thread for frivolous realignment schemes | The Boneyard

thread for frivolous realignment schemes

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
got any out there fantasies or realistic suggestions? just sort of interested in seeing where BYer heads are at in their ideal/slightly ideal/workable conference suggestions, both for us but for the NCAA in general

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
i'll start just for fun. a lot of these scenarios end up with the AAC as prime poaching ground, but what if it actually kind of turns things around? let's say for argument's sake RE/DH actually make UCONN pretty competitive by end of this decade. i would think this would have the unintended consequence of strengthening the AAC to be a conference that's actually not too bad for us (and this results in bigger revenues/better TV deal), but still mostly without regional rivals. maybe, instead of jumping overboard, we stay the course until the Big 12 blows up in the early 2020s. if that thing totally dissolves, my fantasy scenario envisions us picking up West Virginia as the big get and then Oklahoma St as an add on (creates regional thing with Tulsa). as lots of parts are moving around, Rutgers realizes they're tired of getting beat up financially and on the field and bails on the ACC in favor of the AAC. they need another team so they decide to convince UMass to join, rounding out a decent northeastern quartet of UConn/Temple/Rutgers/UMass with West Virginia also close by. that would leave the following revitalized AAC, now an actual P5-ish conference:

East Division
UConn
East Carolina
South Florida
Temple
UCF
Rutgers
UMass
West Virginia

West Division
Cincinnati
Oklahoma State
Memphis
Houston
Tulsa
SMU
Tulane
Navy (fb)/Wichita State (bb)

again, this is probably pie in the sky nonsense but that's what this thread is for

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was bored one day at work and did a "draft" where each league got to have four or five keepers depending on size and then everyone drafted until all 5 conferences got 16 teams. It was pointless, but pretty interesting how it ended up. The Big 12 ended up much better stealing the likes of Arkansas and LSU. I don't remember all the details, but most of the usual suspects for expansion got snatched up such as UConn, Cincy, Houston, UCF, etc.

Reaction Score
...Rutgers realizes they're tired of getting beat up financially and on the field and bails on the ACC in favor of the AAC.

Eh, Rutgers is in the B1G and will be getting its full share of revenues in several years. They are not moving anywhere.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Here is my crazy scenario: Big10 goes to 20 and splits into four five team "pods. The Big10 takes in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas from the Big12, Colorado from the Pac12 and UConn from the AAC. That leaves one Eastern school. Since I believe that the ACC is untouchable and there is a limited amount of quality NE or Mid Atlantic schools not in the ACC (Buffalo? No. UMass? LOL. Cinci? OSU would never allow it), my only conclusion is . . . WVU. I know in real life it would never happen, but this is a crazy CR scenario.

Pod A: Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, UConn, West Virginia
Pod B: Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU, Purdue
Pod C: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Pod D: Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas

The pods each form a ten team division that rotates each year and the two divisions will play in CCG.

Year 1

Pods A &B: Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, UConn, West Virginia, Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU, Purdue
Pods C & D: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas

Year 2

Pods A & C: Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, UConn, West Virginia, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Pods B & D: Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU, Purdue, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas

Year 3

Pods A & D: Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, UConn, West Virginia, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas
Pods B & C: Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

That's 9 conference games with no crossovers (the Big10 already has that). Each team gets to play every team at least every three years. It still keeps the two division requirement for a CCG (nothing says that the division have to be static from year to year).

Obviously, I would include some ACC if I thought they were remotely possible, but I don't think they will be by 2024, if ever. WVU is already a P5 program and has had success in the OBE. They fit the regional aspect of the pods and have past relationships with Rutgers and UConn. Obviously, Colorado is a stretch as well but to get back with Oklahoma and Nebraska would be huge.

Reaction Score
I like to call this conference the Little East. It has the potential for good football and basketball rivalries. As a bonus, travel could be by bus rather than plane which would save $$$.
Maine
New Hampshire
UMass
UConn
URI
CCSU
Buffalo
Stonebrook
Temple
Villanova
Delaware
Old Dominion

Reaction Score
It won't happen but AAC basketball could easily be turned into something that geographically resembles the old Big East. Add URI (replaces Providence), UMASS (replaces Boston College), Stony Brook (replaces St Johns), and Buffalo (replaces Syracuse). We already have Temple (replaces Nova) and Cincy (replaces Pitt). I know this idea will be mocked but UCONN has much more in common with these state schools than the old catholic schools.

Adding 4 basketball schools would put us back at 16 which worked great before.

Last edited:

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
It won't happen but AAC basketball could easily be turned into something that geographically resembles the old Big East. Add URI (replaces Providence), UMASS (replaces Boston College), Stony Brook (replaces St Johns), and Buffalo (replaces Syracuse). We already have Temple (replaces Nova) and Cincy (replaces Pitt). I know this idea will be mocked but UCONN has much more in common with these state schools than the old catholic schools.

Adding 4 basketball schools would put us back at 16 which worked great before.

They would probably need a football associate to cover Stony Brook - unless, of course, you could get them go to FBS, which would solve a whole world of problems. I was thinking about this in the other thread but, hell - you add UMass and a new Stony Brook to the American and that (along with Temple) would actually build something somewhat cohesive for us in the northeast

Last edited:

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
The DD-12 Conferencee (DP Dough 12 - all schools that have an in-town DPDough)

UConn
UAlbany
Penn State
Maryland
Ohio State
Bowling Green
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
Georgia

Reaction Score
Wesleyan
Amherst
Williams
Yale
UConn
UMass
Brown
Tufts
Harvard
Connecticut College
URI
Trinity

How's that?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
WEST
Cincy
Toledo
Ohio
CMU
WMU
NIU

EAST
UConn
UMass
Temple
Buffalo
Marshall
ODU

BB and Olympics: URI, VCU, Dayton, St. Louis

Cut a few of the western MAC schools out, and that may be our conference in 5 years.

Reaction Score
I was bored one day at work and did a "draft" where each league got to have four or five keepers depending on size and then everyone drafted until all 5 conferences got 16 teams. It was pointless, but pretty interesting how it ended up. The Big 12 ended up much better stealing the likes of Arkansas and LSU. I don't remember all the details, but most of the usual suspects for expansion got snatched up such as UConn, Cincy, Houston, UCF, etc.
Anyone get left out? Wake Forest types etc. ? BCU...Hopefully :p

Reaction Score
UConn
Central CT
New Haven
Coast Guard
Trinity
Stony Brook
Yale
Army
AIC
Brown
Wyoming
Alabama

What a nightmare.
Add College of Cardinals and give it last rites.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The frequent flyer conference:

Boston College
ECU
USF
Rice
San Diego State
Hawaii
Boise State
Eastern Michigan
Tulsa
Western Kentucky

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Geek Conference (could also be The Nerd Conference, but I’m partial to Geek )

BC
UConn
Maryland
UVA
VA Tech
Duke
UNC
Wake
Vandy
Georgia Tech

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The DD-12 Conferencee (DP Dough 12 - all schools that have an in-town DPDough)

UConn
UAlbany
Penn State
Maryland
Ohio State
Bowling Green
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
Georgia

Needs Cornell. Or promote Ithaca from D3.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I like to call this conference the Little East. It has the potential for good football and basketball rivalries. As a bonus, travel could be by bus rather than plane which would save $$$.
Maine
New Hampshire
UMass
UConn
URI
CCSU
Buffalo
Stonebrook
Temple
Villanova
Delaware
Old Dominion

As a Maine and UConn fan, this looks simultaneously like salvation and damnation.

Reaction Score
Thinking major realignment as the Mountain West gets poached by the PAC-12 and Big 12 during their expansion craze:

14 Team League
East:
UCF
USF
Temple
ECU
Navy
UConn
Villanova

West:
Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
SMU
Boise State
BYU
San Diego State

16 Team League
Add UMass, Buffalo, FAU, or Rhode Island to the East
Add Fresno State, New Mexico State, Texas State, or Air Force to the West

Anyone remember when Boise State, BYU, and TCU were going to come over to the AAC? That would have been so sweet...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom