Thoughts on upcoming season | The Boneyard

Thoughts on upcoming season

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This year will be a year to see where we are with our new additions to the roster and our freshman and sophs. This season and next season I expect to see alot of playtime for our underclassman getting them ready for the next few years. I think that because we are loaded with talent and will be for the next couple of seasons. ONO imo will begin to become a star. She will become a force. We have a terrific team full of speed and passers who can handle the ball. I am also hoping for commitments from Fudd and DeBerry. That will seal the deal for the next 4-5 years. Our roster is powerful. I go agree we could use another big but it doesnt look like it will happen this season. Im hoping for next season we land another big...DeBerry.

A few months ago we were concerned that we didnt have enough recruits and Geno was loosing his touch. Well looking at where we are now he hasnt. Like a magician he's pulled players out of his hat. Ive said it before the recruiting for UConn has been kept quiet. Many posters have speculated but nothing definite on who's coming. From the way things are panning out we are looking very good and with our entrance back into the Big East ... well I think we help to rebuild the BE, just like before and I would expect some other teams and this is only a hunch to join the BE because it will be a stronger conference over the next few seasons.

The most exciting thing about our recruiting is we have great recruits coming in this year and next and with Fudd and DeBerry probables a third year. Now what teams in WCBB can say that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ONO imo will begin to become a star. She will become a force.

Liv definitely looks like she put on muscle in the off season. That will help a lot. She was really coming on at the end of last season. We've come to anticipate big Soph jumps for UConn top recruits over the years. I don't think ONO will disappoint.

Of course that kid on the left is rising Soph as well. It's exciting to think what she'll be like if she makes a big jump as well.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Some key questions for this year.

1. Does EW get her waiver?
2. How long does it take Crystal Dangerfield and EW to recover from surgery?
3. Can Touly and Adebayo provide depth for ONO?
4. How quickly can the freshmen adapt to the ways of Geno?
5. Can Megan handle being a 4 at times by default?
6. Rebounding has been a question in previous years, will it again be one this year?

If they stay healthy, no matter what, this team will be fun to watch.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This year will be a year to see where we are with our new additions to the roster and our freshman and sophs. This season and next season I expect to see alot of playtime for our underclassman getting them ready for the next few years. I think that because we are loaded with talent and will be for the next couple of seasons. ONO imo will begin to become a star. She will become a force. We have a terrific team full of speed and passers who can handle the ball. I am also hoping for commitments from Fudd and DeBerry. That will seal the deal for the next 4-5 years. Our roster is powerful. I go agree we could use another big but it doesnt look like it will happen this season. Im hoping for next season we land another big...DeBerry.

A few months ago we were concerned that we didnt have enough recruits and Geno was loosing his touch. Well looking at where we are now he hasnt. Like a magician he's pulled players out of his hat. Ive said it before the recruiting for UConn has been kept quiet. Many posters have speculated but nothing definite on who's coming. From the way things are panning out we are looking very good and with our entrance back into the Big East ... well I think we help to rebuild the BE, just like before and I would expect some other teams and this is only a hunch to join the BE because it will be a stronger conference over the next few seasons.

The most exciting thing about our recruiting is we have great recruits coming in this year and next and with Fudd and DeBerry probables a third year. Now what teams in WCBB can say that?

The NBE just got a lot more attractive with UConn rejoining the conference. The first thing Butler women’s basketball coach Kurt Godlevske thought when he heard UConn was coming back to the Big East was how great it would be to have the Huskies play at storied Hinkle Fieldhouse, where the movie Hoosiers was filmed.

“The second thing was: ‘Oh my gosh, we’ve got to get better,’” said Godlevske, whose team went 23-10 last year. “I think it will really raise the bar in our league and raise the recruiting level for all of us. “And I think attendance will be a huge thing. It will be a great experience for the girls to play in front of a large crowd.”

Attendance, recruiting and a better strength of schedule were what Big East coaches pointed to as bonuses in UConn’s return to the conference. “I’m really excited about UConn coming back into the Big East,” DePaul coach Doug Bruno said. “We’re a strong league. But UConn makes it even stronger.

How will UConn’s move to the Big East affect its athletic department finances? It’s complicated.

It will be interesting to see who (and when) the first school will be to petition the NBE to become a member. I don't expect to see a P-5 member school defect and lose out on the steady stream of revenue they receive from that "golden goose". Maybe a top tier program from a "mid-major" conference in the Northeastern part of the country.

The NBE is not a P5 conference, but with UConn returning to the fold, it's the next best thing.
If you're an up and coming program, and getting into a P5 conference is a bridge too far, then the NBE is the next best thing. With UConn being a perennial national powerhouse, it demands and gets a national spotlight each and every year with many of its games on national TV. Exposure every women's D-1 basketball team craves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NBE just got a whole more attractive with UConn rejoining the conference. It will be interesting to see who (and when) the first school will be to petition the NBE to become a member. I don't expect to see a P-5 member school defect and lose out on the steady stream of revenue they receive from that "golden goose". Maybe a top program from a "mid-major" conference in the Northeastern part of the country.
My thoughts are Dayton, St. Louis, maybe St. Joes or VCU. All have strong men's bball programs, locations are good, Not footballcentric

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My thoughts are Dayton, St. Louis, maybe St. Joes or VCU. All have strong men's bball programs, locations are good, Not footballcentric
How about ND. :rolleyes: Catholic school fits in with the general makeup of the NBE. Football plays as an independent and still brings in a boatload of money as an independent.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How about ND. :rolleyes: Catholic school fits in with the general makeup of the NBE. Football plays as an independent and still brings in a boatload of money as an independent.

Reaction Score

Why would they leave a power 5 conference and huge ACC tv payouts to join the NBE?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why would they leave a power 5 conference and huge ACC tv payouts to join the NBE?
Please note the emoji :rolleyes:. My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.

Reaction Score
Why would they [ND] leave a power 5 conference and huge ACC tv payouts to join the NBE?
They aren't in the ACC for football because their own private football income is much bigger than an ACC payout would be.

For 2016-17 the ACC average payout to their 14 full-time members was $26.6 million (4th among the P5 conferences). Notre Dame's football operating profit was $89.6 million (5th after Texas, Alabama, Tennessee and Michigan, but double those schools' profit per student, since ND only has 8400 students.). The revenue side of ND's profit number did include $5.6 million in ACC revenue sharing payments.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Getting back to the topic of the upcoming season, I'm excited and optimistic. As usual, there are questions (even the great teams had questions in the pre-season). How those questions are answered will reflect on how our season goes. Some key questions:

1. Will Evina be cleared to play this season? With her, we are in the mix at the top with Oregon and Baylor. Without her, we are a notch lower.

2. How will Crystal recover from surgery? If healthy, Crystal will be a top 15 player for sure and possibly a top 5 player.

3. What can Batouly give us? Her production has been very limited at UConn, but she was very effective playing for her home nation this summer. If she can give us 15 minutes, 5 points, and 5 rebounds on average, that would be a big help.

4. What can Evelyn contribute? UConn is a higher level of ball than she has ever played. But she has size, strength, and skill, importantly at a position where we are limited. She averaged a double-double. Not many players do that.

5. Will Megan make another leap? She has gotten lighter, leaner, and quicker. Geno thinks she can be as good as anyone. She was the #1 recruit for a reason. If she had made more layups last year, I would have called her season "excellent." I think she can be excellent this year. Meg knows she doesn't have Lou and Phee around to defer to. When Meg feels a sense of urgency, she played really hard. She took over the Virginia championship game in the last 10 minutes or so.

6. How good will Christyn be? I think she can be as good as anyone not named Ionescu. Like Meg, she was the #1 recruit, but she was not a typical #1 recruit. She has enormous talent, especially on the offensive end. Look for more drives to the basket and pull-up jumpers.

7. How much will Olivia improve? I expect that she will still be a bit raw, but she looked very tall, long,and a little stronger, plus she shot FTs at 80%, in the 3x3 tourney. She played with 3 really good players. I think it may take 2 years for her to peak, but she will be solid this year. She needs to avoid foul trouble. Hit the weight room with Crystal!

8. What should we expect from the true freshmen, Aubrey and Ania? Aubrey has good genes and is accustomed to an uptempo game. She is long, lean, fast, and athletic. She reminds me of Diamond, though not quite that good. She'll be a good fit for Geno's transition offense. Ania is 19 years old and has played with pros for 2 seasons. She also emulates Taurasi. She will also be a major contributor. Both Aubrey and Ania have good size and length, which will help on the boards and in the passing lanes.

9. What will Kyla and Molly contribute? Based on 3 years of watching them, I see limited impact on the court. Kyla is smart and has skills, but is a step slow at the UConn level. Molly is more athletic, but needs to find more confidence. I expect them to be leaders off the court and maintain their roles as great teammates.

I think we could lose 2-3 games this year. Baylor and Oregon are the toughest opponents, but both those games are in Connecticut. I expect that we will continue our AAC unbeaten streak. The addition of Ania, Evina, and Evelyn since last season will really help. I think Aubrey will help as well. The key returners, Crystal, Megan, Christyn, and Olivia will all be better. My fingers are crossed that Evina will be eligible. If so, I see her as the 5th starter, along with Liv, Meg, Crystal, and Christyn. If that's the lineup, the HG rankings will be 5, 1, 3, 1, and 2. Lots of talent!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They still need another post player if they want to get to a final 4 or better. ONO has to stay out of foul trouble and play 35 minutes a game to have a chance.
So are you saying that UConn will not make it back to their 13th straight FF, or that they will only make it back to the FF if Liv plays 35 mpg and stays out of foul trouble?

Reaction Score
So are you saying that UConn will not make it back to their 13th straight FF, or that they will only make it back to the FF if Liv plays 35 mpg and stays out of foul trouble?

They will need ONO to play 35 mpg to have a chance at a final four. I do not see anyone else that can cover a decent center and their zone is mediocre.

I hope there is still a grad transfer post they can sign.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They will need ONO to play 35 mpg to have a chance at a final four. I do not see anyone else that can cover a decent center and their zone is mediocre.

There are no more grad transfers floating around. The only question for the Huskies is whether or not Evina’s transfer waiver is granted or not. So our team is our team.

While I agree that it’s important for Liv to play well, I wouldn’t put a 35 mpg requirement on her, which is somewhat arbitrary. I would also never underestimate Geno’s ability to make whatever adjustments are required to get UConn back to the promised land.

This past season you might think that UConn would not have made it to the FF with Lou missing 2 games, playing a subpar game in the 3rd game against a tough UCLA team, then sitting for 8 minutes with foul trouble in the Elite 8 game vs #1 seed Louisville.

UConn finds a way.

Reaction Score

@Tonyc---no way o-shea did you think Geno was losing his touch!!! That's just not YOU.
I agree with part of what you say: ONO/Olivia/live/ OliviaNelsonOdoda will be a FORCE starting this year. Too I think the first part of the season may be rocky (no Not @RockyMTblue2 ). I too think there is plenty of Talent including the "4" and additions: Ania/Anna, Aubrey, Westbrook,Touly, Evelyn, Irwin, Molly . I believe the last 2 have much experience and knowledge and understanding of the Geno "systems" to be a huge assest to the new guys. Let us not throw out the babies with the bath water. Saying all that; this will be a fun and productive season. Another NC is potentially possible I think the Elite 8 is a given. The 6 (4 plus 2) know what it takes to get to the FF/NC that alone is important in getting there. Nice posting @Tonyc

Reaction Score
There are no more grad transfers floating around. The only question for the Huskies is whether or not Evina’s transfer waiver is granted or not. So our team is our team.

While I agree that it’s important for Liv to play well, I wouldn’t put a 35 mpg requirement on her, which is somewhat arbitrary. I would also never underestimate Geno’s ability to make whatever adjustments are required to get UConn back to the promised land.

This past season you might think that UConn would not have made it to the FF with Lou missing 2 games, playing a subpar game in the 3rd game against a tough UCLA team, then sitting for 8 minutes with foul trouble in the Elite 8 game vs #1 seed Louisville.

UConn finds a way.
Until I learn otherwise I'm going with WestBrook playing this year. The Rabbits pulled from his cap are amazing. The future looked bleak in April then the heavens opened up and BLESSED we were. Aubry by all report is a jumping jack like Gabby, a Freshman sure, but a leaper who will be needed. Gabby as a frosh wasn't gabby of Sr year, but she was recovering from the previous year. I don't think Aubrey has that issue. Ania/Anna with her experience I have great expectations, ala Svetlana. Westbrook if she is 1/2 as excellent as all reports seem to say--WOW.
With the core 4 plus 2 (I haven't give up on those 2 albeit history is against them) Geno has great bench and in game coaches. Talent and knowledge is extremely hard to defeat.

Reaction Score

Geno has historically had players in the best physical condition who are trained to run 60 minutes. I agree Bigs like ONO don't usually handle that kind of game well. But there will be no need for her to go long time in big games, lesser games she won't be needed. Griffin with her proven jumping and rebounding along with Evelyn and maybe Touly, throw in Irwin maybe ONO will not have to play more than 25 minutes or less in bigger game--certainly not in most AAC games. Geno is no fool, no novice, he's seen it all so he'll do what he has to do to get the most out of Olivia Nelson Ododa while giving her the rest she will need. She isn't the franchise but I don't like UC's chances without her, nor does Geno.
I've given a guarantee--Uconn will get to the FF. Why? Geno is the most experienced coach at FF's/NC's he knows the strings to pull to get there. Fans and Enemies forget Geno see's what you see, know all you know plus 30 plus years of seeing understands what it takes to lose and WIn. Why do we second guess him so? Because that's what fans do. Believe in Geno, this spring we learned WHY we should!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Getting back to the topic of the upcoming season, I'm excited and optimistic. As usual, there are questions (even the great teams had questions in the pre-season). How those questions are answered will reflect on how our season goes. Some key questions:

1. Will Evina be cleared to play this season? With her, we are in the mix at the top with Oregon and Baylor. Without her, we are a notch lower.

2. How will Crystal recover from surgery? If healthy, Crystal will be a top 15 player for sure and possibly a top 5 player.

3. What can Batouly give us? Her production has been very limited at UConn, but she was very effective playing for her home nation this summer. If she can give us 15 minutes, 5 points, and 5 rebounds on average, that would be a big help.

4. What can Evelyn contribute? UConn is a higher level of ball than she has ever played. But she has size, strength, and skill, importantly at a position where we are limited. She averaged a double-double. Not many players do that.

5. Will Megan make another leap? She has gotten lighter, leaner, and quicker. Geno thinks she can be as good as anyone. She was the #1 recruit for a reason. If she had made more layups last year, I would have called her season "excellent." I think she can be excellent this year. Meg knows she doesn't have Lou and Phee around to defer to. When Meg feels a sense of urgency, she played really hard. She took over the Virginia championship game in the last 10 minutes or so.

6. How good will Christyn be? I think she can be as good as anyone not named Ionescu. Like Meg, she was the #1 recruit, but she was not a typical #1 recruit. She has enormous talent, especially on the offensive end. Look for more drives to the basket and pull-up jumpers.

7. How much will Olivia improve? I expect that she will still be a bit raw, but she looked very tall, long,and a little stronger, plus she shot FTs at 80%, in the 3x3 tourney. She played with 3 really good players. I think it may take 2 years for her to peak, but she will be solid this year. She needs to avoid foul trouble. Hit the weight room with Crystal!

8. What should we expect from the true freshmen, Aubrey and Ania? Aubrey has good genes and is accustomed to an uptempo game. She is long, lean, fast, and athletic. She reminds me of Diamond, though not quite that good. She'll be a good fit for Geno's transition offense. Ania is 19 years old and has played with pros for 2 seasons. She also emulates Taurasi. She will also be a major contributor. Both Aubrey and Ania have good size and length, which will help on the boards and in the passing lanes.

9. What will Kyla and Molly contribute? Based on 3 years of watching them, I see limited impact on the court. Kyla is smart and has skills, but is a step slow at the UConn level. Molly is more athletic, but needs to find more confidence. I expect them to be leaders off the court and maintain their roles as great teammates.

I think we could lose 2-3 games this year. Baylor and Oregon are the toughest opponents, but both those games are in Connecticut. I expect that we will continue our AAC unbeaten streak. The addition of Ania, Evina, and Evelyn since last season will really help. I think Aubrey will help as well. The key returners, Crystal, Megan, Christyn, and Olivia will all be better. My fingers are crossed that Evina will be eligible. If so, I see her as the 5th starter, along with Liv, Meg, Crystal, and Christyn. If that's the lineup, the HG rankings will be 5, 1, 3, 1, and 2. Lots of talent!
Good analysis, but as you analyze so does Geno he'll work on the weakness at least how to hide them.
5,6,7,8 Good stuff.
Will ONO be ready? The end of last season we saw her coming into her own with a bit of Geno not trusting her not to foul--if the trust was there, maybe, maybe (who knows) it may have been a ND loss. this ONO is highly intelligent, wants to learn and will learn.
Christyn Williams with a superb summer behind her will be all I hyped last fall. She has a lot of DT in her. With the ball in her hands there is no better. She showed she can take over games, and will.
Megan--terrifically tough kid. Mentally and physically. She had a crappy frosh year to prove her mentality is exceptional. He Soph year showed she belonged with the top players. She scores well rebounds well and defended players 6 or so inches taller than she. No Question about megan she's a Div 1 first team All American. Danger, Good question!! how well is she recovered? If fully, the world is Uconn oyster or gold trophy.
The questions about the new guys is valid. Valid on Touly, Evelyn. Think the question marks around Griffin and Ania/Anna after a few early season games will go away. Ania is tough mentally she is a proven pro--playing beyond her years. Look at KIA she wasn't a pro but very near one as she began her frosh year and started for 4 years--expect no less from Ania.
Irwin/Bent are talented, experienced, and knowledgable of Geno's system--CONFIDENCE is the factor. Some kids see the end and decide I MUST now do it or lose the opportunity. I love them both for sticking it out--and reading all the bad words from me and others--I hope they can suck up doubts and go for the gold.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UConn finds a way.

Hey, maybe Geno can pull that proverbial "rabbit out of the hat", by bringing in a post from overseas at the 11th hour. :eek: Tomorrow is August 1st. Classes resume in 26 days. I'm still not throwing in the towel yet. You know Geno could be working as we speak on something on the D.L.

Don’t forget that while the staff was working out the details with Adebayo and Makurat, nothing was leaked. We didn’t find out about them joining the team until the details were completed, and a public announcement was released. They could be working on bringing in one more player for the coming season.

I'm holding on until the bitter end. I'll throw it in the morning of the 26th if we don't hear anything by then. :) That being said, if no one else is brought in this year, I happy and extremely confident that this roster as presently constituted can be very successful during the regular season, and go deep into the tournament in March.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom