Three Things I want to See Tommorrow | The Boneyard

Three Things I want to See Tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. I want to play special teams like we mean it again. I don't know how great our return men are (I don't understand why Newsome can't be), but I want to see consistent effort with coverage and blocking. For years, our gunners were better than our opponents. For years, we worked to create creases for a string of good returners. We played great special teams during our 5 game run to the Fiesta Bowl, and have watched it slip away ever since. I want to see people covering kicks and blocking for our returns like it matters.

2. On defense, option teams are a special test, and their new QB looks to be much more athletic than last year's, but I will settle for winning third downs. Army killed us on third downs last year, and 'Nova converted more than their share. We have better athletes. Do your job, but within the contours of your job on 3rd down make a play.

3. Last week, our offense was sharp in that we got players in and out and plays off, avoided many mistakes and finished 3 of 4 drives in the red zone. But we barely gained 300 yards of total offense. Army's defense is not good. It wasn't good last year and it was shredded by a post-Nebrich Fordham offense. We need to shred Army. Last year, they took away the run and gave us the pass, waiting for us to make mistakes. If they do that again, I want to shred them through the air. If they don't, I want to dominate them in the pits and run the ball with ease. This may be the worst defense we see all year -- I want total yards.

Looks like we'll have a good weather day tomorrow (again). And, for those who, like me, didn't get their caps last week, there will be another chance before the game today.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. Discipline. Players got a taste of success as a reward for hard work. Do they relax or go to the next level? Option teams feed off of impishness and anxiety.

2. Know your role and trust your teammates. Trust is built by watching and playing alongside each other in practice, film room, weight room and class room.

3. Expand the offense. Even gradually. Have the players demonstrated the concentration and technique with existing plays to earn the right to go a bit Crazy Ivan.

3.5 Coaches calling a good game for 60 min.

Reaction Score
Rewatched last year's game. UConn's defense MUST get Army's offense off the field on 3rd down. Last year they destroyed us with long, time-consuming drives. No single big plays, just consistent success churning out solid chunks of yards, and were masterful at converting 3rd down (and 4th down) conversions. We simply couldn't stop them. Gotta be ready this time.

Reaction Score
1. Aggressive play calling on offense to open up the field.
2. Getting Newsome the ball in space.
3. 3rd down stops on defense.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want an early lead and I want it extended to a multiple score lead before halftime.

One thing that hurt us severely last year was never putting Army behind. The triple option is not designed to play catch-up so a lead would be very beneficial to the cause.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For me, everything revolves around 3rd down.

1. No Defensive 3rd and shorts.
2. Defensive stops on 3rd down
3. Efficiency on offense.
3a. Offensive line domination

Reaction Score
1) Dominate in the run game on offense. We averaged over 7 yards a carry last year. We should do the same this year.
2) Scheme adjustments -- last year we did nothing to adjust to the scheme of the opponent. It may have been deliberate, but this year Diaco and Poindexter need to show that they can adjust.
3) LB's getting off blocks and running to the football -- other than Stewart, I don't think our linebackers looked particularly speedy against Villanova. They were probably the weakest of the defensive units, and that's a bit of a worry since they are probably the key to defending the option.

Reaction Score
Repeating what's been said ...

Third downs have to be 3 & 4 yards to go or more. That means the dive play and the QB runs must be throttled.
And ... do not get behind by TDs. We should have some confidence in Shirreffs - far more than last year. However, I don't think we want to win with him slinging.
LBs last week particularly, Diaco & Poindexter did make adjustments mid-game. There was a dramatic conversion to a more settle look; and one that focused on some players and not others. Junior Joseph came up big post-half. (Are you counting Carrezola as a LB ... because I thought he was great all game.) I think against Army, you really want to know how we play Melifonwu and Adams. Safeties have a hugely different role playing the triple option. They need to play kinda the Whip LB that Villanova plays. Good angles and tackles early. (at least one of these guys)

Reaction Score
I expect to show learning from last year, and a game plan that gives the appearance of understanding that the best way to defend the triple option, is by keeping your own offense on the field. when we have to defend the triple option, I'd like to know that we've done something with the defense that shows understanding that you got to take the FB away in the middle, and the ends of the defensive formation on either side wehter it be a DE or LB, got to actually stay locked on the QB, and either force the QB keep or pitch, and plant his ass either way.

If Carrezola is as good a player as he's been pumped to be, the other side of the formation is going to be getting a lot of work after the first quarter. Going to be some sore legs on D after this game, if we get through with a win and a healthy D- that's big.

I'll be looking for write up BL.

Reaction Score
1. Move the ball and finish drives
2. Don't allow the fullback to beat you and keep contain on the ends, no 3rd and long conversions
3. The other team's quarterback must go down and must go down hard. - Al Davis

Reaction Score
They gained a lot of yards on first down. Need to make them go 2nd and longer.

Reaction Score
I want the offensive line to push the pile forward and keep pushing forward all the way to Missouri.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think BL pretty much nailed it. On defense...tackle. These option offenses often get yards due to trailing arm tackles by pursuing defenders. Get to your man and hold on at a minimum until the posse arrives to bring him down. We didn't do this well vs. Nova. If we aren't getting gang tackles it will be a bad sign.

On offense, take what they give. I don't think they can stop the run without over-committing dbs and linebackers. We need to recognize it, use play action and throw enough to make sure they can't just focus on stopping the run. Interceptions would really hurt us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1) Better 3rd down defense
2) More effort to get the ball to play makers
3) Fewer negative plays on offense

I win by three scores would be great to see and give hope for more.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
?impishness?

Sure. Players who want to play "instinctually" and jump the gaps are toast against the option. It's not the offense for creative thinkers defensively. Discipline and trust.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm with you.

I just want 2-0.

Anything else is gravy.
This is my main thought. The chance to be 2-0. 2-0! We can match our win total from last year!

Reaction Score
This is my main thought. The chance to be 2-0. 2-0! We can match our win total from last year!

Last week, winning by any means was enough. But this is a team that just lost to a rebuilding Fordham at home, and this is a year where progress will be measured in a lot of ways besides wins. This week, I want to see more than just a W.

Reaction Score
-An early and fast lead
-hard nosed disciplined football
-dominate the LOS
-have the offense be in a tempo don't worry about clock have a sense of urgency to score TDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom