Three Takeaways – Florida edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – Florida edition

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Gilbert makes anything we win going away.

If you're betting on Gilbert to out shoot the other team, you're generally going to lose that one. The difference is, those kids are good shooters. Just young.

It was clear what was available out there; they missed a ton of open threes. I was yelling at the TV for our guys to close out. It's the same shots St Joes's was getting (and making).

He said he was happy the reporter asked about UConn and said right away a lot of it was UConn, he was impressed with our length and speed.

That's classic coach speak. Again, he's got a very young club. He's got to manage them mentally. It's a savvier version of Calipari's "there just freshman".

Reaction Score
If Gilbert can shoot 35% on FGs and 85% FTs we should have 20 wins

Reaction Score
If you're betting on Gilbert to out shoot the other team, you're generally going to lose that one. The difference is, those kids are good shooters. Just young.

It was clear what was available out there; they missed a ton of open threes. I was yelling at the TV for our guys to close out. It's the same shots St Joes's was getting (and making).

That's classic coach speak. Again, he's got a very young club. He's got to manage them mentally. It's a savvier version of Calipari's "there just freshman".
Again, I disagree with you. Gilbert is shooting terribly but yes I don't expect him to go O-fer when they are wide open shots. Both teams shot terribly from three and missed some open ones they should make, we were a little worse than them and we shot lower than our typical percentage than they did. I thought we made them uncomfortable the entire game.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Again, I disagree with you. Gilbert is shooting terribly but yes I don't expect him to go O-fer when they are wide open shots. Both teams shot terribly from three and missed some open ones they should make, we were a little worse than them and we shot lower than our typical percentage than they did. I thought we made them uncomfortable the entire game.

Ironic that Gilbert shot bad but when hit that horrible long fade away 2 with 90 seconds left.

Reaction Score

They had open threes, mainly off of penetration and post ups when the defense collapsed. But they didn't have them early. We took it away in the first 6-8 minutes vs. letting SJU walk up and shoot uncontested 3's from the tip on Wednesday. There's a mental aspect to the game, and it's a lot tougher to get going when you miss your first couple of looks.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

If you were talking passing or dishing to cutters, I'd agree with you. The only shots they were getting was Blackshear, Nembhard taking it at us (he's gonna be good), and 3pters. Everybody in my group of 10 was commenting on the open threes.

The real clue tho is that Florida has shot poorly from 3 to start the season, so it's not just this game and our defense affecting them. It wasn't our defense causing certain players to shoot poorly from three their first few games either. I'm sure our d bothered them to some degree, but They don't have confidence yet.

Put it this way, if we give up these types of shots against a decent team, we are going to lose way more often than not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well my big thing is... this win is such a breath of fresh air. Felt like real progress. Just the effort and energy up and down the lineup was great. I felt like they needed that 'proof that this is working' win and they got it. The crowd killed it today, too and it all added up to the best UConn day I can remember in years.

-I hear people's commentary on them leaving wide open threes and the potential to get burned by them again - but we also weren't shooting lights out either. Other teams won't miss that many buckets, but we won't either. I thought the *effort* on defense was outstanding and full of little things... Akok had so much presence down low - really impacted shots and it didn't show up in the stat line but he looked sensational today. Our press is legit and really plays into our strengths in a weird way. I hope Hurley keeps rolling it out.

-Ditto for Isaiah Whaley. Another quiet, impactful performance grabbing boards - and while he's no knock down shooter - he made every shot he needed to make. Some extra minutes from him would be a huge deal for this team this season.

-Gilbert's shooting was so bad. He's getting too many shots. I would expect that get scaled back w/ Bouknight in the fold, but woof.

-Bouknight is back this week and man - this team needs a shooter. If he's as advertised, we have a shot to be pretty decent.

-Someone shoot the Yard Goats hype guy into the sun. I'll slit my throat on camera if I ever hear someone say 'stomp stomp clap clap' ever again.

Overall though, a fantastic win. I'm interested to see what happens in Charleston this week.

Reaction Score
Yea I cant wait to see the highlights since I couldn't watch the game!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
-Gilbert's shooting was so bad. He's getting too many shots. I would expect that get scaled back w/ Bouknight in the fold, but woof.[\quote]

Absolutely needs to scale back. It's keeping the other team in the game. I made a comment during the game that if I were Florida, I'd double Carlton with Gilbert's man and let him shoot from outside....until he can prove that's a bad idea.

-Bouknight is back this week and man - this team needs a shooter. If he's as advertised, we have a shot to be pretty decent.

Even more, this team needs somebody who can create their own shot. And supposedly Bouk can do that. Can't come soon enough

Reaction Score
-Someone shoot the Yard Goats hype guy into the sun. I'll slit my throat on camera if I ever hear someone say 'stomp stomp clap clap' ever again.
I was thinking to myself there’s no way he actually said that. That’s the most moronic thing you could say in front of 10k people

Reaction Score
It was nice to see AG hit that crucial shot to push the lead to 3 late. Shows a lot of confidence to take and make that given he hasn’t been shooting very well to start the season.

Reaction Score
It was nice to see AG hit that crucial shot to push the lead to 3 late. Shows a lot of confidence to take and make that given he hasn’t been shooting very well to start the season.

Confident if made. Arrogant if missed lol

Reaction Score

This is the one thing that anyone too happy about the result of the game should be concerned about. In the first half, UF had the same looks St Joe's did........they just missed the shots. This game easily could have gone the same route as that one. After the first 6-8 minutes, the D was much better. But we were very lucky UF did not hit their early looks, or this would have been another early blowout. Someone has to get our guys ready to answer the bell from the get go.

Reaction Score
It’s not that AG needs to make more of his shots as much as he needs to take less. Yesterday he took more shots, 13, than anyone and made 3.

Until he shoots better than 40% he needs to cut his shots down to single digits. Be a point guard. The other facets of his game improved yesterday.

Last edited:

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
The only disappointing part of the game on my end was watching the defensive effort and realizing that if we had played that hard against St Joe's, we'd be 3-0.

Growing pains. I imagine the boys remembered the practice that Hurley put them through the day after St Joe's and didn't want to experience that again.

Reaction Score
Well, next game will be completely different as the scouting dictates.
Polley will be hounded at the 3, continue to get Josh in foul trouble or force travels, Vital is the defensive stopper, let AG shoot he can't find the hoop, and let Sid do his thing, he's out of control. Akok is a problem.

We may see a complete reversal in the next game where Sid puts on a show and AG lights it up.
This could get fun.....with more minutes for Whaley, Adams, Gafney and the unknown Bouknight....oh my

Reaction Score
Well my big thing is... this win is such a breath of fresh air. Felt like real progress. Just the effort and energy up and down the lineup was great. I felt like they needed that 'proof that this is working' win and they got it. The crowd killed it today, too and it all added up to the best UConn day I can remember in years.

-I hear people's commentary on them leaving wide open threes and the potential to get burned by them again - but we also weren't shooting lights out either. Other teams won't miss that many buckets, but we won't either. I thought the *effort* on defense was outstanding and full of little things... Akok had so much presence down low - really impacted shots and it didn't show up in the stat line but he looked sensational today. Our press is legit and really plays into our strengths in a weird way. I hope Hurley keeps rolling it out.

-Ditto for Isaiah Whaley. Another quiet, impactful performance grabbing boards - and while he's no knock down shooter - he made every shot he needed to make. Some extra minutes from him would be a huge deal for this team this season.

-Gilbert's shooting was so bad. He's getting too many shots. I would expect that get scaled back w/ Bouknight in the fold, but woof.

Overall though, a fantastic win. I'm interested to see what happens in Charleston this week.

He's so bad and cringeworthy. I can't get away from him. Every time I go to a game he's there with a damn microphone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m still waiting for everyone to realize Vital is the best player on the team. Another Kenpom MVP performance yesterday.
I think people are more uneasy about the implications of this rather than its reality, and thereby deeply wish for it not be so.

I also think that CV himself would be overjoyed if a shift away from this being so were to accompany balanced team play, performance growth from both newcomers & veterans, winning results, and post-season action.

Reaction Score
This is the one thing that anyone too happy about the result of the game should be concerned about. In the first half, UF had the same looks St Joe's did........they just missed the shots. This game easily could have gone the same route as that one. After the first 6-8 minutes, the D was much better. But we were very lucky UF did not hit their early looks, or this would have been another early blowout. Someone has to get our guys ready to answer the bell from the get go.

I agree. I'm happy for the kids to win a much hyped game, but this is a very overrated Florida team they beat. They were beaten easily by FSU and beat lowly Towson by 2. A good win no doubt, but we will face a lot better teams throughout the year.

Reaction Score
No. 1: Enjoy this. Been a while.

No. 2: Don't get too low – there's enough talent on this team to beat the occasional top 20 opponent. Tyler & Josh stepping up like this was such a pleasant surprise.

No. 3: Don't get too high – there isn't enough talent to avoid the occasional humiliating loss to a mid-major.

Beyond everything else, this group has to win the effort battle first and foremost. They did today. If that's a sign of what's to come we'll have a pretty good year.
This was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. I haven’t watched the game yet. Was in Philly for Pats Eagles. But it sounds like Polley was a star. I don’t know what to make of this week frankly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom