Thoughts Oregon, season... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts Oregon, season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll say it one more time. Make all the excuses you want, this is a pattern that has gone on for years, if you haven't noticed it you're not paying attention.
Now that you said it one more time I understand. Thanks for clarifying. And I'm still looking for your complaints about this from 2014.

Reaction Score
By your logic, how did it get from 4-0 to 30-9 after he called a TO? Cause you know, TOs magically "stop runs", even when you're undermanned against a better team.

First off, if you are going to waste a time out after a "4-0 run" why in God's name would you not call a time out with a 26-9 run by Oregon?

You can defend him all you want. The pattern here is a young team with veterans who are under performing in the first 10 minutes who need guidance and need a coach to stop the other team's momentum with a time out. This is not a new concept. Good coaches and bad coaches have done this for decades.

Let me be clear. When the pattern is you get "blown out" in the first half of almost every game, why wouldn't you burn every blessed time out to stop a run and correct what the problem is?

Reaction Score
Now that you said it one more time I understand. Thanks for clarifying. And I'm still looking for your complaints about this from 2014.
I repeated myself because your response didn't make any sense. Either your reading comprehension isn't very good, or you're moving the goalposts on purpose.

1) You say that by my logic the TO at 4-0 was a good idea, simply because I said KO is bad at calling timeouts before we're down 20 points? Great spin there.

2) My point was that KO has been bad at calling TO's his entire career here. There are plenty of people here who have complained about this. I'm not the only one. Yes, I did have complaints about this in 2014 as did many others. So by your logic since we won a national championship that means it didn't happen throughout that year? Or that it's ok to suck at calling timeouts because we had a great three week run 3 years ago? Again great logic, and you didn't even address my actual point.

I'm not one of the people who comes on here and complains a lot, I'm a pretty positive fan. I'm not calling for KO's head. He has some weaknesses as a coach and calling timeouts is one of them and has been his entire tenure. Your lone arguements to refute that point were "we had a great 3 week run 3 years ago so that somehow means you're wrong" and "KO called a timeout at 4-0 which is exactly what you want." which is obviously a gross reinterpretation of my point which was that he shouldn't wait until we're down 20 points to call a TO.

If you have an arguement that actually refutes my point I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I repeated myself because your response didn't make any sense. Either your reading comprehension isn't very good, or you're moving the goalposts on purpose.

1) You say that by my logic the TO at 4-0 was a good idea, simply because I said KO is bad at calling timeouts before we're down 20 points? Great spin there.

2) My point was that KO has been bad at calling TO's his entire career here. There are plenty of people here who have complained about this. I'm not the only one. Yes, I did have complaints about this in 2014 as did many others. So by your logic since we won a national championship that means it didn't happen throughout that year? Or that it's ok to suck at calling timeouts because we had a great three week run 3 years ago? Again great logic, and you didn't even address my actual point.

I'm not one of the people who comes on here and complains a lot, I'm a pretty positive fan. I'm not calling for KO's head. He has some weaknesses as a coach and calling timeouts is one of them and has been his entire tenure. Your lone arguements to refute that point were "we had a great 3 week run 3 years ago so that somehow means you're wrong" and "KO called a timeout at 4-0 which is exactly what you want." which is obviously a gross reinterpretation of my point which was that he shouldn't wait until we're down 20 points to call a TO.

If you have an arguement that actually refutes my point I'm all ears.
Refute this: they got outscored 11-3 in the 3 mins after his first timeout and 7-2 in the 3 mins after the under 16 timeout yet you and others are all over him for not calling more. Maybe he should've called another but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have mattered and all the nitpicking about this is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Refute this: they got outscored 11-3 in the 3 mins after his first timeout and 7-2 in the 3 mins after the under 16 timeout yet you and others are all over him for not calling more. Maybe he should've called another but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have mattered and all the nitpicking about this is ridiculous.
In my original post I simply made the point that having one less timeout to work with this year doesn't excuse the pattern of being poor at calling timeouts throughout his coaching career (including this year, in my opinion). I never even addressed the specific timeout and set of plays you're talking about.

I'm not on here "all over Ollie." I made a point in one post that I don't think he is, or has been, very good at using timeouts. It's not the end of the world, there are plenty of things he is good at, but I certainly do feel that he needs to improve in that area.

I don't want to be a d@ck or come across as a jerk (probably too late). I made my point. The last word is yours, if we have different opinions so be it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Mau great post one of the best reads in quite sometime here.

I agree on the following:

- the Dos Equis commercial
- Brooks being a punk
- unlucky bs shooting by opposing teams. Oregon came into the game shooting 29% from 3 and the opened the game shooting 12-14.
- Durham to Rodney pass was a beauty
- right in with KO. I don't get the BY's fixation with putting the blame on KO for literally everything (must be a product of this election cycle)
- team is still fun to watch (with the occasional wtf moment)
- future is bright
- team never quits

Where I respectfully disagree:

- I don't think Rodney has played well. Love that the guy bleeds blue but very frustrated with his insistence that he is a 3 point assasin. He plays very well when attacking the rim and has been finishing his drives better this year but seems to just stick around the perimeter. Also with as strong as he is for a guard I would like to see him get more rebounds. I want to see more effort on him crashing the boards.
- I'm not as high on Vital and Jackson as you are (well not this year). They may turn out to be good when they are upperclassmen but sometimes I think they try and do too much on the offensive end, and ends up hurting the team more often then helping.
- I would be very surprised if this team ends up w/ less than 20 wins this season. I am very high on Jalen. Has a very impressive start to the season and I think he is only going to get better. He has a very special feel for the game and god given gifts with his wing span and athleticism. He is also a very crafty guard. A very unique combo for a guard.
Vital and Jackson are learning their limits.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes he stopped that incredible 4-0 run but sat on his ass as it went to 30-9. Good job.
You may be right about the TOs to some extent but not about him sitting on the bench
My season tickets are across from the bench at Gampel and at the Civic Center - TV doesn't show the whole story - KO is up and down as well as talking to his team
You think what you want and I see what I see

C

Chief00

Very good points! Coach Ollie was all over Steve Enoch after that foul and continued to teach him one on one at different points throughout the game. Amid a did play a very good game, he just struggles to get out to his man when they are 23 feet out and draining quick release jumpers, which limited his minutes.
The team looked engaged at the start and every player gave full effort throughout the game...I can't explain why the starts are so bad. But the team did show a lot of moxie to gent it back to a 6 point margin after being down >20 in the first half.
I love this team...no quitters here. They do need some depth at guard
The reason the starts are so bad is we lack mental focus and intensity. A lack of a sense of urgency when it's 0-0, rather than we try to avoid embarrassment when we get down 20. That's a leadership issue both with the coaches and players. I agree KO is engaged in defense but he needs to strategically figure out why we consistently leave the other team's best shooters wide up early in the game. To me that means the players are not paying attention to the scouting report or it's not being effectively communicated.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think a couple of good TOs and we are 5-0 this season.

Reaction Score
The bad starts, 15 point deficits, seem to snowball unbelievably, but when you break it down, you see very small things that turn into huge 6 or even 9 point swings. For instance, against Oregon and Okie St, the lack of solid ballhandling leads to steals. They open by attempting to run set plays, but the ballhandling and passes aren't crisp enough. The other team hits a few 3 in a row. Then to top it off, as a ball bounced high off the rim on a 3, and then falls into the basket, the ref calls a phantom foul underneath after the basket. Oregon gets the ball back. It's almost like a technical and it leads to a huge swing.

If I looked at that entire sequence and thought there was anything they could do differently, I'd blame defense. Rodney allowed an Oregon guard to drive right by him into the lane. Then there was the lack of closeouts on the perimeter. I think we can blame lack of preparedness for that.

But you can't blame the lack of ballhandling on pregame preparation, nor the inexplicable calls of the refs that lead to a 6 point swing.

Reaction Score
You may be right about the TOs to some extent but not about him sitting on the bench
My season tickets are across from the bench at Gampel and at the Civic Center - TV doesn't show the whole story - KO is up and down as well as talking to his team
You think what you want and I see what I see

Thank you! I hate it when people say this.

KO is an energetic coach! He literally is screaming directions at Enoch on defense the entire time he plays.

He's up and down, coaching, yelling whatever. I can hear him from the uppers in XL frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom