Three Guard Option with Boat & Bazz... | The Boneyard

Three Guard Option with Boat & Bazz...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would make the argument that UConn has the capability to put together one of the most confounding shell games in college basketball. A shell game that will lead to New Orleans and a chance to repeat as national champions. The second coming of Lethal Weapon Three. This tandem consisting of Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and Jeremy Lamb. The primary focus on distribution, defense and depth. The other 2 spots we can rotate. I would like to see Drummond and AO step into the other two spots at some point in the season based on performance. In my opinion a national championship run is more probable with these 5 players logging the most minutes and playing at the top of their game. This back court would be the most difficult to pressure in America. It won’t start off this way as Boatright will undoubtedly come off the bench in his return after missing 6 games. Before the three guard set is implemented from the start of games it should always be in effect to finish games with Drummond removed from the line up.

I believe this 3 guard set can average 48 ppg and 16 apg by the end of the year when implementing distribution, defense and depth. This threesome would be athletic and aggressive causing huge discrepancies at the foul line with our opponents.

What about defensively with Bazz and Boat together? I am a buyer of this tandem on the defensive end of the court despite the counter argument that they are to small to play together. Bazz has already proven to be a solid defender. He just needs to bring that intensity every minute of each game. Every player is going to have bad nights offensively. Great defenders never have off nights. Boat and Bazz both have tremendous speed and quickness. These 2 qualities are shortcomings for many players. The thing I like about both these players that lends itself to a solid defensive pair is both are aggressive minded athletes with the potential to always be on attack. ANYONE through hard work and attention to detail can learn to play great defense.

For Boat and Bazz to coexist together and be a dynamic duo on the defensive end as guards they simply need a few character traits:

Desire and Pride
Speed and Quickness
Adaptability and Anticipation
Aggressiveness

With Boat and Bazz at the guard position as part of the 3 guard attack this would be my defensive strategy. I would use primarily straight M2M and mix in basic 2-1-2 or a 2-3 combination D. This line up with Drummond could become 1 of the top pressure defenses in America because it could be extended to a 2-2-1 full court press.

This would amount to reduced minutes for Olander, Daniels, Smith, Giffey ect ect…In this line up AO could be the most interchangeable piece with Olander, Smith and Daniels depending on productivity.

These are my thoughts. JMHO of course. Good luck to the Huskies today.

Disclosure: I am a huge Ryan Boatright fan and believe he is the key to another Final 4 run. Once properly assimilated into the team chemistry the sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
Here's hoping you and arayan are right about Ryan and he is a key contributor to this years team. I look forward to seeing him find his way and contribute.

Reaction Score
Here's hoping you and arayan are right about Ryan and he is a key contributor to this years team. I look forward to seeing him find his way and contribute.
At some point this team will click. I don't see any problems that can't be fixed. I'm looking forward to my trip to New Orleans. JMHO for what its worth. ;)

Reaction Score
We have found the winning ticket...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIJOK2dyV6g

The three (3) guard lineup will ultimately pay huge dividends. Today's #'s looked good other then the TO's.

Congrats to Boat on a great debut. I say UConn wins the next 11 headed into Tennessee. That would be a sweet 17-1. With Boatright we would have been undefeated. Bazz and Boat looked good. We will only get nastier from here.

JMHO....Best of health to all.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Being that Lamb has the length to be a borderline 3 as it is, this 3 guard lineup could be pretty efficient and effective.

Reaction Score
Being that Lamb has the length to be a borderline 3 as it is, this 3 guard lineup could be pretty efficient and effective.
Its going to be a lot of fun. This team has a new swagger and will only get better and better. As high as I have been on Boatright I knew he had to deliver in the clutch. He is a special player. It really is his intangibles that will be the most valuable asset to this team. FSU is a very good team as all the astute boneyarders know. This was a HUGE win. JMHO of course. GTLU...

Reaction Score
I would make the argument that UConn has the capability to put together one of the most confounding shell games in college basketball. A shell game that will lead to New Orleans and a chance to repeat as national champions. The second coming of Lethal Weapon Three. This tandem consisting of Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and Jeremy Lamb. The primary focus on distribution, defense and depth. The other 2 spots we can rotate. I would like to see Drummond and AO step into the other two spots at some point in the season based on performance. In my opinion a national championship run is more probable with these 5 players logging the most minutes and playing at the top of their game. This back court would be the most difficult to pressure in America. It won’t start off this way as Boatright will undoubtedly come off the bench in his return after missing 6 games. Before the three guard set is implemented from the start of games it should always be in effect to finish games with Drummond removed from the line up.

I believe this 3 guard set can average 48 ppg and 16 apg by the end of the year when implementing distribution, defense and depth. This threesome would be athletic and aggressive causing huge discrepancies at the foul line with our opponents.

What about defensively with Bazz and Boat together? I am a buyer of this tandem on the defensive end of the court despite the counter argument that they are to small to play together. Bazz has already proven to be a solid defender. He just needs to bring that intensity every minute of each game. Every player is going to have bad nights offensively. Great defenders never have off nights. Boat and Bazz both have tremendous speed and quickness. These 2 qualities are shortcomings for many players. The thing I like about both these players that lends itself to a solid defensive pair is both are aggressive minded athletes with the potential to always be on attack. ANYONE through hard work and attention to detail can learn to play great defense.

For Boat and Bazz to coexist together and be a dynamic duo on the defensive end as guards they simply need a few character traits:

Desire and Pride
Speed and Quickness
Adaptability and Anticipation
Aggressiveness

With Boat and Bazz at the guard position as part of the 3 guard attack this would be my defensive strategy. I would use primarily straight M2M and mix in basic 2-1-2 or a 2-3 combination D. This line up with Drummond could become 1 of the top pressure defenses in America because it could be extended to a 2-2-1 full court press.

This would amount to reduced minutes for Olander, Daniels, Smith, Giffey ect ect…In this line up AO could be the most interchangeable piece with Olander, Smith and Daniels depending on productivity.

These are my thoughts. JMHO of course. Good luck to the Huskies today.

Disclosure: I am a huge Ryan Boatright fan and believe he is the key to another Final 4 run. Once properly assimilated into the team chemistry the sky is the limit.

It seems like you had Calhoun strategy down before the game started. Excellent basketball knowledge.

Reaction Score
It seems like you had Calhoun strategy down before the game started. Excellent basketball knowledge.
Do you coach basketball? Do you have any thoughts on the overall landscape and dynamics as it applies to contenders for a national championship? We could use a coach around here...hahahahaha

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger