Three Things I want to See Tommorrow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Three Things I want to See Tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I simply want one thing for tomorrow: to be able to go to the game! But, that ain't happenin'. Tried as hard as I could to get the day off but, it didn't work out. So, I'll listen to WTIC as much as I can and feel good that my daughter and her husband will use my season tickets to enjoy the Huskies beat down of Army. And then.......it's on to Missouri.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
1. I want to play special teams like we mean it again. I don't know how great our return men are (I don't understand why Newsome can't be), but I want to see consistent effort with coverage and blocking. For years, our gunners were better than our opponents. For years, we worked to create creases for a string of good returners. We played great special teams during our 5 game run to the Fiesta Bowl, and have watched it slip away ever since. I want to see people covering kicks and blocking for our returns like it matters.

2. On defense, option teams are a special test, and their new QB looks to be much more athletic than last year's, but I will settle for winning third downs. Army killed us on third downs last year, and 'Nova converted more than their share. We have better athletes. Do your job, but within the contours of your job on 3rd down make a play.

3. Last week, our offense was sharp in that we got players in and out and plays off, avoided many mistakes and finished 3 of 4 drives in the red zone. But we barely gained 300 yards of total offense. Army's defense is not good. It wasn't good last year and it was shredded by a post-Nebrich Fordham offense. We need to shred Army. Last year, they took away the run and gave us the pass, waiting for us to make mistakes. If they do that again, I want to shred them through the air. If they don't, I want to dominate them in the pits and run the ball with ease. This may be the worst defense we see all year -- I want total yards.

Looks like we'll have a good weather day tomorrow (again). And, for those who, like me, didn't get their caps last week, there will be another chance before the game today.

I want to see a win. I don't care if it off 3 fluke turnovers and 2 blown calls...

Reaction Score
Last week, winning by any means was enough. But this is a team that just lost to a rebuilding Fordham at home, and this is a year where progress will be measured in a lot of ways besides wins. This week, I want to see more than just a W.

... which is also the same team which lost to Yale last year and beat us. So I'll just take a win.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
1. Win

2. Better play from LB level - we'll need it against their offense. Will Walsh help? How's about Diggs? Both are athletic enough to get off blocks and make plays, pitch or no pitch.

3. Continued improvement in passing game. Thomas had a good week of practice according to reports. Would love to see him post a 100 yard, 1 TD type of game. Also would love to see Beals make a few grabs. He had a tough drop on a drag pattern in week 1 and I'd like to see him gain some early season confidence.

Reaction Score
If we are worried about being last year's UConn team, this year is already a failure.

Given it is 2015 ... and we did have last year ... let's just go for a good solid played game that WE WIN. I want to see lots better play; but, I think the progression and the confidence builds just with getting a WIN.

Reaction Score
If /when we are going to get blocked drive the blocker into into the runner.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If I could point to something from last week that I really want to see improve (outside of the unsportsmanlike calls), it is the run game.

Ron Johnson carried 23 of the 26 carries by running backs, and he averaged only 3.0 ypc and 69 yards total against a 1-AA team, albeit an extremely good 1-AA team.

Tomorrow, we are going up against a team that has a starting nose guard who weighs a paltry 264 lbs in their 3-4 alignment, accompanied by ends who weigh in between 235 and 250. If we can't find a way to run it down their throats all day, then we will have revealed a very large problem in our offense. Running the ball effectively is what is going to allow us to do things like hit the screen passes to Newsome in space, or Myers on the 10 - 15 yard routes, or Noel Thomas for large gains. It's the key.

Get the W first. But if I get to ask for two things, give me the run game...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Gravy or sauce?
Wrong board. The last thing we need here is someone postulating about Pizza, Beer or Whisky. Before you know it there will be criticism that we are padding our post stats with non-football topics.

Reaction Score
1. D must blow up Army's first down run (it'll always be a run).
2. Linebackers must get up field and make the tackle. No chasing sideline to sideline.
3. Army D can't physically compete straight up. They'll put 8 in the box and when they do UConn's offense must take advantage. Sherriff's decision making ability will the key in attacking whatever Army gives up.

Reaction Score
Last year Varga for Yale was too much for Army. So #3 Ron Johnson, I am looking at you for a big day. No excuses, the O-line must dominate.
An accurate, aggressive passing attack. Thomas is a big weapon, find him. Same for the TE's.
Make the QB pitch and then hit him hard.

Reaction Score
1. A clinic on how to stop the option instead of last year's 60 minute demonstration on how not to stop it
2. No drive killing penalties by the offense
3. No missed extra points

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
First time I've been excited and looking forward to a game in two years. I want to keep that excitement going. Just winning gets me half way there. Building on what I saw last week is the other half.

Reaction Score
The CBS Sports sideline reporter will do. Smoking hot redhead in tight black pants.

Reaction Score
image-1656489420.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
See Melinfonwu's breakdown on the TD pass. So tempting to go for the pick but it's the wrong play.
Interestingly, Diaco said he had no problem with it during the post game on 1080.

Reaction Score
See Melinfonwu's breakdown on the TD pass. So tempting to go for the pick but it's the wrong play.

Still think it's the wrong use of the word (playful/mischievous) but I agree with what you are trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom