Thoughts on this great win: | The Boneyard

Thoughts on this great win:

Reaction Score
First of all what a win, these kids are resilient just when you say "oh boy here we go", they're making plays to get back in it. Only this time they finished it.

Okay:

Akok - 39 minutes need more that 4/6/2 but he's learning and will do just that next year. Even in the next 7-17 games he may pop up with a stats sheet filler.

Carlton - Weird game for him but a warrior effort. 5/10 isn't great but a couple huge boards in traffic down the stretch. Once again missed a couple of easy finished but you know what the big white dude gets away with murder. The kid had 1 or 2 fouls and instead he should be fouling out. The one lefty finish Josh missed he got bumped hard by the kid no call. His fist 3 possessions 2nd half were atrocious with 2 TO's and a bobbled pass but he came back to be a contributor late especially a put back and rebound even later in which Cincy should've fouled him but didn't when they had the chance.

Vital - What can you say when he starts out hot like he was from 3 almost expected a 30 pt night but he's still struggling a little. But his toughness showed on both ends especially guarding either Cumberland. It was a typical Vital with some "wtfs" but mostly positive as he finds a way. Huge weak side rebound and put back and what can you say about the regulation and OT ending D, effort plus! He was straight up on D the last one only contact was Cumberland leaning forward to draw a foul, nice job CV.

Bouk - Wow we need a little more in the first half as his pattern seem to be a little Shabazz-like of the great 2nd half. He does stuff that is so exciting for now as well as the future. His steal and hesitation first half only to finish opposite rim from the shot blockers was special as hell. And there was more, a pleasure to watch. A couple of times he had a chance to reach or body a break away and held back from fouling, I like that beginning to understand we need minutes from him. Special player once we can ride sooner too, maybe now?

Adams - His 2 threes at 28-18 Cincy were monstrous. Could have lost them early. One of his best offensive moves was form the camera side to the middle and a great stop and pop from just inside the FT line, love that would like to see more. Plays hard, missing those 2 FTs hurt and they hit a 3 I believe I'm thinking "uh oh". Solid game though 16 off the bench is great hope to see him gain confidence form this one and be more consistent. Huge though, get to have a guy like that as the 7th, 8th isn't it?

Wilson - not sure what happened? Was the knee bothering him? Only 2 minutes not much to say expect I hope he gets healthy need him.

Gaffney and Gilbert - I will say this to start, thought Hurley made a great decision pretty much staying with the other 3 for the last 5-10 minutes of regulation and OT. While neither played awful I think we were tougher with the lineup that pulled it out. A couple bad decisions by each but again nothing bad overall just not the impact of the other in this game, glad Danny didn't feel he needed to get them in again, well coached.

Whaley - I mean not a double-double but the guy is playing well. Blocking shots is becoming a thing for him and big ones too. Solid minutes again love his impact these last 6-7 games and the confidence is now there.

Refs - once again awful but fair. They missed a couple big ones but hey we won, what can you say. But the 3 "jump ball" calls in a row told you on 2 of 3 they were,'t sure what to call. The 2.7 seconds OOB's should NOT have been reversed no proof that Bouk was the last to touch never mind even touched, it seems like the Cincy guys forearm kept the ball going that direction not Bouk. But hey, they were great LOL.

Favorite Play in the game - alright it's really not a play but I got a kick out of it anyway. If you didn't see this you need to go back and watch the play I just finished talking about in which they reversed the call with 2.7 seconds left. In real time the ball goes OOB's, all eyes on the ref making the call he takes his time to point the other way to UConn. Bouk, who was pointing the other way, walked over and hugged the ref after he called it Husky ball. Honestly it was beautiful check it out, he actually hugged him 2 hands around him and a hug, fn hilarious!

GREAT win, happy to leave that taste in their mouth. Would love to have them on the regular season schedule though it's a dogfight.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Great write-up, mau. I'm glad you highlighted the two early back to back treys by Brendan. Monstrous is spot on. And his trey-nope that he dribbled to an 18-footer was excellent.

Reaction Score
First of all what a win, these kids are resilient just when you say "oh boy here we go", they're making plays to get back in it. Only this time they finished it.

Okay:

Akok - 39 minutes need more that 4/6/2 but he's learning and will do just that next year. Even in the next 7-17 games he may pop up with a stats sheet filler.

Carlton - Weird game for him but a warrior effort. 5/10 isn't great but a couple huge boards in traffic down the stretch. Once again missed a couple of easy finished but you know what the big white dude gets away with murder. The kid had 1 or 2 fouls and instead he should be fouling out. The one lefty finish Josh missed he got bumped hard by the kid no call. His fist 3 possessions 2nd half were atrocious with 2 TO's and a bobbled pass but he came back to be a contributor late especially a put back and rebound even later in which Cincy should've fouled him but didn't when they had the chance.

Vital - What can you say when he starts out hot like he was from 3 almost expected a 30 pt night but he's still struggling a little. But his toughness showed on both ends especially guarding either Cumberland. It was a typical Vital with some "wtfs" but mostly positive as he finds a way. Huge weak side rebound and put back and what can you say about the regulation and OT ending D, effort plus! He was straight up on D the last one only contact was Cumberland leaning forward to draw a foul, nice job CV.

Bouk - Wow we need a little more in the first half as his pattern seem to be a little Shabazz-like of the great 2nd half. He does stuff that is so exciting for now as well as the future. His steal and hesitation first half only to finish opposite rim from the shot blockers was special as hell. And there was more, a pleasure to watch. A couple of times he had a chance to reach or body a break away and held back from fouling, I like that beginning to understand we need minutes from him. Special player once we can ride sooner too, maybe now?

Adams - His 2 threes at 28-18 Cincy were monstrous. Could have lost them early. One of his best offensive moves was form the camera side to the middle and a great stop and pop from just inside the FT line, love that would like to see more. Plays hard, missing those 2 FTs hurt and they hit a 3 I believe I'm thinking "uh oh". Solid game though 16 off the bench is great hope to see him gain confidence form this one and be more consistent. Huge though, get to have a guy like that as the 7th, 8th isn't it?

Wilson - not sure what happened? Was the knee bothering him? Only 2 minutes not much to say expect I hope he gets healthy need him.

Gaffney and Gilbert - I will say this to start, thought Hurley made a great decision pretty much staying with the other 3 for the last 5-10 minutes of regulation and OT. While neither played awful I think we were tougher with the lineup that pulled it out. A couple bad decisions by each but again nothing bad overall just not the impact of the other in this game, glad Danny didn't feel he needed to get them in again, well coached.

Whaley - I mean not a double-double but the guy is playing well. Blocking shots is becoming a thing for him and big ones too. Solid minutes again love his impact these last 6-7 games and the confidence is now there.

Refs - once again awful but fair. They missed a couple big ones but hey we won, what can you say. But the 3 "jump ball" calls in a row told you on 2 of 3 they were,'t sure what to call. The 2.7 seconds OOB's should NOT have been reversed no proof that Bouk was the last to touch never mind even touched, it seems like the Cincy guys forearm kept the ball going that direction not Bouk. But hey, they were great LOL.

Favorite Play in the game - alright it's really not a play but I got a kick out of it anyway. If you didn't see this you need to go back and watch the play I just finished talking about in which they reversed the call with 2.7 seconds left. In real time the ball goes OOB's, all eyes on the ref making the call he takes his time to point the other way to UConn. Bouk, who was pointing the other way, walked over and hugged the ref after he called it Husky ball. Honestly it was beautiful check it out, he actually hugged him 2 hands around him and a hug, fn hilarious!

GREAT win, happy to leave that taste in their mouth. Would love to have them on the regular season schedule though it's a dogfight.
Hurley said before the game he was hesitant about letting Sid play because Cincy is such a physical opponent. He put him out there but right away decided it wasn't worth it, didn't want him to reinjure himself.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Okay:

I think my favorite play was the Bouknight backdoor cut for a layup. Can’t remember the last time I saw one of our guys cut backdoor successfully like that.

It’s fun to win a big one, isn’t it?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think my favorite play was the Bouknight backdoor cut for a layup. Can’t remember the last time I saw one of our guys cut backdoor successfully like that.

Glad you got to watch the game.
Nice haikus.

Reaction Score
Akok seems off out there. I remember his unbridled enthusiasm on the court early this year. He seems emotionless now in comparison. Wonder if it is related to his recent benching?

Reaction Score
Akok seems off out there. I remember his unbridled enthusiasm on the court early this year. He seems emotionless now in comparison. Wonder if it is related to his recent benching?
He's a little banged up, might have something to do with it.

Reaction Score
Akok had a couple of nice moves where he up-faked beyond the arc and dribbled inside for open mid-range jumpers. Both looked good but just didn't drop. I think we'll see more of that next year. Being able to put the ball on floor even for just one or two bounces would really open some things up for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I posted this on the vital thread a little while ago but I’ll say it again : don’t let us beat SMU on Wednesday because XL will be rocking Sunday for the Memphis game over the holiday weekend - we beat smu wednesday , we ll will be favored to win pretty much all our remaining games - running the table is not as crazy as it sounds !!! I know we’re still a long ways away but it’s fun to actually think and hope it’s a possibility!!!!

Reaction Score
Akok had a couple of nice moves where he up-faked beyond the arc and dribbled inside for open mid-range jumpers. Both looked good but just didn't drop. I think we'll see more of that next year. Being able to put the ball on floor even for just one or two bounces would really open some things for him.
I’m not worried bout akok. He ll be fine. Just keep swatting shots.

Reaction Score

this was sick. watching it in-person, it almost seemed like bouk was pretending to be hurt or tired or something. caught the cinci kid sleeping. so good.

Reaction Score

They been running that backdoor lob to Bouk but teams been catching on. I think that was pretty much the same play but they did the bounce pass instead. I could be wrong but that’s what I thought at the time.

Either way is was beautifully executed.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I posted this on the vital thread a little while ago but I’ll say it again : don’t let us beat SMU on Wednesday because XL will be rocking Sunday for the Memphis game over the holiday weekend - we beat smu wednesday , we ll will be favored to win pretty much all our remaining games - running the table is not as crazy as it sounds !!! I know we’re still a long ways away but it’s fun to actually think and hope it’s a possibility!!!!
After Memphis we have 4 games vs the dregs before we close with Houston at home then another dreg in Tulane on the road . Losing all those close games really hurts with the way we are playing now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
this was sick. watching it in-person, it almost seemed like bouk was pretending to be hurt or tired or something. caught the cinci kid sleeping. so good.

He was legit banged up. He caught a Charlie horse or something because even after he made the cut and score he was limping heading back down to play D.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Akok had a couple of nice moves where he up-faked beyond the arc and dribbled inside for open mid-range jumpers. Both looked good but just didn't drop. I think we'll see more of that next year. Being able to put the ball on floor even for just one or two bounces would really open some things for him.
One thing I noticed is he’s no longer the first guy down the court on change if possession anymore. Hope it’s an injury thing not a heart thing.

Reaction Score
Good read Mau. Great win by the pups. I was cracking up when Bouk hugged the ref after the late OOB call for us. It was no posture, all relief and release. Really funny.

Reaction Score
Another much needed W. The road win and today’s revenge win are definitely confidence boosters hopefully carrying this momentum into the conference tournament. It also shows that we can play with any team in this conference.

C

Chief00

One thing I noticed is he’s no longer the first guy down the court on change if possession anymore. Hope it’s an injury thing not a heart thing.
Yes, Akok’s man beat him down court twice in the first half for hoops, which surprised me. On the offensive end he’s just overthinking. When the shots there early in the shot clock, he needs to drill it.

Reaction Score
Yes, Akok’s man beat him down court twice in the first half for hoops, which surprised me. On the offensive end he’s just overthinking. When the shots there early in the shot clock, he needs to drill it.

Agreed chief. Our guys tend to think they *have* to run an offense. The point of the offense is to get open. If you're open SHOOT.

Makes me wonder if they were overcoached on offense in HS.

C

Chief00

Agreed chief. Our guys tend to think they *have* to run an offense. The point of the offense is to get open. If you're open SHOOT.

Makes me wonder if they were overcoached on offense in HS.
It’s an interesting dichotomy. Many guys aren’t fundamentally sound but they are “over coach “ running an offense. I think guys need to play more unsupervised 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 where you learn to read things and then it becomes real time instincts in games. Because guys haven’t developed those instincts coaches micro manage them - because the trusts not there.

Reaction Score
It’s an interesting dichotomy. Many guys aren’t fundamentally sound but they are “over coach “ running an offense. I think guys need to play more unsupervised 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 where you learn to read things and then it becomes real time instincts in games. Because guys haven’t developed those instincts coaches micro manage them - because the trusts not there.

Amen, chief. When I coach, my practices are about 1/3 competitive games. 2 on 2, 3 on 3 mostly. I give them a few rules to follow (ie. You need to pass fake on ever catch, a quick DHO into a pindown,,, whatever it is after I've taught the skill) and just let 'em play to 7. Basic stuff but even D1 players are missing those basic skills.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My biggest thing is guys stepping up and growth. Across the board.

When you think about it as a meaningful whole, we lack ball handlers, consistency at the point, don't have a go-to scorer, lack depth, have been hit with injuries and have no real front-court, made worse by Carlton forgetting how to play basketball, and don't have as many athletes as we should.... like that's a lot of issues to work through...

And yet we're still in ALL of these games and we were a bone-headed play away from winning any of those super close games. Xavier, Indiana, Wichita, Villanova, Houston, Memphis and Tulsa were all winnable games. I mean there's a scenario where we win half of those games and we're more like 16-7, coasting to an NIT berth and flirting with the bubble.

But we're also seeing the turnaround coming here because guys are growing, maturing and frankly - just stepping up to the plate - all in their own way. The ball handling issues have been rectified by Gaffney being able to share more minutes and Gilbert feeling like less of the game is in his hands. Whaley is... good lord. I mean he's saved our bacon given that Carlton has been such a bust. Bouknight has stepped up with Polley out and has become the scorer we thought he'd be and he's not even scratching the surface. Akok has been Akok. Wilson has battled a lot of injuries, but the effort's been there and his contributions have been noticeable. Vital has been less Vital-ish and there's been way more good than bad. Adams isn't consistent every night - but he's a super valuable bench piece.. and even Carlton - while he's been way more terrible than even serviceable - he has managed to come up with a big play here or there when we've needed one.

And credit to Hurley too, who seems to have finally gotten through to these guys. The effort and intensity of this team has been really next level and in spite of both the bad luck and the self-created bad luck. We might not be the most talented group, but i'll be damned if i've seen many more UConn teams that are this hard-nosed and play with the kind of intensity these guys do.

What i've been most impressed with the last month or so though - has been the overall energy. We're seeing fewer and fewer of those Ollie-era lapses where the team would give you a few spurts to kind of string you along, but they were overwhelmed by 10 minute disaster stretches. We've had some bone headed mistakes, miscues and frustrations - but those never-ending, inexplicable cratering phases of games are way fewer and further between and the last 3 or 4 games - haven't happened at all.

I mean today was a legitimately good basketball game all the way through. And I can't remember the last time I said that.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, this could end really well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom