Thoughts on upcoming season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on upcoming season

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hey, maybe Geno can pull that proverbial "rabbit out of the hat", by bringing in a post from overseas at the 11th hour. :eek: Tomorrow is August 1st. Classes resume in 26 days. I'm still not throwing in the towel yet. You know Geno could be working as we speak on something on the D.L. I'm holding on until the bitter end. I'll throw it in the morning of the 26th if we don't hear anything by then. :)
Hope springs eternal. I eternally hope I’m wrong and you’re right, that Geno has a very tall rabbit he can pull out of his hat prior to the season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Until I learn otherwise I'm going with Westbrook playing this year. The Rabbits pulled from his cap are amazing. The future looked bleak in April then the heavens opened up and BLESSED we were. Aubry by all report is a jumping jack like Gabby, a Freshman sure, but a leaper who will be needed. Gabby as a frosh wasn't gabby of Sr year, but she was recovering from the previous year. I don't think Aubrey has that issue. Ania/Anna with her experience I have great expectations, ala Svetlana. Westbrook if she is 1/2 as excellent as all reports seem to say--WOW. With the core 4 plus 2 (I haven't give up on those 2 albeit history is against them) Geno has great bench and in game coaches. Talent and knowledge is extremely hard to defeat.

Geno indeed has more cards (an ace and maybe a joker) to play in the hand he's been dealt THIS season. Especially if Westbrook's waiver is approved. I also think Evina is too talented to come off the bench this year. She should be the 5th starter.

If so, Geno will have a fantastic (and experienced) 6th & 7th man coming off the bench without too much drop off. That was not the case last year. MilfordHusky said of Camara: "If she can give us 15 minutes, 5 points, and 5 rebounds on average, that would be a big help." I concur. That would be HUGE.

You said: "Geno is no fool, no novice, he's seen it all so he'll do what he has to do to get the most out of Olivia Nelson Ododa while giving her the rest she will need. She isn't the franchise but I don't like UC's chances without her, nor does Geno." I couldn't agree more.

I think the production UConn gets from the post will be key this year. We'll know for sure 5 games into the season. We pretty much know what we're going to get from the other four positions. Right now the 5 hole is still a BIG question mark. :confused:

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This year and next UConn will be a terrific unselfish, passing team with more great passers and ball handlers coming in the following season. Those attributes alone should get us to the FF because imo opponents defenses wont stop us. Alot of talk about Westbrook who is a talented player however Makurat imo is going to be a great addition too. Without Westbrook we could be a little short coming off the bench. That imo is where the problem could lye. Westbrook Adebayo and Makurat will be the keys. Griffin will see alot of action behind CW and CD. ONO will be fine. We have great guards and MW will do her thing. Its the 5th starter and next next two off the bench is where we need to make it happen.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hope there is still a grad transfer post they can sign.
There are no more grad transfers floating around. The only question for the Huskies is whether or not Evina’s transfer waiver is granted or not. So our team is our team.
Tomorrow is August 1st. Classes resume in 26 days.
Yea, school starts in about 3 1/2 weeks. There is not anyone else coming. We are what we are (or will be, depending on Westbrook). Be happy, we'll have a pretty good team this year with lots of new faces.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My starting 5 prediction evolved over the course of the spring:

Initially, I had Crystal, Meg, Christyn, Olivia, and Aubrey. I think Aubrey is that good.

Once we got Anna, I moved her in and Aubrey out, based on experience.

Once we got Evina--and assuming she is eligible--I moved her in and Anna out, based on experience and possibly talent.

Reaction Score

Initially, I had Crystal, Meg, Christyn, Olivia, and Aubrey. I think Aubrey is that good.

Once we got Evina--and assuming she is eligible--I moved her in and Anna out, based on experience and possibly talent.
Nice to have options, isn't it. Nice to see the opportunity to have quality players that you can move in and out. Nice to have players that can give other players a rest without losing a beat. Nice to have players that can start if there is an injury. Nice to have players who can provide strengths in match ups. Nice to have players who can do things that upset the other teams flow and consistency of play. Just plain nice.

All we need is a 7 foot talented young women to give ONO a rest. Sorry, could not resist interjecting that. LOL.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I see the chances of Evina getting a green light at 1 in 10. What is the hardship? A lot of Tenn fans will never forgive her for answering a reporter's question after their season ending loss?

Reaction Score
I agree with RockyM. Very little chance of a Waiver for Evina....but...you never know with the NCAA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I see the chances of Evina getting a green light at 1 in 10. What is the hardship? A lot of Tenn fans will never forgive her for answering a reporter's question after their season ending loss?
I don't know that "hardship" is the criterion. Evina's mother got into a well-publicized argument with an abusive fan. Evina was put on the spot by the person who interviewed her at the end of the season. Evina's coach got fired, and the new coach was not anyone with whom she had relationship. Of course, many NCAA decisions make no sense, but there are grounds for granting Evina a waiver.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know that "hardship" is the criterion. Evina's mother got into a well-publicized argument with an abusive fan. Evina was put on the spot by the person who interviewed her at the end of the season. Evina's coach got fired, and the new coach was not anyone with whom she had relationship. Of course, many NCAA decisions make no sense, but there are grounds for granting Evina a waiver.

"Hardship" has been used for a short hand reference to the waiver standard. With the tinkering in April:

"A request for immediate eligibility can now be granted if the transfer was due to “documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

"There is a lot of wiggle room in there for discussion. " Revamped NCAA waiver policy helps transfers play right away

If they want to the NCAA can grant her a waiver. I don't think they will want to. Why? Because it is UConn.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I will be using Peabody and Shermans Wayback Machine to watch the 18-19 UConn Huskies.
Where's Lou?
Peabody-and-Sherman.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Hardship" has been used for a short hand reference to the waiver standard. With the tinkering in April:

"A request for immediate eligibility can now be granted if the transfer was due to “documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

"There is a lot of wiggle room in there for discussion. " Revamped NCAA waiver policy helps transfers play right away

If they want to the NCAA can grant her a waiver. I don't think they will want to. Why? Because it is UConn.
Given the venom coming from the LV fans, Evina's health, safety, and well-being would have been jeopardized by staying in Knuttsville.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Who else has applied for a waiver and not gotten it?
Notre Dame has applied for a waiver once and received it (Shepard).

UConn has applied for a waiver once and is awaiting the NCAA decision (Westbrook). If the NCAA approves Westbrook's waiver (which I expect and see as fair), will posters here then include UConn (along with Notre Dame) when they complain about teams that receive favorable transfer treatment?

I think @Geew1992's point is valid. And Notre Dame is not the only team to receive a waiver, but you might think so by reading this board.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has applied for a waiver once and received it (Shepard).

UConn has applied for a waiver once and is awaiting the NCAA decision (Westbrook). If the NCAA approves Westbrook's waiver (which I expect and see as fair), will posters here then include UConn (along with Notre Dame) when they complain about teams that receive favorable transfer treatment?

I think @Geew1992's point is valid. And Notre Dame is not the only team to receive a waiver, but you might think so by reading this board.

No. We'll still believe Shepard received favorable treatment. If Westbrook's waiver is granted, which I do not expect, we'll have some idea why. In the case of Shepard, her parents said back in April that they have no idea why her waiver was granted. Jess herself said it was because they answered the questions honestly. Honesty seems like a pretty low bar.

Reaction Score
There was one game where Batouly was incredible. I'd like to know if she's healthy, and if she is, why doesn't she play more.

I don’t have an answer but I thought she played somewhere over the summer. If true, she maybe be healthy for the first time since her freshman year

Reaction Score
Given the venom coming from the LV fans, Evina's health, safety, and well-being would have been jeopardized by staying in Knuttsville.

I wouldn't be surprised if she received threats, especially after that post-game PC. There are some whose loyalty to Pat's memory borders on religious fanaticism. And Pat=Holly in their minds.

Reaction Score
No. We'll still believe Shepard received favorable treatment. If Westbrook's waiver is granted, which I do not expect, we'll have some idea why. In the case of Shepard, her parents said back in April that they have no idea why her waiver was granted. Jess herself said it was because they answered the questions honestly. Honesty seems like a pretty low bar.
The main factor in assuming Shepard got favorable treatment was her own initial statement as to why she was transferring. She stated that she was transferring because playing at ND was in her basketball futures best interests. Now that was being really honest. It could not be more clear than that. She was leaving for a better program period. I don't believe program upgrading was ever a valid excuse for a hardship transfer before. Nor should that ever be a valid excuse in the future. Had Shepard not made that initial statement I doubt there would have been as much of an uproar.

Reaction Score
Certainly looking forward to the upcoming season. More so than any other season that I can remember, it will be interesting to see how the lineup changes through the course of the season. I'll go out on a limb and say an undefeated season is not likely with the OOC schedule they have this season. I'll say somewhere near a 30-3 record and another trip to the F4. The most important aspect for me is hopefully seeing a sophomore leap for CW & Ono. The freshman will be freshman until about the end of January at which point I would hope to see vast improvement as the team ready's themselves for postseason play. Should be a fascinating journey through the 2019-2020 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom