This week's poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This week's poll

Reaction Score
I do not have a problem with the rankings. First it does not matter at this point and secondly, UConn has not played great before the loss. Even though we beat ND it does not secure a spot over them for the rest of the year. We are over Baylor who we just lost to so cannot have it both ways. Most of all, while I am 100% behind UConn, I can be objective and say that they are not playing like #1 right now. It's okay because they are human and lost and now have to correct some things. I still trust and believe they will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the UCONN Fans complaining I get it. But outside of that UCONN Game for ND. Look at the rest of their resume and what they’ve done. And then look at how UCONN has looked recently. Will find out more Thursday when ND plays Louisville. But since that UCONN Game and even before that when they weren’t playing at their best they were beating teams pretty handily. But ever since that UCONN Game they’ve been crushing teams. They completely whipped a Marquette Team on the road that gave Miss St. a game. They’ve been playing a lot of the Bench midway through the 3rd Quarter in a lot of these games because the game is in hand. If You look at the entirety of the season. Outside of the UCONN Game and the first half against Oregon St. They’ve dominated and it’s not like they’ve dominated with a weak schedule. They’ve played a pretty tough schedule. I’ve went back and forth with this. This would be a different story I feel if Louisville or UCONN looked more dominate or if Baylor didn’t lose to Stanford they’d be Number 1. But if You look at Consistency. ND has been the most consistent against Some tough competition.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This situation comes up all the time on the men’s side. When the #1 team loses they almost always drop. Even if it means another team with the same number of losses moves ahead of them. It’s not always fair or logical, but such is recency bias.

I wouldn’t even want UConn to have stayed at #1. Let Notre Dame and Louisville duke it out for the privilege to wear the top ranking. Let UConn relish the status of minor underdog. It might just work in our favor.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There is no formula for how to do rankings. It is ENTIRELY based on context.

Maryland, even moreso than Louisville, is an unknown so it gets penalized heavily for a loss.

Tenn, in contrast, won at now-#11 Texas. The Horns have done nothing remarkable since then, so there's little reason for them to be far from TN in the ranks. And with #12, 15, 16, 18 losing, just who is Tn supposed to fall behind?
There are some definite frauds in the top 25 who shouldn't even be there and then there are those that are over-ranked in the polls. Texas is more over-ranked than Tennessee and should be in the low 20's in my estimation. Tenn should be in the mid teens (15-17 range).
Here's my 2 cents on the ratings:
1. ND-s/be #3
2. Louisville-s/be #4 still haven't played a team higher than #19 so the polls have it's right that they should be behind ND, they just screwed up having ND as #1.
3. UConn s/be #1 still
4. Baylor s/be #4
5. Oregon s/be #6, less impressive wins than Stanford
6. Stanford s/be #5
7. MSU s/b#7
8. NC State s/b#8
9. MD s/be #15 as their schedule, once again is pathetic and they lost at home to Rutgers
10. Oregon St s/be#9
11. Texas s/be #21, they lost to MSU & Tenn at home. Best win was yesterday at WVU as they have played NO ONE else even remotely good.
12. Syracuse s/be #12
13. Tenn s/be#17
14. Gonzaga s/be #10 as they beat Stanford and only lost to ND
15. Marquette s/be#18 while best loss was to MSU, other games vs. Miami and ND weren't particular close
16. Kentucky s/by #11 as they have performed better than Tenn, Texas, MD, Syracuse
17. Iowa s/be #14, Massey has them at 18 with SOS of #7 only "bad losss" is at home vs. FSU (not so bad)
18. Minn s/be not even in the top 25, this team is over ranked due to Whelan, their Massey rating is #46 with SOS of #129!
19. ASU s/be #13, with good losses vs. Baylor/Louisville, good win @ Utah, bad loss vs. AZ
20. Iowa State s/be #16 as Massey has them at #12 but they did lose to Iowa and SD State so behind Iowa seems right-plus, they get great fan support!
21. South Carolina s/b#22 behind Texas.
22. FSU s/be #19 ahead of Tex, Minn, SC
23. Mich St s/be #23
24. Cal s/be not even in top 25
25 Indiana s/be #23 with quality wins over UCLA, SD and Mich St
NR Miami s/be #24
NR Mizzou s/be #25 given their win over a still decent Tenn team, plus the top 25 needs another villain with Sophie fitting the bill!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are some definite frauds in the top 25 who shouldn't even be there and then there are those that are over-ranked in the polls. Texas is more over-ranked than Tennessee and should be in the low 20's in my estimation. Tenn should be in the mid teens (15-17 range).
1. ND-s/be #3
2. Louisville-s/be #4 still haven't played a team higher than #19 so the polls have it right that they should be behind ND, they just screwed up having ND as #1.
3. UConn s/be #1 still
4. Baylor s/be #4
6. Stanford s/be #5
7. MSU s/b#7
8. NC State s/b#8
9. MD s/be #15 as their schedule, once again is pathetic and they lost at home to Rutgers
10. Oregon St s/be#9
11. Texas s/be #21, they lost to MSU & Tenn at home. Best win was yesterday at WVU as they have played NO ONE else even remotely good.
12. Syracuse s/be #12
13. Tenn s/be#17
15. Marquette s/be#18 while best loss was to MSU, other games vs. Miami and ND weren't particular close
16. Kentucky s/by #11 as they have performed better than Tenn, Texas, MD, Syracuse
17. Iowa s/be #14, Massey has them at 18 with SOS of #7 only "bad losss" is at home vs. FSU (not so bad)
18. Minn s/be not even in the top 25, this team is over ranked due to Whelan, their Massey rating is #46 with SOS of #129!
19. ASU s/be #13, with good losses vs. Baylor/Louisville, good win @ Utah, bad loss vs. AZ
20. Iowa State s/be #16 as Massey has them at #12 but they did lose to Iowa and SD State so behind Iowa seems right-plus, they get great fan support!
23. Mich St s/be #23
NR Miami s/be #24
NR Mizzou s/be #25 given their win over a still decent Tenn team, plus the top 25 needs another villain with Sophie fitting the bill!
Perfect!

Reaction Score
Is it because I moved you up a spot? ;)
Well, I am happy that you think OSU is unfairly ranked at #10 :D However, I gave you props for going through the analysis, and, I agree with all of it! I'm lazy, and you are not!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
1. ND-s/be #3
2. Louisville-s/be #4 still haven't played a team higher than #19 so the polls have it's right that they should be behind ND, they just screwed up having ND as #1.
3. UConn s/be #1 still
4. Baylor s/be #4
6. Stanford s/be #5
7. MSU s/b#7
8. NC State s/b#8
10. Oregon St s/be#9
12. Syracuse s/be #12
13. Tenn s/be#17
23. Mich St s/be #23
NR Miami s/be #24
I have a couple problems with your analysis and ratings. You seem to use Massey as a base, but place Notre Dame at #3 despite the fact that Notre Dame is ranked higher than UConn in Massey. Did you see this summary of computer rankings (LINK)? Why do you have Notre Dame at #3? You provide analysis for other teams, but just drop Notre Dame down a spot from last week with no reason.

You have no team ranked 2nd. You have UConn ranked first and then Notre Dame 3rd, and then both Baylor and Louisville 4th. Is UConn that special that no team deserves even the spot below them?

You have UConn 1st when they beat #3 and lost to #4 in your ranking. Why? You provided no reason.

Your #3 ND lost to #1 in your ranking but beat your #9, #10, #14, #18.

Reaction Score
UConn should be #1 on the basis of having defeated ND soundly.... they both have one loss.... I cannot understand why ND is rated above us

Having said that .... I really do not care, because rankings are very subjective and they DO NOT MATTER

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
UConn should be #1 on the basis of having defeated ND soundly.... they both have one loss.... I cannot understand why ND is rated above us

Having said that .... I really do not care, because rankings are very subjective and they DO NOT MATTER
But then how is UConn over Baylor? They both have one loss and UConn lost head-to-head to Baylor.

And how can Baylor be above Stanford? They both have one loss and Stanford beat Baylor.

And how can Stanford be above Gonzaga? They both have one loss and Gonzaga beat Stanford.

And how can Notre Dame be below Gonzaga? They both have one loss and Notre Dame beat Gonzaga.

And how can Notre Dame be above UConn? They both have one loss and UConn beat Notre Dame.

Yes, the rankings do not matter, but they are fun to discuss. But if you care to discuss it, then you should probably include the whole body of work of the different teams, not base it all on one game. So make the case for UConn on their whole body of work.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You have no team ranked 2nd. You have UConn ranked first and then Notre Dame 3rd, and then both Baylor and Louisville 4th. Is UConn that special that no team deserves even the spot below them?

Now you're onto something. The spot below UConn is reserved for the Boneyard. If it weren't for us, how would they ever know whom to recruit or how to play? :D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn
ND
Louisville
Baylor
Mississippi State

Could be crazy, but you cannot put ND over UConn after UConn beat them on their home court by 18.
Using that logic, how can you rank UConn above Baylor?

Reaction Score
Then Stanford should be ahead of Baylor ....LOL
UConn and Baylor both have one loss, so the tie goes to the head to head result. They are each other's only common opponent thus far. It's moot really because I've said for the last couple of weeks that ND has looked like the most complete and consistent team. ND spent the last month getting better while UConn basically went on vacation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn and Baylor both have one loss, so the tie goes to the head to head result. They are each other's only common opponent thus far. It's moot really because I've said for the last couple of weeks that ND has looked like the most complete and consistent team. ND spent the last month getting better while UConn basically went on vacation.

Vacation? What are you talking about. UConn went on the road, haven’t played a home game since early December. So insulting.

Reaction Score
It's moot really because I've said for the last couple of weeks that ND has looked like the most complete and consistent team. ND spent the last month getting better while UConn basically went on vacation.
After losing to UConn the only good team ND beat is #18 Marq 87-63. Where do you get ND getting better and is the most complete and consistent team since last month?

How is your definition of UConn basically went on vacation last month? If you are on vacation don't assume others are on vacation too ...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have a couple problems with your analysis and ratings. You seem to use Massey as a base, but place Notre Dame at #3 despite the fact that Notre Dame is ranked higher than UConn in Massey. Did you see this summary of computer rankings (LINK)? Why do you have Notre Dame at #3? You provide analysis for other teams, but just drop Notre Dame down a spot from last week with no reason.

You have UConn 1st when they beat #3 and lost to #4 in your ranking. Why? You provided no reason.

Your #3 ND lost to #1 in your ranking but beat your #9, #10, #14, #18.
You’re on a UConn forum, asking a UConn fan why they would have ND below UConn to whom they lost at HOME to? I think you're lucky I even kept you in the top 25 at all! :cool:

I like Massey but don't love it, I will use in conjunction with my eye test, games I have seen and tendencies. Massey splitting hairs in my ranking of 1 spot is blah, however when the AP polls have teams like Minn, MD and Cal listed egregiously higher than their Massey ranking, I worry why these voters have votes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom