Three Of The Top 7 Teams Lose Today | The Boneyard

Three Of The Top 7 Teams Lose Today

Reaction Score
Michigan State defeats #4 Indiana 83-78
Duke defeats #6 NC State 72-58
Clemson defeats #7 Virginia Tech 64-59

Now if we can manage to keep Marquette out of this story come Saturday night.......

Also, Florida State defeats #13 North Carolina 76-71

Posted this to the main forum, unable to delete this post, my bad

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Michigan State defeats #4 Indiana 83-78
Duke defeats #6 NC State 72-58
Clemson defeats #7 Virginia Tech 64-59

Now if we can manage to keep Marquette out of this story come Saturday night.......

Also, Florida State defeats #13 North Carolina 76-71

Posted this to the main forum, unable to delete this post

Definitely a big upset day. NC State losing isn't a huge shock considering they were without Robinson and Duke looks good this year.

Clemson beating VaTech though is a major shocker. The only teams Clemson has faced among the big 6 they've lost all 4 by an average of 32 per game, then somehow beat a top 10 team.

As for North Carolina, they aren't playing great as of late. Deja Kelly is not an efficient playmaker and they seem to be trending downward.

LSU played their first quality team today and throttled Arkansas by 24 on the road. We'll see if they can play consistently at a high level, but that's a great sign for Kim and her squad.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn not only defeated NC State and Duke, but they did it without Dorka. The only two losses were without two main cogs of the wheel Azzi and Dorka. I like where we are at right now and can't wait for Azzi to return. Just think were UConn might be if Paige and Ice hadn't had season ending injuries.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Definitely a big upset day. NC State losing isn't a huge shock considering they were without Robinson and Duke looks good this year.
I hope when we play Duke again in February, that someone wearing the Red and White will find Celeste Taylor and guard her. She couldn't miss from downtown tonight...and was wide open a couple of times.

That 2nd quarter was a disaster for NC State, and although they made the game interesting early in the 4th quarter, the game was decided in the second stanza.

Reaction Score
UConn not only defeated NC State and Duke, but they did it without Dorka. The only two losses were without two main cogs of the wheel Azzi and Dorka. I like where we are at right now and can't wait for Azzi to return. Just think were UConn might be if Paige and Ice hadn't had season ending injuries.
With a healthy Dorka and Azzi, the only serious threats to UCONN would be Stanford and SC, the rest are pretenders.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some mayhem was accomplished in the top 25. It seems sort of like a reality check. ND barely squeaked out a win against Miami, too.

Miami had three 3-pointers in the last minute to tie the game, but couldn't convert. The Irish barely escaped.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
@CamrnCrz1974 @Ladeeeeda Since they won't listen to me ;)

The schedule does us no favors though as Louisville comes to town for a 12 noon tipoff on Sunday. If we manage to win on Sunday, perhaps we can move up to #26 in the polls next week.

Want you to win on Sunday, matter of fact would like to see Duke win it all in the ACC. Helps UConn in the end.:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke has only 1 loss! Remind me again who beat them. ;)

giphy.gif

Reaction Score

The schedule does us no favors though as Louisville comes to town for a 12 noon tipoff on Sunday. If we manage to win on Sunday, perhaps we can move up to #26 in the polls next week.

Lol, well we kind of did it to ourselves with the midseason disappearing act last year. Net is the only thing that really matters. Polls are just pathetic popularity contests. We just need to put our heads down and keep working.

Reaction Score
When everyone's season starts to unfoil once they play stiff competition, I realize why UConn schedules the toughest of the toughest seasons. It helps you point out flaws ahead of the Big Dance.

I'd much rather learn from a Maryland or Notre Dame game than against Clemson or Michigan state, no disrespect to those teams but it all makes sense in Geno's full season strategy. The no back to back losses streak and Final four streak happen way before March.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Realistically, UConn will probably move up to #6. I think they should move up to #5. But as the ESPN article says, these teams lost with key players out with injuries. So who knows how far Indiana will drop.

Reaction Score
Realistically, UConn will probably move up to #6. I think they should move up to #5. But as the ESPN article says, these teams lost with key players out with injuries. So who knows how far Indiana will drop.
Unlike our losses, which involved no injuries to key players. I’m with you on this one and fully expect the AP poll to discount our injury woes while emphasizing those of Indiana and others.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Duke! That was a great defensive team I saw vs NC State. Duke plays fantastic TEAM defense. Defense always keeps you in a game. Being able to get a stop in Q4 when the game is tight is a great asset. Watch out for the Dukies if their offense continues to improve.

Reaction Score
Still games to play before next week’s polls (which at this point reflect minimally on March tournament seeding). Indiana plays Nebraska, tOSU hosts #14 Michigan, ND faces Boston College, UConn vs Marquette, LSU and Vanderbilt.

If the favored teams win I’d put UConn #5 over Indiana which lost to unranked 9-5 Michigan State. I could see the poll voters jumping undefeated LSU over both UConn and Indiana with its decisive first (and potentially only) regular season win over a ranked team. (I think Tennessee will eventually make back into the top 25 BTW)

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This is as expected when conference play starts. Maybe not this many on the first full day but there will be upsets.

Some I was expecting, some eye opening, and others not so much.

A few on here are surprised by the VT game but honestly, I am not. Historically VT shrinks in big games, and they didn't utilize their post-game, but Clemson packed the paint and dared the Hokies to beat them from the outside and they couldn't. That sums up that game. Kitley/Soule were a combined 7-12 from the floor. Each of them should have had more shots. The VT guards were 10-34 (Amoore/King/Traylor). This is a game where Ashley Owusu would have had a field day with her dribble drive, but she is still sidelined. I don't know but watching VT sometimes is a head scratcher.

Florida State beating UNC is not that surprising for a few reasons. I have had FSU in my Boneyard poll for the last few weeks. Prior to the UCONN loss their lone defeat was a holiday tournament to Oklahoma State, and it was the first few games without Taylor Obrien and FSU couldn't hit the ocean with a beach ball. UNC has had to battle back in several games this season which they did and claim victories but at some point, it wasn't going to happen, and ACC play may very well see them do the same.

Duke has great pieces, and they may well be finally clicking for Coach Lawson. I couldn't be happier for @triaddukefan and our other Duke friends on here. Taking out NC State at home is a huge win! I think NC State will be fine when Diamond Johnson returns, and Jada Boyd gets back in game shape.

Lastly, I think this is where Louisville makes its resurgence. While they are not ranked it wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat these teams and climb back into the top 25 and end in the upper part of the ACC.

Thursday nights are always so much fun for conference games and my eyes are looking at the ACC and SEC because I think they will beat up on each other.

Side not about the Big10 I do like Indiana, but it was also a matter of time before being without Grace Berger got them. I'm more shocked it took as long as it did. She is the glue for that team, and they missed her in their loss.

Reaction Score
Unlike our losses, which involved no injuries to key players. I’m with you on this one and fully expect the AP poll to discount our injury woes while emphasizing those of Indiana and others.

It's BS if they do. Indiana was without Berger prior to their game versus Tennessee and they won that handily. If they discount that injury with the Michigan State loss, UConn's loss to Maryland should be viewed very differently going forward.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Duke looked really good to me last night. If they can continue to play like that then, they will have a very good season. Also, if UConn does not beat this season's Marquette team, they won't deserve to be in the top ten.

Reaction Score
Duke looked really good to me last night. If they can continue to play like that then, they will have a very good season. Also, if UConn does not beat this season's Marquette team, they won't deserve to be in the top ten.
It’s all about Taylor and Balogun. As those two go, so goes Duke. And I think they can carry the team pretty far.

Also, the refs didn’t bite on so much of UNC’s flopping, which was a relief for TV viewers everywhere.

Reaction Score
FSU has a very good squad. Latson is something else for a true freshmen, plays way beyond her years and is extremely fun to watch.

Both FSU and Duke deserve to be in the top 25, which I expect they will in the next ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom