Thoughts on the end of the world | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the end of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is the other side of Mojo gentlemen. The other side of Mojo has presented us with two ankle sprains and a knee sprain to start the season and The magical nut sack has swung in favor of Texas and now Yale. This is karma based adversity my friends. We once won by the last second shot and now we lose by the same last second shot. It had to happen . 2011 and 2014 kinda exhausted the good fortune tank .It's life. I guess the bright side is we have these injuries and " WTF" at the beginning of the season with time to correct things.
yeah, the biggest thing for this team is to not quit and not to start fighting... they need to get healthy, have fun, and have chemistry...they have to stick together... everyone is in a new role(boat being the man and a PG this year(all new faces to pass to), brimah developing his game and being a full time player, etc and most of them it's their first year...

Reaction Score
The reason there will be hope is the AAC tournament. Not that we're a shoe-in or anything, but it is on our home court and the competition is less than intimidating. No matter how bad it gets, there's always that waiting for us if we can figure it out by March.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The reason there will be hope is the AAC tournament. Not that we're a shoe-in or anything, but it is on our home court and the competition is less than intimidating. No matter how bad it gets, there's always that waiting for us if we can figure it out by March.
We overcame a lower seed due to AAC affiliation last year, but underseeding could definitely hurt us in the future. Having to face good teams earlier in the tounament makes is much more difficult to consistently reach E8, FFs (not that it isn't difficult in the first place for everyone).

Reaction Score
We overcame a lower seed due to AAC affiliation last year, but underseeding could definitely hurt us in the future. Having to face good teams earlier in the tounament makes is much more difficult to consistently reach E8, FFs (not that it isn't difficult in the first place for everyone).
Not saying it's ideal, I just think we'll never truly be out of the running this year. We win three straight home games in March against iffy competition and all the sudden we're in and anything can happen.

Reaction Score
#3 Guessing that your theory won't happen at least I hope not but then again Omar has been very quiet.

Reaction Score
No issues with Ollie. He is a coach not a damn cheerleader. He should question this teams desire and heart. They have to want to be great and want to work harder then they even know they can. That is how we won last year. If they don't want to get in the gym and work then this is what they get. It's up to the players to respond

Reaction Score
This is the other side of Mojo gentlemen....2011 and 2014 kinda exhausted the good fortune tank.

It didn't used to take "mojo" and unexpected postseason runs. We used to be a dominant program that was a force to be reckoned with, with a semi-permanent place in the top 10 of the polls. The championships have masked the fact that our program isn't what it was 5+ years ago.

Reaction Score
The reason there will be hope is the AAC tournament. Not that we're a shoe-in or anything, but it is on our home court and the competition is less than intimidating.
Funny but all the other conference teams are probably saying the same thing right about now. LOL

Reaction Score
It didn't used to take "mojo" and unexpected postseason runs. We used to be a dominant program that was a force to be reckoned with, with a semi-permanent place in the top 10 of the polls. The championships have masked the fact that our program isn't what it was 5+ years ago.
I'd rather win championships every 3 years than be ranked in the Top 10 every year and win s*it like Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Funny but all the other conference teams are probably saying the same thing right about now. LOL
They're all saying the tournament is on their home court? That's what we have going for us.

Reaction Score
They're all saying the tournament is on their home court? That's what we have going for us.

Relax dude, its funny that opponents probably also feel their chances have also improved. As for your comment about home court, it is not as intimidating this season.

Yale of all teams, proved that 'anyone' can beat us at home. If its an advantage its not a huge one.

Sorry but to me, the reality is the AAC is wide open right now, until proven otherwise.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Breaking news...the world just ended again: Our football team (yes, we have one unfortunately) just lost to SMU, arguably making it the worst D-1 A team in the country.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well, it's been a bizarre trifecta: last second men's basketbal losses to the alma maters of George W. Bush's twin granddaughters, and a football loss featuring 21 unanswered second-half points surrendered to Laura Bush's alma mater (which is the site of the GWB presidential Library). Maybe somebody downstream from Prescott Bush had a birthday wish fulfilled.

Reaction Score
The championships have masked the fact that our program isn't what it was 5+ years ago.

You make a kernel of a valid point and then you ruin it by saying something like that. All those blue bloods that stake their reputation on championships won when guys were wearing short shorts would love to have their deficiencies "masked" by a string of national championships.

Reaction Score
Wow.

We lost to Yale. We lost to Yale on a last second shot. We lost to Yale with a four-point lead with under 20 seconds to play. We're six games in and we're losing games to Yale.

The offensive is an absolute disaster. It's not Diaco-bad, but you can see Diaco-bad gaining in the rear view mirror. Can't shoot, can't take care of the ball, won't pass and appears to be completely allergic to trying to draw a foul. Complete disfunction.

We're 315th in the country in assists per game, 212th in field goal percentage and 227th in points scored. We're 122nd in rebounding which almost qualifies good news. (Tonight will knock us down in all of those categories...) We're -23 in first-half scoring. You actually cannot find a good offensive statistic for this bunch.

1) Ryan - It's hard to get too down on Ryan. In a lot of ways, he's playing the Kemba/Shabazz role but with less ability and far less help. That said, he's set the table for the past two losses with misses at the free throw line. He's likely exhausted from carrying the team for 37 minutes by then, but still...

2) The front court - Facey had a bad night...so be it. Nolan's Nolan which basically means empty minutes, a charge call or two and nothing else. Now Brimah...the kid is such an indifferent rebounder. He averaged three rebounds in 16 minutes last year. He's getting 26 minutes a game this year and hasn't managed to add even an entire rebound to his average. Three-point-six in 26 minutes?! We keep projecting him into the lottery - the NBA has no use for a raw seven-footer who can't rebound. The bad news - he's still so raw. The good news - he's not going anywhere.

3) Omar Calhoun - I have a theory. I'll let you know if I'm right in about ten days.

4) Does anyone know of a good Ferrari mechanic? We need one to report to Kevin Ollie's garage posthaste.

5) I thought it was a bad sign when KO let it drop that he wanted to see our players in the gym more. Tonight's comments were much more dire - not sure where this team's collective head is, but Ollie doesn't sound happy about it. Ollie seems like a good guy, but I suspect these guys are going to discover that he didn't get where he is simply by being nice.

6) We have three losses before heading to play Duke, Florida and Stanford. If this crew doesn't start to get on track, they could easily be sitting at 9-7 or 8-8 in mid-January and in this conference, we don't have a lot of runway to recover. "We're fine, we're UConn" is a great message board slogan, but I'm not certain the selection peeps subscribe to those.

Any doors that were open to us as a result of some very fine accomplishments have passed and our Minsky Moment is upon us as our asset value is spiraling down. Institutionally we made some big big mistakes and we can't turn back the clock. We're an outlier and maybe the kids sense that they really aren't playing for much and it's not going to change. Being in the Big East looks pretty good now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Any doors that were open to us as a result of some very fine accomplishments have passed and our Minsky Moment is upon us as our asset value is spiraling down. Institutionally we made some big big mistakes and we can't turn back the clock. We're an outlier and maybe the kids sense that they really aren't playing for much and it's not going to change. Being in the Big East looks pretty good now.

No, it doesn't. I'd rather have a football team, bad as it is.

I hate defeatism.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree with the OP except blaming Ryan for missing 2 free throws. Neither 1 guaranteed a win. He has hit so many for so long.
All the negatives were true but there are some positives that weren't mentioned. Mainly that we are capable of playing great defense.

Anyone worried about our ranking in the NCAAs right now is missing the big picture.

KO is not giving up on this team. He is sending a message.

I'll take the over on Omar's minutes in a UCONN uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom