Thoughts on Ray Allen/Bouknight | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Ray Allen/Bouknight

Reaction Score
With what's going on, I've been watching some old games. Many have been from Ray's time at UConn.

I think a lot of non-Uconn and some casual fans remember Ray as mostly a 3-point shooter, forget
their was a 'nastiness' to his offensive game that was impressive. He was aggressive as hell around the rim
and I loved the way he would dunk over people. He was never hesitant about putting someone on a poster.
You could clearly see the impact that Jordan had on him.

I would love to see JB with that type of aggressiveness at times. I think it's there. I just think Ray was
physically stronger at the same time. I think it will come as he gains strength.

Sorry, just bored here.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What was Ray's class during the games you watched? Sometimes it's a bit of an unfair comparison to measure a freshman against an upper class player.

Reaction Score
It's been a jumble of games. You can see the physical difference between seasons. But in even the old games, it seemed like there was a fierceness that he had on his way to the rim. You could also tell what point he was in his UConn career because by his junior year you could tell the word is out. In a few of the games, guys are literally quickly shuffling out of the way since they know they have no chance.
My statement was more about how Ray is remembered outside of CT. I just would like to see that kind of aggression out of Bouk as he gets older.
Part of it was also boredom on my part and watching these old game make me miss Ray playing with Ollie and Doron.

Reaction Score
The fact that people even compare Bouk to guys like Ray and Rip tells you how special he is. I say let him just be Bouk. Nobody in college I would rather have currently.
Bouk has a long way to go to be in the same category as Ray and Rip. They were two extremely hard workers. Is Bouk?

Reaction Score
The talent shines like the North Star.
He may have the physical talent but does he have the drive to reach the level of Ray or Rip? I don't like that he took the first half off in several games.

Reaction Score
He may have the physical talent but does he have the drive to reach the level of Ray or Rip? I don't like that he took the first half off in several games.
He was a freshman who had his season start a little late. The kid is an amazing talent. Give him a chance to develop. I'm pretty sure even Ray and Rip weren't always fantastic as freshmen.

Reaction Score

I don't think taking it off is necessarily the correct description. He did have trouble with getting into the flow no doubt but don't think he wasn't working hard. If we all remember we used to wonder about Shabazz in the first halves also. I think in this case he had so many foul trouble issues he didn't want to be sitting 2nd half so mentally he wasn't as aggressive first half.

He'll be fine needs to find his way I expect 1st halves to be much more aggressive in 2020-21.

Reaction Score
Bouk has a long way to go to be in the same category as Ray and Rip. They were two extremely hard workers. Is Bouk?

bouknight is known to work hard on his game. In comparison to those two, I have no idea

Reaction Score
I can’t comment on how hard Bouknight works vs Rip or Ray. But both of them were better players as freshmen. People forget how good RIP Hamilton was I think. Probably one of the top 3-4 players ever to wear a UConn uniform. Bouknight might get there eventually or he might not. But right now, as Bob Kennedy used to day, he couldn’t carry their jockstraps.

Reaction Score
I can’t comment on how hard Bouknight works vs Rip or Ray. But both of them were better players as freshmen. People forget how good RIP Hamilton was I think. Probably one of the top 3-4 players ever to wear a UConn uniform. Bouknight might get there eventually or he might not. But right now, as Bob Kennedy used to day, he couldn’t carry their jockstraps.
Actually James has similar freshman stats to both those 2 great players. But you haven't had anything positive to say about anything related to the team since I've been on the boneyard. btw I'm pretty sure Bouk wouldn't want to carry their jockstraps anyway.

Reaction Score
That really isn't true at all. You can maybe point to Ray and Rip playing a tougher schedule because they were in the Big East but they weren't any better than Bouknight as freshmen.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Bazz would routinely screw around until halftime the n still go out and drop 20. Did he not have drive?

Reaction Score
RIP really struggle at times during his first half of his freshmen year. He came on late. I think it was R. Jones that led the team in scoring most of that year until the last few weeks.

Reaction Score
Why are posters sleeping on Ben Gordon comparison? I really think Bouk is the closer to Ben, than the others. The big difference I think is that Bouk was deferring half the season to the upperclassmen. But skills and 'game wise' he looks like he has Ben Gordon potential.

Reaction Score
If we all remember we used to wonder about Shabazz in the first halves also.

One of my all-time favorite boneyard face palm moments was the thread titled, "Shabazz Napier is the Worst Starting PG in the Calhoun Era" or something like that. Some doozy posts in there.

People forget how good RIP Hamilton was I think. Probably one of the top 3-4 players ever to wear a UConn

I just said this in another post, but I'd argue he is the BEST player we have had in the JC era. Donyell may have had a better individual season, Ray may have been more graceful to watch, and Kemba may have the most valuable for an individual season, but Rip did everything and never backed down in the face of adversity. Even as a freshmen, when given the reins, he took it and ran. I can't say that about 'Yell, Ray, or Kemba. All have significant failures or moments where we were forced to doubt their mettle. 'Yell vs. Florida, Ray in the postseason in 96, and Kemba for the majority of his soph year deferring to Dyson, Sticks, etc.

Reaction Score
One of my all-time favorite boneyard face palm moments was the thread titled, "Shabazz Napier is the Worst Starting PG in the Calhoun Era" or something like that. Some doozy posts in there.

I just said this in another post, but I'd argue he is the BEST player we have had in the JC era. Donyell may have had a better individual season, Ray may have been more graceful to watch, and Kemba may have the most valuable for an individual season, but Rip did everything and never backed down in the face of adversity. Even as a freshmen, when given the reins, he took it and ran. I can't say that about 'Yell, Ray, or Kemba. All have significant failures or moments where we were forced to doubt their mettle. 'Yell vs. Florida, Ray in the postseason in 96, and Kemba for the majority of his soph year deferring to Dyson, Sticks, etc.

RIP is certainly in the discussion for greatest UConn player, no doubt. Picking between him Kemba, Shabazz, Emeka and Ray is nitpicking. All were superb.

Reaction Score
RIP is certainly in the discussion for greatest UConn player, no doubt. Picking between him Kemba, Shabazz, Emeka and Ray is nitpicking. All were superb.

I've had a few too many so I'm game! I'd argue Rip is our best ever... Our best player for three straight years including a final eight and natty and if I had to have one guy take a big shot, it would be him.

After that (I was too young for Corny T, Hanson, and only remember brief moments of Uncle Spliffy...)

Emeka - Champion and dominant player on both sides of the ball...
Kemba - Carried a team to a 'ship like few others have ever done and was the 6th man on another FF team...
Ray - Ridiculously graceful and effortless with three superb years - but no championship and his jr. tourney performance was pretty poor...
Ben G - I think he's actually underrated. At times, was utterly dominant and was the best scorer on a championship team.
Bazz - Bookended championships but a pretty perplexing sophomore year where he was doubted.
Donyell - Arguably the best individual year we've had, but his teams underachieved for three years.
Smitty - JCs first major recruit - great soph year w/ dream season but teams peaked too early and disappointed with him as PG in jr. and sr. year. Lasting memory is him being benched in his final game; a blowout vs. Ohio St.
Khalid - Arguably our most important recruit of the established UConn ever. His presence made us a champion.
Caron - Tremendous player who almost carried us to a FF.
Burrell - Super underrated guy for four years. Was essentially a "4" on the dream team and a "2" guard by the time he graduated. Best athlete ever?
Boat - Very good four-year career and a champion.
Doron - People forget just how good he was. The long outlet pass off a make was beyond beautiful.
Rudy - Overlooked two-year stint. We haven't had many first team AAs, and he was one of them.
AJP - Again, a very underrated player. Poor "freshmen" year but his injury against San Diego magnified his importance and his resilience is second-to-none.
Thabeet - Our highest draft pick ever and two pretty dominant years. It wasn't always pretty, but he was a force.
Jeff A - Have not had many double-double guys in our history and he was 13 and 9 for three straight years.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone?

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm forgetting someone?
Awesome list. I would add K Freeman. Heart of a champion (actual champion), tremendous rebounder for his size, super athletic, and Jeff A toughness level.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Was just looking at Ray’s Uconn teams. I understand that he didn’t get to a FF, but the Big East record is staggering. In his 3 years, we won 3 regular season crowns and the iconic BET win. Those teams were 49-5 in the league! Insane.

Reaction Score
Awesome list. I would add K Freeman. Heart of a champion (actual champion), tremendous rebounder for his size, super athletic, and Jeff A toughness level.

I think Donny would've been my next guy, then KFree, and Ricky. The "issue" I have with KFree is that his senior year was just a huge disappointment. Whether the rumors are true that he was threatening to transfer if he didn't get to play the 3 are true or not, him playing that position hamstrung the team. I felt like JC was overly loyal to him in that regard and it hurt the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom