This year's roster will solve last season's "problems"... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This year's roster will solve last season's "problems"...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both DavidinNaples and Oldude hit it right!

The height issue will not be an issue. And the chemistry issue, which is every year, will work itself out. Italy will be a start as will the early part of the season. Minutes for all will be earned in practice, we all know that will not change.

A lot to look forward to as we head into the fall.

Reaction Score
You're talking about the very best team in the world comprised of grown women vs a group of teenagers and young ladies. I have no doubt that Geno will eventually figure it out, but I'm guessing he would tell you that it's much easier with a mature group of extremely talented professionals vs a group of college kids, four of which are just out of HS.

Basically it is out of Geno's hands. You wait in line and if you are too impatient, you transfer. Geno is not going to bend over backward to keep everyone happy. He is here to win and you can see that in the NCAA tournaments. He rarely used more than 7 players. He will experiment some during the year to find the 7 players he can trust comes tournament time. Those in line will move up the next year when the seniors graduate. And the championships keep piling up in his office.

Reaction Score
-- HOWEVER--the comment Butler will be miss a bit--was a nice thing to say--I say it too-- but, no disrespect, honestly, she was what she was and she won't be needed and had she stayed--it would have been painful watching. She is a super nice kid, worked hard, gave her all in every game --probably every practice--I've said too much already on Natalie.
I agree Natalie will be missed and I hated to see her go. She was always giving her all and she provided a solid performance in giving the starters a break. Her 15 foot jumper and solid body around the hoop and foul shooting was invaluable. Yes, next year her role would have been diminished and I don't begrudge her leaving. Wishing her the best.

Reaction Score
The biggest improvement will be big-game experience.

Collier, Kia, and Lou all appeared overwhelmed by the moment and the stage, without the security blankets of Stewie, Moriah, and Tuck.

That won't be the case this year.

Reaction Score
Basically it is out of Geno's hands. You wait in line and if you are too impatient, you transfer. Geno is not going to bend over backward to keep everyone happy. He is here to win and you can see that in the NCAA tournaments. He rarely used more than 7 players. He will experiment some during the year to find the 7 players he can trust comes tournament time. Those in line will move up the next year when the seniors graduate. And the championships keep piling up in his office.

"GENO is not going to BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO KEEP EVERYONE HAPPY"???? Some truth to that--but if you give Geno 100 percent all the time--he'll give you 100. Back about 2000 Geno had an abundance of skilled players (for the time) and there was some grumbling (I think some foreign young lady had a lot to say --if you see Shea you could ask her--) Geno and Christine (CD) accommodated those on that team--and not a single transfer occurred.

With Geno never say never--if you do you may be wrong--if he has personnel that work hard in practice and in games--are less in the complaining mode--I believe he'll try to give them SOME minutes if that will make them happy. Everyone likes to work with people that are up beat and do the job. Geno is not callus, he is not without a heart--he has a temper--and he expects you to work .
Geno won't keep you if you want to go---he has for some, (no facts) I believe he recommended or showed them their futures for them to leave--some jumped ship prematurely--even with departing personnel he has been generous, some not all.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything suggested by DNaples and others about this year's roster solving last year's problems, but as a founding member of the Contrarian party, I must point out a problem with this year's roster.

There are just too many good players. No joke. Last year, UConn set an all-time NCAA assist record, operating like a beautiful basketball symphony with 5 players averaging around 30 minutes or more, and only 1 or 2 reserves playing key minutes. On the defensive end the Huskies switching/help defense was usually flawless.

The Husky starters were in great condition and they played together beautifully as a team. This year, Geno is going to have to figure out his rotation from a wealth of talented players, and those players will have to learn to mesh with each other. That process will take time and at times it won't be pretty.

My apologies for being a killjoy. :(

OD, when Kia came to UConn as a freshman there were a total of 8 guards on the team. Several were talented enough to start somewhere, but how many could reasonably play for the Huskies? Well, things shook themselves pretty well. One guard left early, one switched to forward, another wasn't very special, and Saniya lost her starting job to Kia. It's entirely possible that some of the 4 newbies will not make the grade. You have to figure that Megan will see a bunch of playing time (the question is where). Crystal will come off the bench early. Last year's freshman will play little (unless there are many blow-outs, which I expect); they won't see quality time. As Naples Dave explained so well, all of the problems that threatened UConn last year will be distant memories. "Fun" will be a mild term for what the future augers. (We may even get to relax.)

Reaction Score
OD, when Kia came to UConn as a freshman there were a total of 8 guards on the team. Several were talented enough to start somewhere, but how many could reasonably play for the Huskies? Well, things shook themselves pretty well. One guard left early, one switched to forward, another wasn't very special, and Saniya lost her starting job to Kia. It's entirely possible that some of the 4 newbies will not make the grade. You have to figure that Megan will see a bunch of playing time (the question is where). Crystal will come off the bench early. Last year's freshman will play little (unless there are many blow-outs, which I expect); they won't see quality time. As Naples Dave explained so well, all of the problems that threatened UConn last year will be distant memories. "Fun" will be a mild term for what the future augers. (We may even get to relax.)
I think it is less rare to have the Team shred out as you pointed out --than to have a group like Stew, Tuck , Moriah ---.
How this group of kids work out is in the hands of the Basketball Gods--or Geno--or both.
I like to take the belief that all the new guys and our Sophs SHALL work out---there is a bit of talent there. If these kids realize that 2 or 3 of this team will/may leave in April 18--they can concentrate on being top dogs and learning. They won't know until Nov if any new recruits will be coming to Uconn and how that may impact them. My advice to them would be --hang around you may be pleasantly surprised--and get a WNBA contract to boot (think Saniya)

Reaction Score
You're talking about the very best team in the world comprised of grown women vs a group of teenagers and young ladies. I have no doubt that Geno will eventually figure it out, but I'm guessing he would tell you that it's much easier with a mature group of extremely talented professionals vs a group of college kids, four of which are just out of HS.

I think you are seeing dangerous ghosts in your own home that don't exist. But your welcome to come jump aboard anytime without fear anytime my fellow Husky friend!!!! :):):)

Reaction Score
Geno when he first coached the USA WBB Team said he says the USA Olympic Coaches prayer before each game.
"Please God don't let me screw this up!" Except he didn't say "screw this up!"
He insisted that having the 12 greatest players in the world you don't need to reinvent the wheel, give them discipline, organization, and some offensive and defensive ideas and let their natural abilities take over inside his scheme!
Remember even Anne Donovan won an Olympic Championship!
Coaching his UCONN Team is a different situation all together. The girls come in with bad habits, skill and practice habits for example, so his staff has more work to do to get everyone on the same page and keep them there all season!

Reaction Score
I really like Irwin. I think she can be a solid player I just don't see the minutes. Hopefully she earns them thevold fashion way by playing great in practice and making the most of her time in game action.

Bent has little chance. So sorry.[/QUOTE

For Bent and Irwin to succeed off the bench, they HAVE to develop killer attitudes and superior fitness. No more, "just happy to have been recruited", they have to get mean, clawing on defense and banging underneath. Molly showed promise passing and on defense. Irwin at times demonstrated mid-range touch. Whatever potential each has, must be magnified by desire and mental toughness. Maybe it takes being overlooked by everyone predicting they are looking at three-year splinters. If they have any pride, now would be the time to look beyond handing out towels and water bottles.

Reaction Score

According to Rocky, the Courant, Alexi---Molly and Lou set the physical standards-
I had/have hopes for Molly--even Geno liked Molly--her defense and reluctance to shoot when she was open got her too much sitting time--she will have had time to speak long with Geno and Shea and know what she has to do to get PT---Defend, team play, shoot and SCORE (score is big), know what you see and take advantage of it--instantly. There is more but this alone will get PT.

Reaction Score
Geno when he first coached the USA WBB Team said he says the USA Olympic Coaches prayer before each game.
"Please God don't let me screw this up!" Except he didn't say "screw this up!"
He insisted that having the 12 greatest players in the world you don't need to reinvent the wheel, give them discipline, organization, and some offensive and defensive ideas and let their natural abilities take over inside his scheme!
Remember even Anne Donovan won an Olympic Championship!
Coaching his UConn Team is a different situation all together. The girls come in with bad habits, skill and practice habits for example, so his staff has more work to do to get everyone on the same page and keep them there all season!

This is the same posting I would have made --but you said it better--Pro players just are not Brand New College recruits or even Sophs.
When Davidin and Oldude "like" your posting--great minds in the same channel--etc..

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You haven't been following Christine Dailey for upteen years , have you? Christine is the camp co-coordinator, counselor, cheer leader-and Mother CD--she also mixes and matches hotel rooms, on the road to get "chemistry going".
Now I'm not sure whether Geno concocted this to just get a trip to the homeland or what--but I on solid ground saying CD set up activities, roomies, games, trips, dinners all to create TEAM Chemistry and to keep frictions to a minimum.
This is NOT her first (team chemistry ) rodeo!!
Personal foul - inaccurate assumption. Been following the team since I read the article in the NewLondon Day about Geno being hired. I originally got him confused with a coach at Ledyard High

JS

Reaction Score
How this group of kids work out is in the hands of the Basketball Gods--or Geno--or both.

What's the difference? ;)
Difference is, the Basketball Gods report to Geno.

Geno
HZf3rBWR_400x400.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom