Thoughts on the Big10 vs. ACC Tues/Wed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the Big10 vs. ACC Tues/Wed

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A few years ago Maryland thought Syracuse would be a mediocre opponent and they beat them by 20 points. By April they were playing UConn for the national championship.

So....you're predicting Georgia Tech in the National Championship game this year? You heard it first here folks! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
With regard to the Massey rankings, it should be noted that Sagarin has not yet
begun the 2018-19 rankings. Much too early to be very reliable.

I think our armchair prognosticators are about as reliable.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No kidding. The Big 10 is lacking in top tier teams, you'd think they could've found a better opponent for their premier team.
Shizam brought up the point that Louisville played MD 2 years ago so that's fair. Not sure if they played ND recently or NC State, Miami or FSU as all were stronger in the offseason when these matchups were determined. But as TerpWoman Fan just pointed out, may Georgia Tech at 5-1 and having beaten UGA is pretty good, I doubt it but maybe. Which leads to the next question-what the heck happened to UGA??? Maybe they righted the ship in the close loss to Maryland over the weekend but at 3-3, yikes as this was supposed to be a strong SEC season for them. But I digress, this is not about how weak the SEC is this year after MSU but about the ACC/Big10....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is the idea to rotate opponents so eventually you play every team from the other conference? Or to try to make as many compelling matchups as possible? I can understand you don't want to have 2 teams play each other every year, but repeating opponents semi-regularly shouldn't be a problem in my mind. Maryland left the ACC, I'm sure they had some decent rivalries w/in the conference before they left. GT just doesn't jump out as the one ACC team everybody would really like to see the Terps face. Seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe GT is much better than expected, but it doesn't seem like much watch TV (if it was actually broadcast, not sure what coverage is like for any of these games).

It's apples and oranges, but in the men's ACC-Big 10 Challenge I'm certain North Carolina and Michigan St. have played quite a few times. UNC almost always gets one of the best teams from the Big.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is the idea to rotate opponents so eventually you play every team from the other conference? Or to try to make as many compelling matchups as possible? I can understand you don't want to have 2 teams play each other every year, but repeating opponents semi-regularly shouldn't be a problem in my mind. Maryland left the ACC, I'm sure they had some decent rivalries w/in the conference before they left. GT just doesn't jump out as the one ACC team everybody would really like to see the Terps face. Seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe GT is much better than expected, but it doesn't seem like much watch TV (if it was actually broadcast, not sure what coverage is like for any of these games).

It's apples and oranges, but in the men's ACC-Big 10 Challenge I'm certain North Carolina and Michigan St. have played quite a few times. UNC almost always gets one of the best teams from the Big.

I dont think you will see any of the triangle schools agree to play Maryland in Football, or men's or women's basketball in the regular season for the foreseeable future. There is a phrase I could use to describe Maryland...... but it would be deleted... and you might would see a Triaddukefan next to my name . :rolleyes:
Needless to say there is no love lost between Tobacco Road and that Beltway school up north. So pretty much get used to Maryland playing Syracuse, Louisville, ND.... in these matchups.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I get that Maryland isn't popular in ACC country, especially among the more long tenured member schools. Do the schools have any say in the match ups? I don't know about on the women's side, but I thought with the men's Challenge that's mostly/all ESPN picking who plays who.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I get that Maryland isn't popular in ACC country, especially among the more long tenured member schools. Do the schools have any say in the match ups? I don't know about on the women's side, but I thought with the men's Challenge that's mostly/all ESPN picking who plays who.
In WCB, the schools have no say. In Notre Dame's first season in the ACC (2013-14), Muffet had to go up against #10 PSU and her former player and former assistant Coquese Washington in the ACC/B1G Challenge. She hates to go up against former assistants and friends, who she'd rather cheer for than compete against. LINK

"It is a game that neither Penn State coach Coquese Washington nor her mentor wanted.

But thanks to their respective league offices, it’s going to happen Wednesday night.

Washington will coach against Muffet McGraw and her alma mater Notre Dame for the first time since Washington took over the Penn State program seven seasons ago, as the No. 10 Lady Lions (5-1) host the No. 4 Fighting Irish (6-0) at 7:30 p.m. in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge."

In 2014-15, Notre Dame played #15 Maryland.

In 2015-16, Notre Dame played #10 OSU, coached by her former assistant coach McGuff, who married one of her former players when both served as an assistant coaches at ND. She would not have chosen that opponent either.

In 2016-17, Notre Dame played unranked Iowa.

In 2017-18, Notre Dame played #23 Michigan.

In 2018-19, Notre Dame plays #14 Iowa (Thursday, Nov 29th).

I bring up the schedule because someone wondered why Maryland didn't play one of the ACC big guns instead of GTech. I thought it was because they tried to rotate the teams somewhat, but tried to get competitive match-ups as much as they could. But in looking up Notre Dame's opponents, I saw that the Irish played Iowa just 2 years ago, while they played Maryland 4 years ago. I am confused why they wouldn't schedule Maryland again before rescheduling Iowa.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Another noteworthy point that @Fightin Choke reminded me of in a separate thread is that this Clash of Conferences is slightly skewed by the fact that Boston College, one of the ACC bottom feeders, will not participate.

Reaction Score
Another noteworthy point that @Fightin Choke reminded me of in a separate thread is that this Clash of Conferences is slightly skewed by the fact that Boston College, one of the ACC bottom feeders, will not participate.

6-0 BC had its 1st loss this year tonight to old rival Providence
Nice start for the Iggles, but losing to PC?

Reaction Score
Minnesota can be really good when Bell is playing her game. Probably the best game of the series.

Bello (not Bell) is the key for me. If she gets into early foul trouble, turn out the lights for Minnesota. If she doesn’t get into early foul trouble and manages to play close to 40 minutes, it could get interesting.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Wahoos are awful, I think Duke can beat them

Plebe

Reaction Score
On the ACC Network: Brandi Beasley of Illinois hits a 3-pointer with 7 seconds on the clock to tie the game with Clemson.

Clemson calls timeout to set up the final shot.

And we're going to overtime in Littlejohn Coliseum.

I'm going to pat myself on the back for bucking popular opinion to call this one a toss-up :).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Clemson hangs on for a 69-67 win in OT. Kobi Thornton had 23 points and 14 rebounds, really an outstanding player on an otherwise blah team. Very surprising that Clemson was able to come so close when their best player, Alex Wittinger, was really contained by Clemson's defense.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech beat Rutgers 67-51. RU scored 8 in Q4 and 18 in the 2nd half. Similar to their game against Drake in Vancouver last week. Offensively challenged.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Winning teams in bold:

Illinois at Clemson
Virginia at Michigan State
Rutgers at Virginia Tech
Indiana at Wake Forest​
Duke at Wisconsin​
ACC leads, 3-2

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the recap. I’ve been as HS Swim Team Banquet for 3.5 hours and am watching the UConn game I dvr’d! Too lazy to log onto ESPN to see.:)

Reaction Score
Shizam brought up the point that Louisville played MD 2 years ago so that's fair. Not sure if they played ND recently or NC State, Miami or FSU as all were stronger in the offseason when these matchups were determined. But as TerpWoman Fan just pointed out, may Georgia Tech at 5-1 and having beaten UGA is pretty good, I doubt it but maybe. Which leads to the next question-what the heck happened to UGA??? Maybe they righted the ship in the close loss to Maryland over the weekend but at 3-3, yikes as this was supposed to be a strong SEC season for them. But I digress, this is not about how weak the SEC is this year after MSU but about the ACC/Big10....
More specifically what happenned to Robinson? Hopefully she had a better game tonight but the two games I've seen her vs UCLA and especially Ga Tech she was MIA. Missing bunnies and lackluster play. The whole team looked deflated the whole game verse Ga Tech.

Reaction Score
Winning teams in bold:

Illinois at Clemson
Rutgers at Virginia Tech
Indiana at Wake Forest​
Duke at Wisconsin​
ACC leads, 3-2
Oh..... I thought at first those were your predictions not the nights results. Was going to complement you on your forecasting.

Reaction Score
6-0 BC had its 1st loss this year tonight to old rival Providence
Nice start for the Iggles, but losing to PC?
Provident was tenacious on D. The Provident pg Williams came through with :30 left and a tie game with a basket for the ages (a little strong but a good move) to end up winning it. BC shot pretty bad but they showed a lot of spunk. Much better vibe than last year.

Reaction Score
Kick BC out of the conference than. Northeastern snobs. I can say that I'm from a Boston suburb.

Reaction Score
In WCB, the schools have no say. In Notre Dame's first season in the ACC (2013-14), Muffet had to go up against #10 PSU and her former player and former assistant Coquese Washington in the ACC/B1G Challenge. She hates to go up against former assistants and friends, who she'd rather cheer for than compete against. LINK

"It is a game that neither Penn State coach Coquese Washington nor her mentor wanted.

But thanks to their respective league offices, it’s going to happen Wednesday night.

Washington will coach against Muffet McGraw and her alma mater Notre Dame for the first time since Washington took over the Penn State program seven seasons ago, as the No. 10 Lady Lions (5-1) host the No. 4 Fighting Irish (6-0) at 7:30 p.m. in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge."

In 2014-15, Notre Dame played #15 Maryland.

In 2015-16, Notre Dame played #10 OSU, coached by her former assistant coach McGuff, who married one of her former players when both served as an assistant coaches at ND. She would not have chosen that opponent either.

In 2016-17, Notre Dame played unranked Iowa.

In 2017-18, Notre Dame played #23 Michigan.

In 2018-19, Notre Dame plays #14 Iowa (Thursday, Nov 29th).

I bring up the schedule because someone wondered why Maryland didn't play one of the ACC big guns instead of GTech. I thought it was because they tried to rotate the teams somewhat, but tried to get competitive match-ups as much as they could. But in looking up Notre Dame's opponents, I saw that the Irish played Iowa just 2 years ago, while they played Maryland 4 years ago. I am confused why they wouldn't schedule Maryland again before rescheduling Iowa.
Lville 3-1 Big 10 challenge opponents
2014 Iowa Win
2015 Michigan State Win
2016 Maryland Loss
2017 Indiana Win
2018 Nebraska

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Winning teams in bold:

Illinois at Clemson
Rutgers at Virginia Tech
Indiana at Wake Forest​
Duke at Wisconsin​
ACC leads, 3-2

ND transfer Ali Patberg leads the Hoosiers with 30 points on 8-11 shooting from the field (3-3 from three-point range) and 11-11 free throws. Also had 4 steals and assists. Soph. guard Jaelynn Penn (from Louisville area) right behind with 25.
Yes, they're playing against Wake, but looks like Patberg has her legs under her after her ACL injury and looking like the player MM wanted to play with/next to Lindsay Allen in the backcourt before Ali injured her knee.

Obviously, ND has done great in the backcourt since then, but will keep an eye out for Ali, who was -- by everything I've read and heard -- a very hard working student and player.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...Maryland is up 38-18 at halftime against GA Tech. Maybe not such a good matchup.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oops, GA Tech has come storming back. Within 10, nearing end up Q3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom