Three Takeaways – Miami Edition | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – Miami Edition

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
No. 1: The biggest strength this staff has had so far is the ability to get the players to improve. I know that's somewhat controversial given how frustrating both AG and CV have been this year, but CV is a MUCH better player than he was two years ago, and basically the entire rest of the roster has improved by leaps and bounds since the end of the 2017/18 season.

And now we're seeing game-over-game improvement from many of the younger guys. It won't always be like that – there will be regression from time to time over the course of the year – but the overall trend is unmissable.

No. 2: They may have recruited a pair of lottery picks in Bouknight and Akok. I knew Bouk would be really good – I kept telling you guys he was a 5-star – but oh my word.

And the thing is, he's not just a scorer. That was the knock on him in high school and AAU, that he had a bit of tunnel vision. Certainly hasn't been the case early in his college career. The dude might not make it to his junior season.

Akok, of course, is an eraser. He has a chance to be our best pure PF since Donyell.

No. 3: I know Carlton is frustrating because he's so slow, but if we're playing an opponent who lets him establish deep post position and then lets us play through him, we are going to win by double-digits every time.

When's the last time we blew the doors off a half-decent team like we did today? I literally can not recall.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
No. 1: The biggest strength this staff has had so far is the ability to get the players to improve. I know that's somewhat controversial given how frustrating both AG and CV have been this year, but CV is a MUCH better player than he was two years ago, and basically the entire rest of the roster has improved by leaps and bounds since the end of the 2017/18 season.

And now we're seeing game-over-game improvement from many of the younger guys. It won't always be like that – there will be regression from time to time over the course of the year – but the overall trend is unmissable.

No. 2: They may have recruited a pair of lottery picks in Bouknight and Akok. I knew Bouk would be really good – I kept telling you guys he was a 5-star – but oh my word.

And the thing is, he's not just a scorer. That was the knock on him in high school and AAU, that he had a bit of tunnel vision. Certainly hasn't been the case early in his college career. The dude might not make it to his junior season.

Akok, of course, is an eraser. He has a chance to be our best pure PF since Donyell.

No. 3: I know Carlton is frustrating because he's so slow, but if we're playing an opponent who lets him establish deep post position and then lets us play through him, we are going to win by double-digits every time.

When's the last time we blew the doors off a half-decent team like we did today? I literally can not recall.
To answer your question, WSU last year.

Reaction Score

I’m worried he might not get to be a soph

Reaction Score
Great team win. Everyone played well, everyone contributed something. Really nice defense though somehow Miami still shot 46% from the floor which watching the game did not seem possible. Perhaps because they couldn't get that many shots off?
Anyway, there isn't anything not to like about this. They took over the game and then steadily pulled away without forcing things. Really happy with that performance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great team win. Everyone played well, everyone contributed something. Really nice defense though somehow Miami still shot 46% from the floor which watching the game did not seem possible. Perhaps because they couldn't get that many shots off?
Anyway, there isn't anything not to like about this. They took over the game and then steadily pulled away without forcing things. Really happy with that performance.
Which is why stats are limited. We dominated this entire game even before we pulled away. Trading baskets at the beginning of the game by not playing intense on defense after a 3 hour game less than two days earlier was smart.

Hurley is proving to be a very good coach this season.

Reaction Score
It turned out to be an aberration, but beating Cuse in the Garden last year was fun.

But this looks repeatable. Bouknight...wow.
Talent aside, what really stands out is the kid’s poise and presence. He plays under control and with great confidence. Let’s thoroughly enjoy this year and hopefully next year, because this kid will be in the league soon.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Talent aside, what really stands out is the kid’s poise and presence. He plays under control and with great confidence. Let’s thoroughly enjoy this year and hopefully next year, because this kid will be in the league soon.

Yeah it’s the total package. He just has “it.” He looks like an alpha Jeremy Lamb.

Reaction Score
Bouk did a great job of getting into the heart of the D and then dishing out to the 3 pt line on 2-3 occasions. Much better shot set up than the usual swings around the perimeter we see.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
What's really impressed me with Bouknight is his instincts and nose for the ball. He's had a few plays each game where he's been at or near the rim, right place, right time, for some easy points.

Obviously he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Can create space. Shifty for someone his size. Tremendous body control. Stoke looks great too.

Really hard not to get overly excited about him.

Reaction Score
What's really impressed me with Bouknight is his instincts and nose for the ball. He's had a few plays each game where he's been at or near the rim, right place, right time, for some easy points.

Obviously he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Can create space. Shifty for someone his size. Tremendous body control. Stoke looks great too.

Really hard not to get overly excited about him.

he has a Caron Butler like sense on the offensive glass

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#2 Akok.

His rebounding and outlet passes bring back good memories. He doesn't stand there waiting for a guard to hand off the ball. Not only does he snap an outlet he also sprints to the rim.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
CV is a MUCH better player than he was two years ago,
So far this season, CV seems to have regressed to his 'under ollie' form. Last year, especially after Christmas,
the volume 3 point attempts and out of control drives were almost gone. Not so much the bad drives, but the chuck that three mentality seems to have returned this year. Better today, though.

I knew Bouk would be really good – I kept telling you guys he was a 5-star – but oh my word.
Fishback mentioned both Earl Monroe and George Gervin in describing Bouk's moves to the hoop today.

I know Carlton is frustrating because he's so slow,
I'm beginning to think that extra muscle has slowed him a step or two.

As an aside, it seems like it's been a couple weeks since anyone on the 'yard has complained about Akok's skinny legs.

Reaction Score
I’m worried he might not get to be a soph
I don't disagree that James Boukets is setting himself up as one of the best ever at UConn. Many here called it. Well at least a few of the 5* posters. If not mistaken Big Cali McCracken, Coach N., Meriden's legendary Man of the Year Mau, Fleudslipscon "W. Balloon Fluedy", Cheif00 and of course Maxim 55/BField one of college basketball's most renown insiders all called it.

Super John, Fishy, Deepster and Champs 0904 in his retirement will petition to ultimately decide the fate and status of Mr. James Boukets.

Stay tuned the fun just started.

Reaction Score
The biggest takeaway for me was the movement on the offensive end, both off the ball and passing the rock. The team was fluid today and was a joy to watch. It was a far cry from how stagnate we looked the past few years. The change in culture is so refreshing!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
So far this season, CV seems to have regressed to his 'under ollie' form. Last year, especially after Christmas,
the volume 3 point attempts and out of control drives were almost gone. Not so much the bad drives, but the chuck that three mentality seems to have returned this year. Better today, though.

Fishback mentioned both Earl Monroe and George Gervin in describing Bouk's moves to the hoop today.

I'm beginning to think that extra muscle has slowed him a step or two.

As an aside, it seems like it's been a couple weeks since anyone on the 'yard has complained about Akok's skinny legs.

I liked Fishback quite a bit. Don't remember hearing him call a game before. I guess he's an SEC guy?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It turned out to be an aberration, but beating Cuse in the Garden last year was fun.
It was a blast. Even the storm and how hard it was to get in and out of the city adds to the legend.

That said, I really wish I had gone this weekend. We turned a corner and it would have been great to see in person. Looks like everyone had a blast as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom