Thoughts on upcoming season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on upcoming season

Reaction Score
Certainly looking forward to the upcoming season. More so than any other season that I can remember, it will be interesting to see how the lineup changes through the course of the season. I'll go out on a limb and say an undefeated season is not likely with the OOC schedule they have this season. I'll say somewhere near a 30-3 record and another trip to the F4. The most important aspect for me is hopefully seeing a sophomore leap for CW & Ono. The freshman will be freshman until about the end of January at which point I would hope to see vast improvement as the team ready's themselves for postseason play. Should be a fascinating journey through the 2019-2020 season.
30 - 3 season won't be bad...especially if they win THE LAST GAME... ;);):)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has applied for a waiver once and received it (Shepard).

UConn has applied for a waiver once and is awaiting the NCAA decision (Westbrook). If the NCAA approves Westbrook's waiver (which I expect and see as fair), will posters here then include UConn (along with Notre Dame) when they complain about teams that receive favorable transfer treatment?
Gladly. :D

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has applied for a waiver once and received it (Shepard).

UConn has applied for a waiver once and is awaiting the NCAA decision (Westbrook). If the NCAA approves Westbrook's waiver (which I expect and see as fair), will posters here then include UConn (along with Notre Dame) when they complain about teams that receive favorable transfer treatment?

I think @Geew1992's point is valid. And Notre Dame is not the only team to receive a waiver, but you might think so by reading this board.

No,never! UConn has been hosed by Mark Emmert and the NCAA more times that I can count! He has had an axe to grind with UConn ever since he left there. He mismanaged/stole from the UConn 2000 project, and was called out on it by the University and CT politicians. He then decided to stick it to UConn every time he could as head of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I think Te'a Cooper would have received a waiver if Tennessee did not object to it. You should expect the same with Westbrook. Especially since you guys are now playing each other.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I truly believe that if she has learned the system by the start of the season, it will be hard to keep Ania out of the starting lineup. UConn may set a team record for assists the next two seasons. If Westbrook is not granted a waiver, UConn still should be a very good team. I also believe that Batouly and the bench will make a big contribution this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Te'a Cooper would have received a waiver if Tennessee did not object to it. You should expect the same with Westbrook. Especially since you guys are now playing each other.

I truly believe that if she has learned the system by the start of the season, it will be hard to keep Ania out of the starting lineup. UConn may set a team record for assists the next two seasons. If Westbrook is not granted a waiver, UConn still should be a very good team. I also believe that Batouly and the bench will make a big contribution this season.

Like it or not, shiverz45 brings up a valid point. Westbrook's name is Mudd at Tennessee. After that NCAA tournament post game interview, when she answered a leading question put to her by a reporter that she should not have answered (and should have not been asked to a student athlete), she could no longer stay at Tennessee (nor did she want to).

If Tennessee has anything to say about whether or not her waiver request should be granted, she'll sit out the coming year. I'd be shocked (but pleasantly pleased) if her waiver is granted. She will be eligible to play when Uconn visits Tennessee in 20-21. You can imagine the reception she's going to receive that night from those in attendance. :oops: I expect Tennessee to lose their game against UConn THIS year, so they will want to even the series with a win at home next year. I think UConn wins that one too. Westbrook should have one of her best games of the season that night.

That being said, I agree with your take that Ania should be the 5th starter (if Westbrook sits out). Adebayo and Camara will be ONO's back up this year.

Tip in- I've read countless comments here about Adebayo and Camara backing up ONO this year. That means that without wondering or giving it a second thought, those posters assume that ONO will be promoted to a starter. I've expressed that same assumption since April. Why? ONO was the 6th man last year. Megan was the 6th man the year before that. There were two spots to fill in the starting rotation both years. Everyone assumed Megan was going to get one of them, she did.

This year, Geno needs two replacements in his starting lineup. His 6th man from the year before (ONO) should get one of them. Odds are Ania will get the other. Right now today (and for the season), Westbrook is ineligible unless the NCAA says otherwise. I think Adebayo can best help the team coming off the bench and backing up ONO and the forwards.

Adebayo will get plenty of playing time regardless. She'll probably wind up being Geno's "utility" player, backing up all 3 players in the front court. I could be wrong, and Geno starts Adebayo and ONO comes off the bench. One thing we do know. Two non-starters will begin to stand out once official practice begins, and separate themselves from the pack. We'll see who those two are. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom