This year's roster will solve last season's "problems"... | The Boneyard

This year's roster will solve last season's "problems"...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Gabby vs NB.jpeg

Let me state upfront that a team that had a 36-1 record and played fabulously all season, doesn't really have serious "problems" that need correcting. Especially, when they return 4 starters. Geno and company did the best they could, with the players they had, and the results were far more than was expected. That said, there were a few areas of "concern" that seem to be addressed with this coming season's roster. Here are five areas that may be "corrected" or at least improved on...

1. Height - The reality is UConn started a 5'11" center and 6'1" power forward last year. They both played extremely well, but I'm sure having an additional 6'6" starter (Yes, I think Z will start.) will help reverse the 19.5% increase in offensive rebounds by opponents. (483 last year vs 404 prior) The loss of Butler will hurt a bit, but the addition of 6'2" Batouly Camara, a more seasoned 6'2" Kyla Irwin and the new uber athletic freshman, including 6'1" Megan Walker, will add size and athletic ability to the squad. To the extent UConn was a bit short, replacing 5'8" Saniya with 6'6" Azura at least makes the line up taller. :cool:

2. Bench Depth - UConn had four players average between 31.8 - 30.2 minutes per game. The 5th starter, Gabby average 29.1 per game. (The prior season, only Moriah played 30 minutes per game.) In total, those five were on the court 73.8% of the total minutes available. The top bench players only had 733, 564 and 288 minutes on the floor, mostly in one sided games. This season, the four starters and the top sub/sometimes starter (Crystal) return. The other two freshman, who averaged only 9 and 7 minutes, are now sophomores. Two exceptional transfers, with a season of practice under their belts, are now eligible. Plus, the Huskies add four talented newcomers, bringing Geno's bench to 13 athletic and/or seasoned players. Graduating 2, while adding 6 makes the bench depth awesome. :D

3. Turnovers - The top three players in turnovers last season were Gabby (86), Katie Lou (69) and Crystal 53). Kia and Napheesa weren't far behind with 50 and 48 respectively. (Butler had 51, but is gone.) Those five players were all underclassmen, and no doubt will improve this part of their game. Turnovers come from sloppy passes, fatigue, not working together long enough and trying to hard. Gabby and Kia are now seniors, and the other three are all a year older, wiser and familiar with the system. Bold prediction, turnovers drop from the 12 per game average.

4. Full court press - The problem in this area last season was Geno couldn't use it much. Not an issue this season with 13 possible players to use. Imagine Geno bringing in Crystal or Megan against opponents who just battled Gabby (100 steals), Pheesa (64 steals) and Katie Lou (56 steals) for 12 brutal minutes of high tempo basketball. Only now, the battle is full court and the Huskies ain't tired yet. :p

5. Fatigue - I admit UConn players are in ultra top shape and can run longer than most teams. But, honestly, there were games last season where the starters were tired and it showed. Without foul trouble, Collier may never have left the floor last season. ;) Katie Lou played 31.8 minutes per game! (31 may also be the number of times per game she was held, pushed and fouled.) Even an 8 player rotation would significantly spell the starters and leave UConn even fresher late in the games. As well as they played when tired, that is just scary to think about. :rolleyes:

Five of the top six players from a 36-1 season return this year. Two talented transfers are now ready to go. Two other freshman are now seasoned. And four very athletic and talented newbies are in the house and ready to prove their worth. This should be fun to watch...:)

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
I know better than argue with you, Oldude, JoeP, and a dozen others --I'm from amateur land in comparison/reality-- HOWEVER--the comment Butler will be miss a bit--was a nice thing to say--I say it too-- but, no disrespect, honestly, she was what she was and she won't be needed and had she stayed--it would have been painful watching. She is a super nice kid, worked hard, gave her all in every game --probably every practice--I've said too much already on Natalie.
Your title to this thread---is the truest truism I have read in a very long time---
Again--HOWEVER--how many games will Azura actually be needed to win?? 4, 5, 6---more???
It will be a pleasure to have an offensive and defensive back stop--if that is how Geno shall use her--

You posting is accurate on the use of a Pressing Defense- To that Add your FATiGUE paragraph --and we may have the Miss St game riddle answered. Players that played as many minutes and as hard, in games and practices , as these kids played--Fatigue--is the worry for teams like this one--going into the NCAA"s---Geno tends to give extra time off that time of the year--but maybe those poor tired legs (causes shooting issues) and mental state
had an effect!! Supposition to a question I'll never know the answer to unless it's one of your test.s.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with everything suggested by DNaples and others about this year's roster solving last year's problems, but as a founding member of the Contrarian party, I must point out a problem with this year's roster.

There are just too many good players. No joke. Last year, UConn set an all-time NCAA assist record, operating like a beautiful basketball symphony with 5 players averaging around 30 minutes or more, and only 1 or 2 reserves playing key minutes. On the defensive end the Huskies switching/help defense was usually flawless.

The Husky starters were in great condition and they played together beautifully as a team. This year, Geno is going to have to figure out his rotation from a wealth of talented players, and those players will have to learn to mesh with each other. That process will take time and at times it won't be pretty.

My apologies for being a killjoy. :(

Reaction Score
I agree with everything suggested by DNaples and others about this year's roster solving last year's problems, but as a founding member of the Contrarian party, I must point out a problem with this year's roster.

There are just too many good players. No joke. Last year, UConn set an all-time NCAA assist record, operating like a beautiful basketball symphony with 5 players averaging around 30 minutes or more, and only 1 or 2 reserves playing key minutes. On the defensive end the Huskies switching/help defense was usually flawless.

The Husky starters were in great condition and they played together beautifully as a team. This year, Geno is going to have to figure out his rotation from a wealth of talented players, and those players will have to learn to mesh with each other. That process will take time and at times it won't be pretty.

Are you apologizing for agreeing?? No disconnect with what you say and David said---as I see it.
Unless you think the addition of Z will not be a significant plus with some teams. From your postings you -too are high on Z. No kill joy---seen.

Your paragraphs were a pleasure to read---especially the 3rd one Is it not possible Geno and Christine agrees with you --and are bonding /chemistry/ etc in Italy????

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have no great thoughts about the coming season. It will be fascinating to watch the first half unfold. I do have a potential issue which I hope is not an issue at all. It's Crystal. If she doesn't start and I think most of those who have opined see her not starting, will she deal with it and keep growing. I hope she absolutely smashes it in the U19s and that will help.

Reaction Score
Thank you DavidinNaples for including Irwin and Bent as players who may be counted on. Most others seem to look over them. I think that is a mistake.

I really like Irwin. I think she can be a solid player I just don't see the minutes. Hopefully she earns them thevold fashion way by playing great in practice and making the most of her time in game action.

Bent has little chance. So sorry.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
3. Turnovers - The top three players in turnovers last season were Gabby (86), Katie Lou (69) and Crystal 53). Kia and Napheesa weren't far behind with 50 and 48 respectively. (Butler had 51, but is gone.) Those five players were all underclassmen, and no doubt will improve this part of their game.

Sorry to pick nits, but Kia and Gabby were not underclassmen, they were juniors. (Underclassmen are freshmen and sophomores.)

Reaction Score
I have no great thoughts about the coming season. It will be fascinating to watch the first half unfold. I do have a potential issue which I hope is not an issue at all. It's Crystal. If she doesn't start and I think most of those who have opined see her not starting, will she deal with it and keep growing. I hope she absolutely smashes it in the U19s and that will help.

Wow! Something that never entered my feeble brain! However, she may not start or not start often,
loads of questions related to that supposition!! Crystal to me is the kind of kid that will continue to grow her game. Unfortunately, it appears, she is Not in the same position Moriah was in with Stew, Tuck , Moriah days. Interesting comment. Bet on this--she'll make an impact in U19's.

Reaction Score
I really like Irwin. I think she can be a solid player I just don't see the minutes. Hopefully she earns them thevold fashion way by playing great in practice and making the most of her time in game action.

Bent has little chance. So sorry.
==J-Guy--pretty early in their soph year to make that assessment--abt chances--
You cannot be too wrong on minutes with the load of personnel --I suggest, from viewing Geno for 30 years--that if his Sophs grow and produce, their chances of playing usually exceed those new to his processes--all of that goes away however if any of the new guys --hit the floor running (I think that may be true of Megan--others???)

Reaction Score
==J-Guy--pretty early in their soph year to make that assessment--abt chances--
You cannot be too wrong on minutes with the load of personnel --I suggest, from viewing Geno for 30 years--that if his Sophs grow and produce, their chances of playing usually exceed those new to his processes--all of that goes away however if any of the new guys --hit the floor running (I think that may be true of Megan--others???)

Yup. But that's what we as fans due on a board is speculate and usually end up wrong. I personally want MB to succeed.
Just my unprofessional opinion sitting here in AC on vacation in July.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Are you apologizing for agreeing?? No disconnect with what you say and David said---as I see it.
Unless you think the addition of Z will not be a significant plus with some teams. From your postings you -too are high on Z. No kill joy---seen.

Your paragraphs were a pleasure to read---especially the 3rd one Is it not possible Geno and Christine agrees with you --and are bonding /chemistry/ etc in Italy????
Wow! Just realized how important the trip is to this team. How it provides such a boost to the all important chemistry factor. This is specially important for a team that plays its toughest schedule first.

Now my question is did this come about because of the brilliance of the staff or just Husky Luck?

Reaction Score

Geno coached the Olympic team. Do you think this year's team is more talented than the Olympic team? Yet, all the Olympians were happy with the gold medal and they were truly happy together as a team, regardless of minutes. They only had a couple of games to mesh.

Reaction Score
View attachment 23581

Let me state upfront that a team that had a 36-1 record and played fabulously all season, doesn't really have serious "problems" that need correcting. Especially, when they return 4 starters. Geno and company did the best they could, with the players they had, and the results were far more than was expected. That said, there were a few areas of "concern" that seem to be addressed with this coming season's roster. Here are five areas that may be "corrected" or at least improved on...

1. Height - The reality is UConn started a 5'11" center and 6'1" power forward last year. They both played extremely well, but I'm sure having an additional 6'6" starter (Yes, I think Z will start.) will help reverse the 19.5% increase in offensive rebounds by opponents. (483 last year vs 404 prior) The loss of Butler will hurt a bit, but the addition of 6'2" Batouly Camara, a more seasoned 6'2" Kyla Irwin and the new uber athletic freshman, including 6'1" Megan Walker, will add size and athletic ability to the squad. To the extent UConn was a bit short, replacing 5'8" Saniya with 6'6" Azura at least makes the line up taller. :cool:

2. Bench Depth - UConn had four players average between 31.8 - 30.2 minutes per game. The 5th starter, Gabby average 29.1 per game. (The prior season, only Moriah played 30 minutes per game.) In total, those five were on the court 73.8% of the total minutes available. The top bench players only had 733, 564 and 288 minutes on the floor, mostly in one sided games. This season, the four starters and the top sub/sometimes starter (Crystal) return. The other two freshman, who averaged only 9 and 7 minutes, are now sophomores. Two exceptional transfers, with a season of practice under their belts, are now eligible. Plus, the Huskies add four talented newcomers, bringing Geno's bench to 13 athletic and/or seasoned players. Graduating 2, while adding 6 makes the bench depth awesome. :D

3. Turnovers - The top three players in turnovers last season were Gabby (86), Katie Lou (69) and Crystal 53). Kia and Napheesa weren't far behind with 50 and 48 respectively. (Butler had 51, but is gone.) Those five players were all underclassmen, and no doubt will improve this part of their game. Turnovers come from sloppy passes, fatigue, not working together long enough and trying to hard. Gabby and Kia are now seniors, and the other three are all a year older, wiser and familiar with the system. Bold prediction, turnovers drop from the 12 per game average.

4. Full court press - The problem in this area last season was Geno couldn't use it much. Not an issue this season with 13 possible players to use. Imagine Geno bringing in Crystal or Megan against opponents who just battled Gabby (100 steals), Pheesa (64 steals) and Katie Lou (56 steals) for 12 brutal minutes of high tempo basketball. Only now, the battle is full court and the Huskies ain't tired yet. :p

5. Fatigue - I admit UConn players are in ultra top shape and can run longer than most teams. But, honestly, there were games last season where the starters were tired and it showed. Without foul trouble, Collier may never have left the floor last season. ;) Katie Lou played 31.8 minutes per game! (31 may also be the number of times per game she was held, pushed and fouled.) Even an 8 player rotation would significantly spell the starters and leave UConn even fresher late in the games. As well as they played when tired, that is just scary to think about. :rolleyes:

Five of the top six players from a 36-1 season return this year. Two talented transfers are now ready to go. Two other freshman are now seasoned. And four very athletic and talented newbies are in the house and ready to prove their worth. This should be fun to watch...:)

Go Huskies..!!
David - always appreciate your input...and this one was, spot on!:D

Reaction Score
Yup. But that's what we as fans due on a board is speculate and usually end up wrong. I personally want MB to succeed.
Just my unprofessional opinion sitting here in AC on vacation in July.

I could get arguie (new word) about not having seen any of the former frosh or new frosh practicing or playing in a UConn Uniform or at the Div 1 level--
But being broad minded--I will not seek that opportunity. (I have recently taken a course in Political communications)

Please note --at no time did the word---speculate--leave my fingers--assessment isn't speculation.
I too must admit to --since I am not paid to put words to this computer--I'm nonprofessional.
Whether Molly, Irwin, or any of the New 4 succeed--is up to them--Geno saw something in all of them-or they'd be attending Notre Dame--
From the tiny amount written on Molly--she is doing well--I, will , with her as all the new guys wait to see how they fare under Geno's directives.

Reaction Score
We should have the same "problems" as last year.

At the beginning of last season I looked at team and schedule and saw a rebuilding year with maybe 4 OOC losses. I would have been very happy with just another final 4 appearance. Instead we get an undefeated regular season with the toughest OOC schedule. Lose in national semifinal in one of the great upsets of all time.

I believe additional depth will be our biggest addition. Less dependence on the returning 4 and ability to play end to end defense. Can't wait for season !!!

Reaction Score

Huh????

Do you mean "the process" of staying in the game vs UCONN will be only limited to at tops to about 4 teams?

Do you mean "it won't be pretty" for nearly every team that UCONN plays?

Reaction Score
Wow! Just realized how important the trip is to this team. How it provides such a boost to the all important chemistry factor. This is specially important for a team that plays its toughest schedule first.

Now my question is did this come about because of the brilliance of the staff or just Husky Luck?
You haven't been following Christine Dailey for upteen years , have you? Christine is the camp co-coordinator, counselor, cheer leader-and Mother CD--she also mixes and matches hotel rooms, on the road to get "chemistry going".
Now I'm not sure whether Geno concocted this to just get a trip to the homeland or what--but I on solid ground saying CD set up activities, roomies, games, trips, dinners all to create TEAM Chemistry and to keep frictions to a minimum.
This is NOT her first (team chemistry ) rodeo!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Huh????

Do you mean "the process" of staying in the game vs UConn will be only limited to at tops to about 4 teams?

Do you mean "it won't be pretty" for nearly every team that UConn plays?
To clarify. I agree that this year's roster will solve most of last year's problems, but the sheer number of talented players on this year's roster will create a new problem. It will take time for all the pieces to work together smoothly, and at times UConn's offense & defense won't be pretty. By the end of the year, I expect the Huskies to be firing on all cylinders.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno coached the Olympic team. Do you think this year's team is more talented than the Olympic team? Yet, all the Olympians were happy with the gold medal and they were truly happy together as a team, regardless of minutes. They only had a couple of games to mesh.
You're talking about the very best team in the world comprised of grown women vs a group of teenagers and young ladies. I have no doubt that Geno will eventually figure it out, but I'm guessing he would tell you that it's much easier with a mature group of extremely talented professionals vs a group of college kids, four of which are just out of HS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom