Thoughts on Syracuse game | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Syracuse game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts:
1. Impressed with the Orange - looks like they have some nice freshman who are playing well and a pretty balanced team. Their star center just had a really bad game - picking up quick fouls in both halves and never was a factor. They played pretty good pressure defense and caused some problems.
2. I thought the game was played in a good spirit - no cheap shots, physical, but not rough. Wanted this to be a separate point because there has been some bad blood, and I didn't see any sign of that today.
3. CD played a really good game. Would like to see her shoot a little more, but I think she has a calming influence on the team when she is in. Geno made a good choice putting her in the starting line-up - she gets them started off right.
4. Not Kelly's best game but still solid.
5. MJ and BB had pretty forgettable games - not terrible, just bleh. MT had a few nice moments on offense and pretty solid on defense.
6. Bria - quiet but effective game. Liked that she didn't force shots/drives when things weren't exactly clicking for her.
7. Nice bounce back for Stewart - liked the couple of 'and 1s' she made while getting bumped.
8. SD and KML - great games.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Diamond Defense Geno used tonite was terrific. Cuse is a really good team and being theyre starting and playing a bunch of underclassman Cuse will be heard next season in the ACC. I was very impressed with Cuse.

Game flow was good for Uconn. Still some sloppy turnovers but overall they looked good. IMO theyre still trying to get rid of the kinks of not playing together because of the past injuries and sickness. Their tempo was a little quick and rushed at times. They will be fine. I expect Monday nites game againest Duke will make them rise to the challange.

Today we saw exactly what this UConn team can do when they begin to click. Although it wasnt as balanced as some other games earlier in the season Stef Breanna and KML did their thing. Bria and Caroline showed good leadership today and made good decsions for the most part. Tucks move underneath showed what we have to look forward to over the coming weeks. My only wish is Kiah comes back Monday nite. I think our height and versatility underneath will be to much for Duke. Cuse was quick and athletic, Duke will have to be better from the outside and Im not sure their defense can keep up with us.

Tenn plays ND on Monday. I hate to say it but Im gonna have to root for Tenn in this one.

Reaction Score
KML is the best pure shooter Uconn has ever had. She doesn't make the hugely difficult shots like Diana, or the incredible acrobatic ones like Maya..but if she's open, I'm shocked if it doesn't go in.

Nice to see Stewart come back, and look great. She was struggling a bit.

Caroline was solid. She could be more aggressive on offense, but I understand her hesitancy when there are so many scorers on the team.

Kelly had a poor game by Kelly's standards. I wonder if the break has gotten her out of her game. (as tends to happen in January)

Bria..poor Bria. She doesn't know where she fits in, IMO. And she's not confident in her abilities. I'd rather have her more aggressive and making mistakes than this passive stuff she showed today. At the end of the day, as great as KML and Stewie are great but they're underclassmen, and Bria's our AA guard, we'll need her in the post season. I hope she gets her mind and body right by then.

Dolson was pretty good, missed some chippies she usually makes though.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
KML is the best pure shooter Uconn has ever had. She doesn't make the hugely difficult shots like Diana, or the incredible acrobatic ones like Maya..but if she's open, I'm shocked if it doesn't go in.

Nice to see Stewart come back, and look great. She was struggling a bit.

Caroline was solid. She could be more aggressive on offense, but I understand her hesitancy when there are so many scorers on the team.

Kelly had a poor game by Kelly's standards. I wonder if the break has gotten her out of her game. (as tends to happen in January)

Bria..poor Bria. She doesn't know where she fits in, IMO. And she's not confident in her abilities. I'd rather have her more aggressive and making mistakes than this passive stuff she showed today. At the end of the day, as great as KML and Stewie are great but they're underclassmen, and Bria's our AA guard, we'll need her in the post season. I hope she gets her mind and body right by then.

Dolson was pretty good, missed some chippies she usually makes though.

Looked to me at the game as if Bria rolled her ankle.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought that the Syracuse kids competed mightily and will give plenty of teams headaches.
My question is the stats of our starting backcourt.

Can UConn be a championship team with a combined 2 for 6 (5 points) from the starting backcourt with 5 TO's
Other numbers are more or less ok 8 boards (mostly Doty), 9 assists, 2 steals.
Whatever Bria's problems; physical, mental, or both, she is playing at a level never seen before.

She hit a big 3 at a crucial moment and Doty's drive to the hoop was welcome.

At what point does the development of the "young uns," take priority.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Dont forget weve been injured and sick. It takes time and patience when coming back. Bria was hurt in the summer give her time. Shes missed alot of practices and games. Today we didnt need the backcourt. Againest LVille Bria had a nice game as did our other guards. Whats great about this team is everybody can pick everybody else up. No weaknesses. No playing off one player. We have to take it game by game. MJ is looking good running the team. Her scoring will come around as she gets more playtime. Stokes is out again. I hope shes available for the Duke game. Tuck has some nice moves.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought that the Syracuse kids competed mightily and will give plenty of teams headaches.
My question is the stats of our starting backcourt.

Can UConn be a championship team with a combined 2 for 6 (5 points) from the starting backcourt with 5 TO's.

My answer is when you get 45 from your 4/5 and another 25 from your wing - yes you can be. Especially if they are running the show well.

I think we will have games where we need their scoring, but with especially SD and KLM going off like they were at 50% efficiency, I would rather CD and Bria feed them than shoot themselves. I actually think they both played really well and I would rather they be 2 of 6 when they are not 'on' than 6 of 18 or 8 of 24! They both played well on defense and delivered almost a 2 to 1 A/TO.

Reaction Score
Even though we "handed it" to Syracuse, I was pretty impressed by them, and think it's an injustice that they're unranked, given their record. We've played a few "ranked" teams this season that couldn't stay on the court with them. They're well-coached, aggressive, and, hell, they've got a couple of awesome hairstyles!!

Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts:
1. Impressed with the Orange - looks like they have some nice freshman who are playing well and a pretty balanced team. Their star center just had a really bad game - picking up quick fouls in both halves and never was a factor. They played pretty good pressure defense and caused some problems.
2. I thought the game was played in a good spirit - no cheap shots, physical, but not rough. Wanted this to be a separate point because there has been some bad blood, and I didn't see any sign of that today.
I especially liked these points. I wondered how they made it to 15-1, but it wasn't all smoke and mirrors. A few bank shots though... ;^)

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts:
3. CD played a really good game. Would like to see her shoot a little more, but I think she has a calming influence on the team when she is in. Geno made a good choice putting her in the starting line-up - she gets them started off right.
4. Not Kelly's best game but still solid.
5. MJ and BB had pretty forgettable games - not terrible, just bleh. MT had a few nice moments on offense and pretty solid on defense.
6. Bria - quiet but effective game. Liked that she didn't force shots/drives when things weren't exactly clicking for her.
7. Nice bounce back for Stewart - liked the couple of 'and 1s' she made while getting bumped.
8. SD and KML - great games.

Morgan Tuck played really well tonight. We are going to need a lot of good games from her as the season progresses. We especially need Morgan if Stokes is an infrequent participant. I hate to say it BUT -- I think the stress fractures are going to bother Kiah all year. TEARS.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Who said Kiah had a stress fracture?
Stress reaction - which is short of a stress fracture, but the same basic problem. Like a frequent sprained ankle it can become a lingering issue which generally does not fully recover without prolonged rest. Kiah, and Bria, and whatever is up with Morgan may not be fully healthy until the off season. (Not trying to be gloomy here, but realistically, we may have to get used to them missing a few games throughout the rest of the season.)

Reaction Score
Both teams played at a "mid-season" level, where the effects of daily practice and a game every 3-4 days showed. UCONN is higher ranked and deeper than 'Cuse.

Separate and apart from all that, I wanna say I enjoyed my FIRST BONEYARD MEET UP @ Sec. 118 near DunkinDonut, at halftime at the game!

That was truly enjoyable.

I want to give a special shout out to a boneyarder who introduced me to the group when I approached the area and simply picked him to ask as he appeared to be friendly and congenial. And so he was. He said he's a long time lurker and doesn't post. Perhaps that is because he is friendly and he is congenial?

I am just asking? :-p

It was a pleasure meeting Kibitzer and Doggy Daddy. I was tempted to ask for their autographs, for my granddaughters, of course, but I d'int. :)

As to ND v Tenn, I am assuming a ND win is better for UCONN in terms of RPI and such like and will therefore hope ND beats Tenn convincingly. This "hope" is not at all the same as rooting for ND. That I will not do.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Both teams played at a "mid-season" level, where the effects of daily practice and a game every 3-4 days showed. UCONN is higher ranked and deeper than 'Cuse.

Separate and apart from all that, I wanna say I enjoyed my FIRST BONEYARD MEET UP @ Sec. 118 near DunkinDonut, at halftime at the game!

I want to give a special shout out to a boneyarder who introduced me to the group when I approached the area and simply picked him to ask as he appeared to be friendly and congenial. And so he was. He said he's a long time lurker and doesn't post. Perhaps that is because he is friendly and he is congenial?

It was a pleasure meeting Kibitzer and Doggy Daddy. I was tempted to ask for their autographs, for my granddaughters, of course, but I d'int. :)

As to ND v Tenn, I am assuming a ND win is better for UCONN in terms of RPI and such like and will therefore hope ND beats Tenn convincingly. This "hope" is not at all the same as rooting for ND. That I will not do.

Great meeting you too, JP. I totally agree with your last paragraph. Go ND, kinda.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony, please say it ain't so! Root for Tenn over ND? Hell must be startin to freeze.
LOL this is one of those games I cant root for either team. Dislike them both.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
ND's going to kill them! You heard it here.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Those who watch this game will see a lot of Skylar Diggins and Meghan Simmons. The TV cameras will focus on one or the other for extended periods, interrpted occasionally by action of the game in progress.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score

You must have been talking about David, who is nice and friendly only because he doesn't post. It was typical of the 'Yard that on the day of the biggest crowd of the season, we had one of the smallest crowds of Boneyarders. Where was Nan and Tony and Danny? Sure Biff and Dogdad and Kib were there, but there was no-one there who really matters. Except that woman drinking a beer, of course!

Reaction Score
1. UConn got 70 of its 87 points from three players. Have to like that; Especially when your All American is not among the three.
2. As Coach Auriemma famously said a few years ago, "It is a mistake trying to coach someone else's team." Well, if allowed to make a mistake or two, one has to fault Coach Hillsman for not stressing the importance of keeping his star on the court, and for not constantly drumming that fact into his star's head. Coach Hillsman had to anticipate his star wanting to make a statement against the Big Eaast's top center and go into the game a bit overanxious. Coach Hillsman had to anticipate that the opposing coach, with all his success and savvy, would game plan to limit his star's effectiveness. Even a coach with no success or savvy would be game planning along those lines. Still, considering how demoralizing the early foul trouble had to be, Syracuse did manage to score 62 against a very good defensive team. In that regard, Coach Hillsman manages to get closer to even par; And has, likely, forgotten more basketball than I will ever know.
3. Going forward, I am concerned about offensive production from the backcourt. In close games against equally matched opponents, backcourt playmaking is essential. Looking back on the very few games UConn lost that they should not have, it was rarely because the front court did not produce.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

I am glad you resisted that temptation, but I wish we could have chatted a bit. After all these years (filled with pleasant memories and enduring friendships), some of us Boneyarders have gotten to where we can finish one another's sentences. We need and welcome new faces, new posters, and new insights. Join us again -- next game, same place -- and you may have the special pleasure of meeting Phil, Husky Nan, and even the incomparable Tony C.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
3. Going forward, I am concerned about offensive production from the backcourt. In close games against equally matched opponents, backcourt playmaking is essential. Looking back on the very few games UConn lost that they should not have, it was rarely because the front court did not produce.

Ok...so I'm lost here. Which games? What players? It's a general comment without much statistical basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom