Three Of The Top 7 Teams Lose Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Three Of The Top 7 Teams Lose Today

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It’s all about Taylor and Balogun. As those two go, so goes Duke. And I think they can carry the team pretty far.

Also, the refs didn’t bite on so much of UNC’s flopping, which was a relief for TV viewers everywhere.
I think the NCAA needs to put out a notice to all teams that if the flopping doesn't stop they will start calling blocking fouls on the person that flopped. After a few calls at the beginning of a game, they will stop.

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA needs to put out a notice to all teams that if the flopping doesn't stop they will start calling blocking fouls on the person that flopped. After a few calls at the beginning of a game, they will stop.
I'm with you there, but I'd also look for a change on the offensive side. The so-called "principle of verticality" seems to have completely gone by the wayside. We see too many flopping drives to the rim, where the offensive player falls down after every drive, and then looks offended when they don't get a whistle. It's an art form. I'm glad it hasn't caught on in the Big East. In our OOC games, we were treated to a lot of this from Mabry, Clark, Latson and Bejedi... I could go on. It's bad for the game, and I think coaches and refs should try not to encourage it. I much prefer guards who stay on their feet after a drive in order to get back on D quicker.

Reaction Score

I'm with you there, but I'd also look for a change on the offensive side. The so-called "principle of verticality" seems to have completely gone by the wayside. We see too many flopping drives to the rim, where the offensive player falls down after every drive, and then looks offended when they don't get a whistle. It's an art form. I'm glad it hasn't caught on in the Big East. In our OOC games, we were treated to a lot of this from Mabry, Clark, Latson and Bejedi... I could go on. It's bad for the game, and I think coaches and refs should try not to encourage it. I much prefer guards who stay on their feet after a drive in order to get back on D quicker.

Does anyone know why the NCAA hasn't made flopping a foul for the women's side? Recall reading somewhere it had been considered when they implemented change for mens' games. Can't remember the reason, or if one was provided.

Reaction Score
It’s all about Taylor and Balogun. As those two go, so goes Duke. And I think they can carry the team pretty far.

Also, the refs didn’t bite on so much of UNC’s flopping, which was a relief for TV viewers everywhere.

Day-Wilson's ability to avoid turnovers should also be noted. I can't recall her ever having a turnover free game, including her high school career. Add in her assists, which have been increasing recently, the offense has a better flow. For her, that's a huge change. One I think will benefit her big time over the long term.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lol, well we kind of did it to ourselves with the midseason disappearing act last year. Net is the only thing that really matters. Polls are just pathetic popularity contests. We just need to put our heads down and keep working.

Hopefully no reckless player from Syracuse (or any other school) injures Taylor again this season. I still say if she doesn't get injured, we make the NCAA's last year. As you know, this year is a different team, and Lawson is a better coach.. we are.... hungry and deep, and we are defensive minded. In our conference every game (except for vs Pitt) will be a battle, so I think we will be focused for every opponent.

Reaction Score
Hopefully no reckless player from Syracuse (or any other school) injures Taylor again this season. I still say if she doesn't get injured, we make the NCAA's last year. As you know, this year is a different team, and Lawson is a better coach.. we are.... hungry and deep, and we are defensive minded. In our conference every game (except for vs Pitt) will be a battle, so I think we will be focused for every opponent.
I'd really like to see Celeste get the season her talents deserve.

Reaction Score
not sold on Duke yet, seen this movie too many times, Louisville at home will tell me a lot. After an emotional win let's see if they can get this win.

Reaction Score
what movie?
last year Duke starting 8-0 beat Iowa everyone thought they arrived, go on to be 17-13 and miss the tournament. I don't think they'll miss the tournament this season, but I'm not going to project them a top 20 team either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
last year Duke starting 8-0 beat Iowa everyone thought they arrived, go on to be 17-13 and miss the tournament. I don't think they'll miss the tournament this season, but I'm not going to project them a top 20 team either.

Totally different team. Last year's team was weak defensively, Lawson admits that. Her exact quote was "We were a poor defensive team a year ago. That's my fault." It was a point of emphasis in the offseason to improve on that front. This year's team has legitimate depth, and our biggest weakness last year (post play) has improved with the new additions. My biggest concern after the preseason was 3pt shooting and FT's. The 3pt shooting has improved the past few games, but its still an issue. Our FT shooting is GREATLY improved. The team shot 66.2% last year... so far its at 76.5%. Our PG shot 68% last year, this year she is at 79.3. Taylor and Balogun are both shooting the FT's alot better.. our C is shooting at 80.0% from the line. There is really only one poor FT shooter on the team.. unfortunately its PG Oliver at 33.3% currently.

I think we make the NCAA's.. barring a slew of injuries. The remaining schedule (along with the others in our pod) is absolutely brutal. Louisville on Sunday.... Home and homes with VPI and Big Carolina, at ND, at FSU, a rematch with State in Durham, at UVA, at Ga Tech, home vs Miami. A 12-6 record might get you a double bye in the ACC tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe it’s my irrational admiration for Celeste Taylor, but I think losing her to injury was a defining moment last season. If she’s available for the entire season now, I think that’s going to make a huge difference for Duke. I’d say it’s comparable to losing Paige Bueckers — no, Duke wasn’t nearly as deep as UConn then or now, but you don’t lose a player like Taylor with no consequences.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s my irrational admiration for Celeste Taylor, but I think losing her to injury was a defining moment last season. If she’s available for the entire season now, I think that’s going to make a huge difference for Duke. I’d say it’s comparable to losing Paige Bueckers — no, Duke wasn’t nearly as deep as UConn then or now, but you don’t lose a player like Taylor with no consequences.
Why would your admiration of Taylor be irrational? She's fun to watch, dating back to her time with Texas. Her injury did impact how Duke performed last season, no question about it.

Reaction Score
Geno said earlier this season how hard it would be for any team to go undefeated in today’s landscape. Days like this happen more and more.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Two more in the top 12 lose in the early afternoon slot... UCLA and Iowa. Utah escaped

Reaction Score
Osborne did not play after hurting her shoulder Thursday against Oregon.
I think I saw the hit online. It was a tough blow to her shoulder. Did they say how long she would be out? Hopefully she heals up quick.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Michigan State defeats #4 Indiana 83-78
Duke defeats #6 NC State 72-58
Clemson defeats #7 Virginia Tech 64-59

Now if we can manage to keep Marquette out of this story come Saturday night.......

Also, Florida State defeats #13 North Carolina 76-71

Posted this to the main forum, unable to delete this post, my bad
Java, you beat me to the punch....................again. I was going to post this to remind everyone and illustrate how easy it is to lose to an "unranked" team, especially when you're short-handed. #20 Maryland and #7 Notre Dame caught us at precisely the right time. They didn't celebrate their victory any less vigorously because we had several starters out. At least our losses were to ranked teams. The Boneyard would explode if UConn would lose to an unranked team.

As bright as things looked prior to August 1 (the day Paige went down), there were few if any posters (as I recall) suggesting that this team would run the table this season. I looked at the box scores for each of those games. Can't tell if more players were available than were used.

In contrast to the fate other top 10 programs are suffering, UConn is doing quite well. It's not perfect at times, but the bottom line is UConn continues to win games they are supposed to. The sun is coming out and appears the worst is behind us. If the injury bug will pack up and move on, we'll be in good shape the rest of the way. Keep hope alive. :cool:

Reaction Score
Congrats to Duke. Very solid defensive team. They won't be out of many games because of their terrific team defense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Think we deserve to be in the top 20 now?
In 14 games, Duke's only loss was to UConn 78-50 in the Phil Knight Lagacy Tournament in Portland the day after thanksgiving. They beat #6 NC St. Thursday, I'd say at least in the top 25. :cool:

Reaction Score
Think we deserve to be in the top 20 now?
After holding off Louisville yesterday. I am right there with you. Coach Lawson can coach!! Elizabeth Balogun had a sweet game! I still love watching Celeste Taylor. That young lady is a natural born competitor. But mad props to Coach Lawson and what she is building in Durham. 13-1 or 14-1 and they aren't even ranked....yet. They making some noise and going to be a program. That ACC is going to be tough!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom