thoughts on the game | The Boneyard

thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Things I loved
1. Daniel Hamilton....Kid is playing great. We really need to put the ball in his hands sometimes. He needs to be more assertive from here on out.

Things I liked
1. I think Kentan Facey played good. Had great energy. Loved his offensive rebounding.
2. I think Gibbs had an off game. Wish he got into the middle of the zone more. He plays very controlled and brings stability to our team. But like Daniel Hamilton he needs to be more assertive.

Things I didn't like
1. The refs were horrible in this game. Called the game way too tight.
2. Really worried about Amida. Missed at least 3 dunks, either couldn't catch the ball or couldnt finish. He is a liability on offense, and on defense is becoming a liability too... was out of position many times. We really need him to step up defensively.
3. Really worried about our in game adjustments. We had no offensive flow for the last 30 min of the game. And I can't think of one major adjustment we did. We never penetrated the zone effectively and passed the ball around the perimeter way to much.
4. I feel like Purvis plays way too indecisive. I really love his energy and defense. I really hate it when he drives to the basket and passes back out to the perimeter. That is just turnovers waiting to happen. He needs a step back mid range jumper. His arms are too short for him to finish effectively around the rim.
5. Shonn Miller's minutes. Shonn miller should have been in the game alot more. It would be nice to see him play with kentan facey more. Shonn missed a few easy baskets but we really need to go feed him the ball more.
6.Calhoun got lost on defense way too much.

What we need:
1. The ball in the hands of hamilton and gibbs. Both need to look for their own shot more, and once they establish an offensive rhythm then get others involved.
2. More off the ball movement.
3. Cut down on overpassing. Make quick decisive passes. Passing aimlessly around the perimeter is exactly what the defense wants.
4. More minutes for facey and shonn miller.
5. Purvis can get into the lane but shouldn't go all the way to the rim. Step back jumper. More set threes for purvis too.

Reaction Score
Things I loved
1. Daniel Hamilton....Kid is playing great. We really need to put the ball in his hands sometimes. He needs to be more assertive from here on out.

Things I liked
1. I think Kentan Facey played good. Had great energy. Loved his offensive rebounding.
2. I think Gibbs had an off game. Wish he got into the middle of the zone more. He plays very controlled and brings stability to our team. But like Daniel Hamilton he needs to be more assertive.

Things I didn't like
1. The refs were horrible in this game. Called the game way too tight.
2. Really worried about Amida. Missed at least 3 dunks, either couldn't catch the ball or couldnt finish. He is a liability on offense, and on defense is becoming a liability too... was out of position many times. We really need him to step up defensively.
3. Really worried about our in game adjustments. We had no offensive flow for the last 30 min of the game. And I can't think of one major adjustment we did. We never penetrated the zone effectively and passed the ball around the perimeter way to much.
4. I feel like Purvis plays way too indecisive. I really love his energy and defense. I really hate it when he drives to the basket and passes back out to the perimeter. That is just turnovers waiting to happen. He needs a step back mid range jumper. His arms are too short for him to finish effectively around the rim.
5. Shonn Miller's minutes. Shonn miller should have been in the game alot more. It would be nice to see him play with kentan facey more. Shonn missed a few easy baskets but we really need to go feed him the ball more.
6.Calhoun got lost on defense way too much.

What we need:
1. The ball in the hands of hamilton and gibbs. Both need to look for their own shot more, and once they establish an offensive rhythm then get others involved.
2. More off the ball movement.
3. Cut down on overpassing. Make quick decisive passes. Passing aimlessly around the perimeter is exactly what the defense wants.
4. More minutes for facey and shonn miller.
5. Purvis can get into the lane but shouldn't go all the way to the rim. Step back jumper. More set threes for purvis too.
Agree with all except Miller point. You give minutes to the players playing well, and he had a very off game. Offense was a non-factor, defense was terrible, I expected him to be much better on D than what he's shown

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good points.
This was the first game this season where Amida was being bumped down low quite a bit and he didn't respond well. He can learn from this and he will do a better job finishing.
Daniel was great...please keep it up!
Gibbs started out hot then played subpar for the remainder of the game.
Shonn didn't respond well to similar athletes with better length. He has not been great against zone so far. He will improve.
Tough day for our Cowboys as well.

Reaction Score
Nice write up, but Miller had an off game. Did he change sneakers, his hops were lacking.

RP can take it to the rack but not against 3 defenders in a zone.

Reaction Score
Hate to say the game may been lost in the first 10 minutes and it may have been KO I'm afraid. They were playing great, up 17-8 and had things rolling, had them on their heels. Then suddenly there's 2, 3 then 4 and 5 different players in the game. Was that really the time to "show off" your depth? I mean they weren't tired and they had confidence and the foot was on the pedal. Let them go until exhausted if they are rolling, no rule you have to bring anyone in to make them happy!

And then the players lost the game, they fell in love with the drive and the pass to someone down low instead of shooting the ball. And they were getting all kinds of run outs and open looks because of crappy passes to people who really can't do anything with it down there anyway. That needs to stop. No one was making the right plays including DHam at that juncture - this team is now playing the way Syracuse used to play just throwing up lob after lob and letting leads slip away. Play basketball please, shoot he damn ball when you get in the paint.

Bad loss against a so-so team that caught a run. Roberson rebounds like a man, we only have one guy who does that. Our bigs can't guard anyone, awful defense on the pick and roll. They made an unknown freshman look like an AA for crying out loud, should be ashamed. He had wide open looks as did many others. Really have to be slightly nervous the way our transition defense looked when in disarray - WIDE open people everywhere.

Certainly not a must win by any means tomorrow and the match up is awful as their bigs may school ours, but they need to bounce back in a huge way and play well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just wish Amida could catch the ball :/

Purvis also kind of disappeared tonight and we play much worse when he's having an off night and neither Cassell or Calhoun pick up the slack

It's still early. I think the team will get better, and I expect less nights like this. The zone does funny things to an offense.

Reaction Score
Good point about the early subs, I thought that also. Did KO think we were playing Maine?

Can't do it when your first 5 are playing that well. They had rhythm and were beating them to every neutral ball, why change that? My brother and I both said it same time - "why is he bringing anyone in right now let them go" They got back in the game soon after Omar, Kentan, Jalen and Sam were in, nothing against these guys it just was not the time. They may have built a 15-16 point lead. Overcoached there but that's ok they didn't play well tonight is all.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Hate to say the game may been lost in the first 10 minutes and it may have been KO I'm afraid. They were playing great, up 17-8 and had things rolling, had them on their heels. Then suddenly there's 2, 3 then 4 and 5 different places in the game. Was that really the time to "show off" your depth? I mean they weren't tired and they had confidence and the foot was on the pedal. Let them go until exhausted if they are rolling, no rule you have to bring anyone in to make them happy!

I had the same thought. Shorten the rotation and get this win. duck your depth.

Reaction Score
Can't do it when your first 5 are playing that well. They had rhythm and were beating them to every neutral ball, why change that? My brother and I both said it same time - "why is he bringing anyone in right now let them go" They got back in the game soon after Omar, Kentan, Jalen and Sam were in, nothing against these guys it just was not the time. They may have built a 15-16 point lead. Overcoached there but that's ok they didn't play well tonight is all.
I couldn't agree more - it looked like we were going to run them out of the gym and then KO went to the bench and the game changed. Also we looked lost in transition defense tonight. Give Syracuse some credit though - they played well

Reaction Score
Cuse has some guys who can shoot the ball. You know Cooney and Gubonji can but add Richardson with a couple huge ones and Lydon missed no open looks. Roberson is a horse, tough kid great athlete. While we saw them play well they will have some real tough nights too though because their zone can be had with better pass than we threw and they really have little to no presence inside. They were the better team tonight though.

Reaction Score
We didn't solve the zone! I think we were not ready for cuse, partly coaching and partly team 'newness'. Team should now know that we will not win on talent alone, and work that much more harder. Facey is ready, he banged real good with the big boys, holding his own! I think if we would have pulled it out and won, it would have disguised our flaws. Now that there's exposure, and that its very early in the season, Ollie and staff can get to work.

I'm not distraught or 'too' bummed only because of that damn cuse zone (and cuse' 3 point shooting).

Reaction Score
We didn't solve the zone! I think we were not ready for cuse, partly coaching and partly team 'newness'. Team should now know that we will not win on talent alone, and work that much more harder. Facey is ready, he banged real good with the big boys, holding his own! I think if we would have pulled it out and won, it would have disguised our flaws. Now that there's exposure, and that its very early in the season, Ollie and staff can get to work.

I'm not distraught or 'too' bummed only because of that damn cuse zone.

I have to disagree. I think we killed the zone and could have shredded it with better decisions but instead threw some atrocious passes when in the lane. If we make 3 or 4 of those 6-8 footers instead of throwing passes to no one we win. Had a lot of good looks that we didn't finish is all.

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
I'm not distraught or 'too' bummed only because of that damn cuse zone.

Playing against a 2-3 zone is day one stuff, basketball 101. You don't remember Marcus Williams, Rudy and Co. taking a steaming dump all over Syracuse in the Dome? And THIS Cuse team is trash compared to those teams. You just have to have the patience and discipline to do it.

A hugely disappointing effort.

Reaction Score
Hate to say the game may been lost in the first 10 minutes and it may have been KO I'm afraid. They were playing great, up 17-8 and had things rolling, had them on their heels. Then suddenly there's 2, 3 then 4 and 5 different players in the game. Was that really the time to "show off" your depth? I mean they weren't tired and they had confidence and the foot was on the pedal. Let them go until exhausted if they are rolling, no rule you have to bring anyone in to make them happy!

And then the players lost the game, they fell in love with the drive and the pass to someone down low instead of shooting the ball. And they were getting all kinds of run outs and open looks because of crappy passes to people who really can't do anything with it down there anyway. That needs to stop. No one was making the right plays including DHam at that juncture - this team is now playing the way Syracuse used to play just throwing up lob after lob and letting leads slip away. Play basketball please, shoot he damn ball when you get in the paint.

Bad loss against a so-so team that caught a run. Roberson rebounds like a man, we only have one guy who does that. Our bigs can't guard anyone, awful defense on the pick and roll. They made an unknown freshman look like an AA for crying out loud, should be ashamed. He had wide open looks as did many others. Really have to be slightly nervous the way our transition defense looked when in disarray - WIDE open people everywhere.

Certainly not a must win by any means tomorrow and the match up is awful as their bigs may school ours, but they need to bounce back in a huge way and play well.

Totally agree.

But this is the DOWNSIDE of depth. You have to play them. You've got to keep all of them involved to really grow as a team. I can't blame Ollie for subbing Adams & Cassell & Facey after recent performance. But, you disrupted a flow that SU couldn't match.

Think we found a way to play today that we will learn from. Think we saw something with Purvis that we need to curb some. Brimah really didn't have a bad game & Facey is showing growth. In retrospect, You'd gameplan Lydon totally different. And switch minutes on Roberson.

As always, I'm upset about the foul interpretations. Though SU was the beneficiary of two sets of calls.

Reaction Score
Going to watch it later but it's surprising the meltdown over a 3 point loss. We have a lot to work with this year, lets get a grip.

Reaction Score
Going to watch it later but it's surprising the meltdown over a 3 point loss. We have a lot to work with this year, lets get a grip.

If people are surprised that people are bitterly disappointed over losing to Syracuse than I might have to conclude that those people have been living in a bunker for the last 5 years.

When the regular season schedule came out if you were to ask us what game we most want to win I would wager most would have picked today's.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Massive amounts of food and family drink concoctions have eased the pain. We'll live.

Reaction Score
Pretty decent effort. Syracuse was good. Not a horrible loss. Purvis needs to finish. Brimah needs to catch the ball consisttently. Nothing un-fixable. Another game tomorrow.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I totally had the "Cassell?...Omar? ...Wait, what's the score again?...WTF is he doing here?!?" moment.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
ASweet3781 said:
When the regular season schedule came out if you were to ask us what game we most want to win I would wager most would have picked today's.
I would've traded two future losses for a win today.

Reaction Score

I'm not distraught or 'too' bummed only because of that damn cuse zone (and cuse' 3 point shooting).
I thought we did a decent job penetrating the zone but once we did we couldn't convert enough; especially Purvis. Also, we weren't very good from the FT line.
Other than that, this team played hard and could have won the game. The best is yet to come.

Reaction Score

Completely agree with you on the subs... KO generally does a good job in not over-coaching but this year he has had a tendency to sub when the guys out there are in a good flow and playing well. Like you said up 17-8 playing real well and then KO goes to his subs, that was a head scratcher.

Its not the players that are going to grow and adjust as the season progresses but KO will too. I have utmost confidence in him that he will have this team ready and clicking for a deep run in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom