Thread for Tracking Nika Muhl's Club Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thread for Tracking Nika Muhl's Club Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@awhom111 you seem the most knowledgeable about these things & I realize this is a thread about Nika. Do you happen to know the distance of the 3PT line that Nika is currently shooting from and the distance that Anna was shooting from. Anna in preseason is not shooting the 3ball very well and I'm curious to know what kind of adjustment she might be having to make. FYI the NCAA three point line is 20 feet, 9 inches.

Reaction Score
@awhom111 you seem the most knowledgeable about these things & I realize this is a thread about Nika. Do you happen to know the distance of the 3PT line that Nika is currently shooting from and the distance that Anna was shooting from. Anna in preseason is not shooting the 3ball very well and I'm curious to know what kind of adjustment she might be having to make. FYI the NCAA three point line is 20 feet, 9 inches.
I think they use FIBA.

Reaction Score
I understand Muhl plays in a lower level league but does anyone say how her opposition compares with an average high school team here?

Average like one ranked between 5,000 and 6,000 or average like say a top 1,000 high school team here (there are a lot of high schools)?

Her competition varies greatly. The Croatian league is pretty weak with few teams being able to afford foreigners. Most teams are filled with unpaid kids with a few older players looking to impress so that they can sign better professional deals with teams in other countries so those teams are not any better than decent high school teams. In the Adriatic league, the top teams are all good professional teams with some of the worse teams being more at the glorified high school team level.

The FIBA line, which is the new Men's college basketball line so Anna can actually shoot from closer. She was in a slump for most of last club season so it might take her a little while to shoot her way out of it.

Reaction Score
Looks like Nika has been injured and not played the last few games. She did dress for today's game, but did not end up playing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Looks like Nika has been injured and not played the last few games. She did dress for today's game, but did not end up playing.

She has a thumb injury if you recall her signing week photo.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As a refresher for everyone, Nika's team is Tresnjevka, she's number 10, in Pink, ponytail, knee pads, tape on left wrist. She apparently has a younger sister Hana on this team as well, age 16, also a point guard. Noted on the attached stats that @awhom111 posted were 10 pts, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 7 turnovers and 4 personal fouls. Not the best of returns but at least she's back and playing.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. Nika's skills will be better because of the elevated competition, as Ania will be this year for UCONN.

Flashback: When my son was 15 and playing Babe Ruth Baseball, the presumptive All Star Team Manager for our League selected a number of players who would compete for the for the County All Star Team. Then during the League regular season, he got those players together to play vs 16 yr old and 17 yr old Teams on Sunday afternoons. He even entered the Team in an 8 team 17 yr old tournament. They were the youngest team in that tournament, and placed 2nd, losing by only one run in the Championship Game to a team of 18 yr olds that was allowed in the tournament only to fill the event to 8 teams. Then during the Post Season, my son's All Star Team went on to win the State Championship, the Mid-Atlantic Region Championship and came in 2nd in the Babe Ruth 15 yr old World Series.... largely due to the experience of playing against older (and presumably better) players/Teams. Sorry... trip down memory lane!!! :cool: ;)
The presumptive all-star team?

Reaction Score
The presumptive all-star team?
Maybe not the best choice of descriptor...but the All Star Coach... made the offer to the best 20 or so players in the league based on his observations and recommendations from the Coaches of the other 6 teams in the County League. He made up a team to compete against older competition. Then when the League Season ended, he picked the All Star Team from the players in the League... as you might expect, the 12 selected were from this group that played up. If that makes sense/???

Reaction Score
First domestic league game in a while:

Reaction Score
I think it's difficult to determine how any recruit will do at the next level and that goes double for international players....................Muhl is clearly athletic, an aggressive defender, a skilled ball handler and a fine passer who may or may not be able to shoot consistently from the outside..............the shooting part is going to make all the difference if she wants to start at UConn and move on to big time pro ball...........it should be an interesting journey...............looking forward to it

Reaction Score
I'm curious, the wiping of the heels with the hand? My memory of that started with Bird. Is that why players do it or is there another reason?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am starting to think that the closest UConn alumna to compare to Nika is Kelly Faris. Like Kelly, Nika seems to get the greatest satisfaction from sharp passing and assists, and also from steals and general hustle. Like Kelly, Nika may not take her own scoring seriously enough, and may have to be coached to work on getting and making her own shots.

The question is whether she can use her other skills to be as productive as a freshman as Kelly was. In Kelly's freshman year, her teammates included Tina, Maya, and Tiffany Hayes, so she didn't really have to score much to earn her minutes. Will the presence of Evina, Christyn, Megan, and Olivia (not to mention Paige) mean that Nika can get minutes next year without having to score very many points?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I believe the wiping of hands is not to remove anything from said hands....it is to add a little dirt/grit from their shoes to their hands so the hands are not slick or sweaty...and supposedly their grip on the ball will be better.
That sounds a tad counterintuitive but I think I have read that somewhere....including about Bird's reason.
At some point it may just be have a placebo effect on their minds.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe the wiping of hands is not to remove anything from said hands....it is to add a little dirt/grit from their shoes to their hands so the hands are not slick or sweaty...and supposedly their grip on the ball will be better.
That sounds a tad counterintuitive but I think I have read that somewhere....including about Bird's reason.
At some point it may just be have a placebo effect on their minds.
Larry Bird started the wiping of his hands while playing high school basketball at Spring Valley High School in French Lick, IN. He stated at one time that the gym was so hot because of the crowds during his Senior year that the only way he could keep his hands dry and be able to hold onto the ball was wipe his shoes off with hands. The gym only held around 2,700 people, but during his Senior year they averaged almost 5,000. One game during his Senior year he had 55 points, 38 rebounds, 18 assists and 11 blocks. He averaged 30+ points and 20+ rebounds a game his Senior year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The internet - never wrong right!? ... says it is to try to improve grip of the shoe.

Of course that does not exclude the hand grip angle per @MSGRET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul