Three Takeaways – St. Joe's edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – St. Joe's edition

Reaction Score
Earl Kelly was the reason to watch the team in his day. Al Frederick threw done some monster dunks also but those teams were very overmatched. Earl did beat Cuse twice. Once at the HCC with a game winning field goal on our last possession. The best though was at Cuse before a huge Carrier Dome crowd when he had to put the game away with foul shots. Taking the ball at the line he said "well that's the game boys." He made em both. He had confidence and if he had played for JC, JC would have loved him.

As for last night our horrible shooting night inside the arc doomed us. bmaycu is right on that.

"Skinner" (Al F) was a nice player, underrated overall. Great guy too played against him in CC twice one year got to guard and be guarded by Al, that was not really good but he was a fun dude to play against. Very talkative but in a positive laughing manner. Had a great 10-15 foot tough off the backboard and as you mentioned he could fly. Lucky if he was 6'4" he was always undersized (not against me lol) at UConn but tough as nails and strong. Glad you brought him up thanks good memories.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Not saying he’s nba bound. But srs find other ways to contribute. Yes d Beverly is probably better.

I realize the DBev line was in jest, but honestly, I wish we had him on the team this year. He wouldn't put up big numbers, but he'd keep guys calm and be a solid game manager off the bench. We don't have a guy like that on the team this year... someone whose biggest contributions come from the neck up.

Reaction Score
So much to say after the other night but I can’t find the time lol. I mean there needs to be a change in attitude on D and a increase in efficiency in our impact players just to begin with. Also Coach Hurley needs to pull on that rope early and often when people leave the team concept.

Listen whether you want to hear it or not part of the other night was ST Joes played the best half of their lives period. It was catchy it happens just seems like more to us as of late. While we need to get hands in the face they still made shots some bombs actually. But even when we went out to guard them and they drove we had zero help no one understands help defense or reading a play that’s scary.

No matter game 2 not done yet. Let’s see what happens at Florida who’s have my troubles scoring. They are physical thoughdown low and may kill uaon the boards.

Let’s see what happens before my real rant. Hope I don’t.

Reaction Score
So much to say after the other night but I can’t find the time lol. I mean there needs to be a change in attitude on D and a increase in efficiency in our impact players just to begin with. Also Coach Hurley needs to pull on that rope early and often when people leave the team concept.

Listen whether you want to hear it or not part of the other night was ST Joes played the best half of their lives period. It was catchy it happens just seems like more to us as of late. While we need to get hands in the face they still made shots some bombs actually. But even when we went out to guard them and they drove we had zero help no one understands help defense or reading a play that’s scary.

No matter game 2 not done yet. Let’s see what happens at Florida who’s have my troubles scoring. They are physical thoughdown low and may kill uaon the boards.

Let’s see what happens before my real rant. Hope I don’t.
I didn't see the game, but part of what I heard in Hurley's press conference is that UConn lacks the mentality and players that dictate no mf ing way someone is having a best half of their life against us. I think Hurley realizes he still underestimates the malaise. UConn can't assume a re-emergence 'because we are UConn' there has to be a new culture at every level. Calhoun knew this and did this. Hate to use this as an example, but UMass 'refuse to lose' back in the day is an example of the institutional change needed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game, but part of what I heard in Hurley's press conference is that UConn lacks the mentality and players that dictate no mf ing way someone is having a best half of their life against us. I think Hurley realizes he still underestimates the malaise. UConn can't assume a re-emergence 'because we are UConn' there has to be a new culture at every level. Calhoun knew this and did this. Hate to use this as an example, but UMass 'refuse to lose' back in the day is an example of the institutional change needed.

He even said that last year. Something like "I overestimated what we had here". Don't remember the exact quote.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom