Thoughts from courtside - UCONN vs. UCLA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts from courtside - UCONN vs. UCLA

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The other 3 freshmen they will likely not emerge beyond Meg Walker for this year. The freshmen (not Walker) were not top 5 recruits. Coombs had one or two services high - but if one just one recruit isn't playing well yet does it make things that bad? - so maybe she is a bt This year don't count on it. Meg Walker is probably better long term as frosh than Danger was last year. I expect by the end of the season Camara will be at worst equal to what Nat gave - and now throw in if Lou is healthy - and UCONN has AZ. Last year there was no AZ quality off the bench.

I didn't agree with your high expectations of the freshmen other than Walker (I had Coombs playing about 8 minutes) and if you had any of Molly and Kyla. Now I think you might be going overboard the other way by not expecting Camara to help by the end of the season. Maybe she doesn't. But with AZ and Walker and a healthy Lou, we're stronger bench-wise than we were last year. Geno said for example after Miss State he couldn't trust Danger. Right now it looks like he can easily trust AZ and probably will be able to trust Walker to an extent. Walker was a more highly rated recruit than Danger. And they both produced in big games as frosh early. But Danger was the 1st off the bench last year while Walker will be at more-than-likely 2nd.

I love the freshmen. I think the expectations beyond Meg Walker for these frosh to get into the rotation and also the expectation that these freshmen won't get whipped early into the year especially vs the talented teams UCONN has played against is completely unreasonable. Just because they put on a UCONN jersey doesn't immediately transform the player into Wonder Woman. As freshmen, they are going to get their butts kicked a lot. If a player is 30th ranked as h/s senior, then it means there are an enormous amount of seniors and juniors that are better plus many sophomores. A few weeks of practice isn't going to change that either.
I agree that the other freshmen won't surpass Megan this season--or possibly ever. After watching the Jordan Brand game, I thought that Mikayla could be a big surprise. I still think that she may get more playing time this year--for example, first half in conference games--and the same for Andi. What Mikayla has in her favor is an elite level of athleticism. We are only 4 games into a 29-game regular season. The frosh still have 3+ months to improve. I think the hierarchy of the frosh is clear for now, but it could change, and players can move up or possibly down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson
Top Bottom