Thoughts on this great win: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on this great win:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
First of all what a win, these kids are resilient just when you say "oh boy here we go", they're making plays to get back in it. Only this time they finished it.

Okay:

Akok - 39 minutes need more that 4/6/2 but he's learning and will do just that next year. Even in the next 7-17 games he may pop up with a stats sheet filler.

Carlton - Weird game for him but a warrior effort. 5/10 isn't great but a couple huge boards in traffic down the stretch. Once again missed a couple of easy finished but you know what the big white dude gets away with murder. The kid had 1 or 2 fouls and instead he should be fouling out. The one lefty finish Josh missed he got bumped hard by the kid no call. His fist 3 possessions 2nd half were atrocious with 2 TO's and a bobbled pass but he came back to be a contributor late especially a put back and rebound even later in which Cincy should've fouled him but didn't when they had the chance.

Vital - What can you say when he starts out hot like he was from 3 almost expected a 30 pt night but he's still struggling a little. But his toughness showed on both ends especially guarding either Cumberland. It was a typical Vital with some "wtfs" but mostly positive as he finds a way. Huge weak side rebound and put back and what can you say about the regulation and OT ending D, effort plus! He was straight up on D the last one only contact was Cumberland leaning forward to draw a foul, nice job CV.

Bouk - Wow we need a little more in the first half as his pattern seem to be a little Shabazz-like of the great 2nd half. He does stuff that is so exciting for now as well as the future. His steal and hesitation first half only to finish opposite rim from the shot blockers was special as hell. And there was more, a pleasure to watch. A couple of times he had a chance to reach or body a break away and held back from fouling, I like that beginning to understand we need minutes from him. Special player once we can ride sooner too, maybe now?

Adams - His 2 threes at 28-18 Cincy were monstrous. Could have lost them early. One of his best offensive moves was form the camera side to the middle and a great stop and pop from just inside the FT line, love that would like to see more. Plays hard, missing those 2 FTs hurt and they hit a 3 I believe I'm thinking "uh oh". Solid game though 16 off the bench is great hope to see him gain confidence form this one and be more consistent. Huge though, get to have a guy like that as the 7th, 8th isn't it?

Wilson - not sure what happened? Was the knee bothering him? Only 2 minutes not much to say expect I hope he gets healthy need him.

Gaffney and Gilbert - I will say this to start, thought Hurley made a great decision pretty much staying with the other 3 for the last 5-10 minutes of regulation and OT. While neither played awful I think we were tougher with the lineup that pulled it out. A couple bad decisions by each but again nothing bad overall just not the impact of the other in this game, glad Danny didn't feel he needed to get them in again, well coached.

Whaley - I mean not a double-double but the guy is playing well. Blocking shots is becoming a thing for him and big ones too. Solid minutes again love his impact these last 6-7 games and the confidence is now there.

Refs - once again awful but fair. They missed a couple big ones but hey we won, what can you say. But the 3 "jump ball" calls in a row told you on 2 of 3 they were,'t sure what to call. The 2.7 seconds OOB's should NOT have been reversed no proof that Bouk was the last to touch never mind even touched, it seems like the Cincy guys forearm kept the ball going that direction not Bouk. But hey, they were great LOL.

Favorite Play in the game - alright it's really not a play but I got a kick out of it anyway. If you didn't see this you need to go back and watch the play I just finished talking about in which they reversed the call with 2.7 seconds left. In real time the ball goes OOB's, all eyes on the ref making the call he takes his time to point the other way to UConn. Bouk, who was pointing the other way, walked over and hugged the ref after he called it Husky ball. Honestly it was beautiful check it out, he actually hugged him 2 hands around him and a hug, fn hilarious!

GREAT win, happy to leave that taste in their mouth. Would love to have them on the regular season schedule though it's a dogfight.
I saw that hug....lol..While I was laughing I was waiting tor the "T".

Reaction Score
Wilson - not sure what happened? Was the knee bothering him? Only 2 minutes not much to say expect I hope he gets healthy need him.
There were people calling for him to start yesterday, but it was clear he wasn't ready. First defensive possession he played, his guy knocked down a 3 and Sid didn't even get a hand up. We have seen how Sid can really produce when given the opportunity to get into the flow of the game. We may not see that from him until he's at or very close to 100%. Thankfully we had lots of other guys step up yesterday

Reaction Score
There were people calling for him to start yesterday, but it was clear he wasn't ready. First defensive possession he played, his guy knocked down a 3 and Sid didn't even get a hand up. We have seen how Sid can really produce when given the opportunity to get into the flow of the game. We may not see that from him until he's at or very close to 100%. Thankfully we had lots of other guys step up yesterday

Start andy? Who? Man he hasn't done enough at all to be given that honor but he was beginning to climb the minutes start before this injury it's too bad. Let's get him at 100% he will help.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I posted this on the vital thread a little while ago but I’ll say it again : don’t let us beat SMU on Wednesday because XL will be rocking Sunday for the Memphis game over the holiday weekend - we beat smu wednesday , we ll will be favored to win pretty much all our remaining games - running the table is not as crazy as it sounds !!! I know we’re still a long ways away but it’s fun to actually think and hope it’s a possibility!!!!
We’re doomed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I saw that hug....lol..While I was laughing I was waiting tor the "T".

Yeah, I saw it live and was hoping that they weren't going to T him up. I think he just wanted a win so badly and was thankful.

Reaction Score
First of all what a win, these kids are resilient just when you say "oh boy here we go", they're making plays to get back in it. Only this time they finished it.

Okay:

Akok - 39 minutes need more that 4/6/2 but he's learning and will do just that next year. Even in the next 7-17 games he may pop up with a stats sheet filler.

Carlton - Weird game for him but a warrior effort. 5/10 isn't great but a couple huge boards in traffic down the stretch. Once again missed a couple of easy finished but you know what the big white dude gets away with murder. The kid had 1 or 2 fouls and instead he should be fouling out. The one lefty finish Josh missed he got bumped hard by the kid no call. His fist 3 possessions 2nd half were atrocious with 2 TO's and a bobbled pass but he came back to be a contributor late especially a put back and rebound even later in which Cincy should've fouled him but didn't when they had the chance.

Vital - What can you say when he starts out hot like he was from 3 almost expected a 30 pt night but he's still struggling a little. But his toughness showed on both ends especially guarding either Cumberland. It was a typical Vital with some "wtfs" but mostly positive as he finds a way. Huge weak side rebound and put back and what can you say about the regulation and OT ending D, effort plus! He was straight up on D the last one only contact was Cumberland leaning forward to draw a foul, nice job CV.

Bouk - Wow we need a little more in the first half as his pattern seem to be a little Shabazz-like of the great 2nd half. He does stuff that is so exciting for now as well as the future. His steal and hesitation first half only to finish opposite rim from the shot blockers was special as hell. And there was more, a pleasure to watch. A couple of times he had a chance to reach or body a break away and held back from fouling, I like that beginning to understand we need minutes from him. Special player once we can ride sooner too, maybe now?

Adams - His 2 threes at 28-18 Cincy were monstrous. Could have lost them early. One of his best offensive moves was form the camera side to the middle and a great stop and pop from just inside the FT line, love that would like to see more. Plays hard, missing those 2 FTs hurt and they hit a 3 I believe I'm thinking "uh oh". Solid game though 16 off the bench is great hope to see him gain confidence form this one and be more consistent. Huge though, get to have a guy like that as the 7th, 8th isn't it?

Gaffney and Gilbert - I will say this to start, thought Hurley made a great decision pretty much staying with the other 3 for the last 5-10 minutes of regulation and OT. While neither played awful I think we were tougher with the lineup that pulled it out. A couple bad decisions by each but again nothing bad overall just not the impact of the other in this game, glad Danny didn't feel he needed to get them in again, well coached.

Whaley - I mean not a double-double but the guy is playing well. Blocking shots is becoming a thing for him and big ones too. Solid minutes again love his impact these last 6-7 games and the confidence is now there.

Refs - once again awful but fair. They missed a couple big ones but hey we won, what can you say. But the 3 "jump ball" calls in a row told you on 2 of 3 they were,'t sure what to call. The 2.7 seconds OOB's should NOT have been reversed no proof that Bouk was the last to touch never mind even touched, it seems like the Cincy guys forearm kept the ball going that direction not Bouk. But hey, they were great LOL.

Favorite Play in the game - alright it's really not a play but I got a kick out of it anyway. If you didn't see this you need to go back and watch the play I just finished talking about in which they reversed the call with 2.7 seconds left. In real time the ball goes OOB's, all eyes on the ref making the call he takes his time to point the other way to UConn. Bouk, who was pointing the other way, walked over and hugged the ref after he called it Husky ball. Honestly it was beautiful check it out, he actually hugged him 2 hands around him and a hug, fn hilarious!

GREAT win, happy to leave that taste in their mouth. Would love to have them on the regular season schedule though it's a dogfight.
Well summarized here with due respect to all the players. Back to back games of beating the conference leader.
It's amazing how we've not only won the game.....but were the better team and frustrating the opponent with a pace that suits us best.
Sure there are lapses, but the good is now out weighing the bad. The defensive rebounds seem to find a husky coming out of the pack on the go.....opponents need to respect that.

Reaction Score
Well summarized here with due respect to all the players. Back to back games of beating the conference leader.
It's amazing how we've not only won the game.....but were the better team and frustrating the opponent with a pace that suits us best.
Sure there are lapses, but the good is now out weighing the bad. The defensive rebounds seem to find a husky coming out of the pack on the go.....opponents need to respect that.

We outrebounded Cincy yesterday. Not enough attention paid to that. You don't outrebound a Cincy team without playing strong and working your tails off.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes, Akok’s man beat him down court twice in the first half for hoops, which surprised me. On the offensive end he’s just overthinking. When the shots there early in the shot clock, he needs to drill it.
The one area that I am concerned about with not only Akok but with Bouk, Gaff and Adams - all their man on D is very weak. Akok gives his opponent way too much space instead of closing in he backs off and leaves it open for a quick pull-up jumper of a undeterred dish off. The other three jump at most any ball fake and play D with their arms rather than their feet.
Much can be attributed to the fact that most young guys play very little D in High School/AAU but they have all played enough at this level to be a bit more advanced. I am sure that this will improve down the road but could be an Achilles heel against a team made up of upper class/older players this remaining season.
This team has gained a much needed influx of mojo and seem to have a lightness to their step. Let's hope this continues and CV and AG get a taste of success this season.

Reaction Score

Okay:

I really enjoyed this win. Seeing Bouknight blossom is great and I'm so happy for Adams and Whaley. Whaley looks like a completely different player this year. Great team win for the coaches and players.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what is really going on with Akok? I've read, "banged up," "freshman slump," but he has been really off as of late. Letting his man beat him down court, getting scored over multiple times, etc. Something is wrong. Think he has a big upside. Hurley has been great at keeping internal stuff internal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom