thoughts on the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are playing 3 games in 3 days, early in the year, so we might be a bit quicker to the bench than we would if it was a conference game - or especially if it was an NCAA Tourney game.

Reaction Score
We all know when we have lost to a better team. And I know it's Cuse so it sounds like bitterness; but we are better. Rodney will finish most of those misses and KO will watch tape and adjust. I didn't like the refs and I hate to say it but I don't trust Amidah's hands but Rodney makes just 2 of those drives and we are in. KO outcoached himself with going too deep as noted by earlier posters. I'm chalking this up to....we 'd up. Tomorrow is a real test. We are doomed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hard to say when you score 76 that offense lost the game and not the defense when you gave up 79, but our offense was offensive. So many truly bad shots led to so many transition points. To SUs credit, they made us pay a large percentage of those times. Of course, RPs early foul shooting woes also fueled SUs 1st half momentum.

Reaction Score
We are playing 3 games in 3 days, early in the year, so we might be a bit quicker to the bench than we would if it was a conference game - or especially if it was an NCAA Tourney game.

First thing I thought of when I saw how much we were substituting. Our depth is strong, but not that strong.

Reaction Score
Disclaimer : only got to see the last 5 min. Will watch all later.

Our CR twilight zone gives a whole different meaning to games. A few years ago a loss to cuse would have been a loss. We would not have been happy but we knew to we would play them again and could get payback.

So much now gets loaded on to these games that other fans just don't understand because I don't think there is anyone else in our particular helll.

If we had to lose a game here I'm sure most of us would rather beat Cuse and lose to zags.

On more game tomorrow. Let's see if we learn anything.

Reaction Score
And yet if Purvis made some more of his free throws and we execute JUST A COUPLE of easy layups, we win.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bad loss against a so-so team that caught a run. Roberson rebounds like a man, we only have one guy who does that. Our bigs can't guard anyone, awful defense on the pick and roll. They made an unknown freshman look like an AA for crying out loud, should be ashamed. He had wide open looks as did many others. Really have to be slightly nervous the way our transition defense looked when in disarray - WIDE open people everywhere.

I've seen this sentiment a bit on here and I just don't agree. Our bigs CAN guard inside, they just arent doing it. 2014 NCAAs proved this to me. We've got the same cast of characters: Nolan, Brimah, Miller for Daniels, and a big upgrade in Facey over Olander.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know it's possible. I've seen it. It's just a matter of them figuring out the defense in a new team dynamic.

And spot on about the depth. UCONNs used to using these early games as trial runs for the rest of the year. Given our conference affiliation, we can no longer afford to do that.

Reaction Score
I've seen this sentiment a bit on here and I just don't agree. Our bigs CAN guard inside, they just arent doing it. 2014 NCAAs proved this to me. We've got the same cast of characters: Nolan, Brimah, Miller for Daniels, and a big upgrade in Facey over Olander.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know it's possible. I've seen it. It's just a matter of them figuring out the defense in a new team dynamic.

And spot on about the depth. UCONNs used to using these early games as trial runs for the rest of the year. Given our conference affiliation, we can no longer afford to do that.

Miller can guard and Nolan can but the other 2 are still "learning" I guess, nothings really changed. Hedge D bad and help D is a non factor at times. You can disagree all you want but it's the truth and it's obvious KO and the staff know it too because these guys aren't playing at crunch time even though we can't get a rebound.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Miller can guard and Nolan can but the other 2 are still "learning" I guess, nothings really changed. Hedge D bad and help D is a non factor at times. You can disagree all you want but it's the truth and it's obvious KO and the staff know it too because these guys aren't playing at crunch time even though we can't get a rebound.

It might be the 'truth' now. But the fact is they have done it, for extended periods, against the best competition in the country. So you could be right, 2014 was merely a flash in the pan, dumb luck, and not reflective of their skill.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
A telling okay was when Miller made a nice spin move toward the hoop, but rather than elevating and dunking (which would have led to a 3 pt. play) he went for the layup and was blocked from behind. We needed that extra effort today.

Reaction Score
A telling okay was when Miller made a nice spin move toward the hoop, but rather than elevating and dunking (which would have led to a 3 pt. play) he went for the layup and was blocked from behind. We needed that extra effort today.

Yeah he could have dunked that one agree. Also a very nice play by Roberson though huh? Need more from him too and he has it. Smart player needs to get in the mix and the guards need to get him more looks and less for others.

Reaction Score
To put things into perspective #17 Notre Dame lost to Monmouth today. There have been plenty of upsets early in the basketball season. We were not good today and took a tough L but it's not the end of the world. Let's look forward to what should be an exciting game tomorrow against a really good Gonzaga team and try to make our way out of the Bahamas 2-1. Go huskies baby.

Reaction Score
Hate to say the game may been lost in the first 10 minutes and it may have been KO I'm afraid. They were playing great, up 17-8 and had things rolling, had them on their heels. Then suddenly there's 2, 3 then 4 and 5 different players in the game. Was that really the time to "show off" your depth? I mean they weren't tired and they had confidence and the foot was on the pedal. Let them go until exhausted if they are rolling, no rule you have to bring anyone in to make them happy!

And then the players lost the game, they fell in love with the drive and the pass to someone down low instead of shooting the ball. And they were getting all kinds of run outs and open looks because of crappy passes to people who really can't do anything with it down there anyway. That needs to stop. No one was making the right plays including DHam at that juncture - this team is now playing the way Syracuse used to play just throwing up lob after lob and letting leads slip away. Play basketball please, shoot he damn ball when you get in the paint.

Bad loss against a so-so team that caught a run. Roberson rebounds like a man, we only have one guy who does that. Our bigs can't guard anyone, awful defense on the pick and roll. They made an unknown freshman look like an AA for crying out loud, should be ashamed. He had wide open looks as did many others. Really have to be slightly nervous the way our transition defense looked when in disarray - WIDE open people everywhere.

Certainly not a must win by any means tomorrow and the match up is awful as their bigs may school ours, but they need to bounce back in a huge way and play well.
They played last night. Subbing early and often seemed good strategy to me. It will be a long season for 5 guys.

Reaction Score
We penetrated the zone all game long but no one has confidence in their mid range shot. 4 Cuse turnovers early in the second half and we are over passing and losing the ball oob down low. It cost us. Gibbs was off in the second half and Miller has to get used to playing at this level. The team is a work in progress and really will learn a lot about itself playing Gonzaga. I thought Ollie left us short when he had the small lineup in for the last 3 minutes, we needed a big in there, I would have put in Facey. The team still is figuring out their strengths and weaknesses. Would have been nice to beat Boeheim though.

Reaction Score
They played last night. Subbing early and often seemed good strategy to me. It will be a long season for 5 guys.

No one said to play 5 guys. Just play 5 while they have it going as they did and why not. They are 19-20 year old kids, they can play the first 10 minutes of the game I promise. And if they built a 15-20 point lead it would have helped I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom