players. Maybe you would have been happier if ESPN had added someone like Kelsey Bone to the mix and called it "Four to Abhor."
One more thing -- show me a campaign with a memorable rhyme or alliteration, and I'll show you a campaign that has a head start over something straightforward.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Merriam Dictionary

Based on that definition, I have definitely been brainwashed by Geno, who has sold me on the idea that he knows how to coach. Actually, I think all the players on the team have been brainwashed into thinking he knows what he is doing, but that's a different subject.

I guess my son brainwashed me too when he convinced me to send him a couple of hundred bucks a few weeks ago. "Hey kid, stop brainwashing me! I'm your dad. Please stop messing with my mind!"

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let's be honest. Here on the Boneyard we were all smugly delighted that while Brittney, EDD and Skylar got all the hoopla, in our hearts we knew (and snickered privately) that our "three (or more) to see" had names like Kelly, Caroline and Heather, cuz it was these three seniors who cut down the nets in Nawlins while ESPN's Big Three watched on TV's at home.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry I did what you asked me to do...I went Mirriam and got the definition.. Then I used a definition you choose not to find acceptable. My bad..

Brainwashing takes many shapes and forms. I was using the milder reference. You jumped to the " cults and nefarious" connotation.

I posted an opinion. If people do not agree with me, I am ok with that. I expected that on a women's basketball board. I expressed an opinion that I knew would be difficult to express never mind be persuasive. But if we don't discuss ideas we are don't advance as a culture.

But you win...you beat me down and stopped me from discussing my thoughts which might be a minority view from those who responded to my original post. I am embarrassed because most people did not agree with me. My ideas were "silliness".

Respectfully,

adesmar123
I didn't jump to anything. I was just using your words. In your very first post, you referred to the actions "in its worst state - brainwashing". How did I misinterpret that? You feel that the definition of "persuasion" is brainwashing in it's "worst" state? I can't imagine what "a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas" would be considered then, since to me that seems worse than your version of persuasion.

I have no problem with your opinions, whether I agree with them or not. I called you out on it and you got defensive. I just find your histrionics and sarcasm amusing. Sorry I caused you to get your panties all in a bunch. I'll be much more sensitive and gentle next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom