This UCLA coaching search | The Boneyard

This UCLA coaching search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really makes me happy how things ended up working out with Ollie. It's always hard replacing a coach at an elite program, especially when he's replacing a legend.

Reaction Score
Really makes me happy how things ended up working out with Ollie. It's always hard replacing a coach at an elite program, especially when he's replacing a legend.

Brad Stevens is #1 ..............see how loyal he is now when the $$$$$$$$ are tossed around. Butler can't come up with those numbers for sure...........

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Brad Stevens is #1 ..............see how loyal he is now when the are tossed around. Butler can't come up with those numbers for sure...........
Stevens turned them down

Reaction Score
This is the SAME thing that UCLA has confronted for 30 years (and I have a UCLA degree). You simply cannot place the Brand Name in a often Hostile situation for enough money. (remember ... I think Valvano accepted this job for about 5 minutes once) Howland seemed to be a great fit ... until he wasn't. Hard Hard place to coach.

Reaction Score
I would take a look at Buzz Williams if I was the AD at UCLA.

Buzz is too Blue Collar for UCLA. UCLA wants the glamour, as sad as that sounds. UCLA is a bind! Top up & comers are spurning UCLA.... I'd love for them to "reach" and get stuck with someone like Bill Walton & watch them flame & burn...

Reaction Score
All but one of their titles were paid for by Sam Gilbert and not it's like Harrick was clean either. UCLA basketball is so freaking overrated.

Reaction Score
UCLA woulda been perfect for the Squid had he not stolen gotten the UK gig...
Tinseltown for the shady bastid = match made in hell!

Reaction Score
Honestly, UCLA should throw as much money at Calipari as possible--Los Angeles is far more glamorous than Lexington. They should offer him whatever he wants to try to get him.

Reaction Score
Honestly, UCLA should throw as much money at Calipari as possible--Los Angeles is far more glamorous than Lexington. They should offer him whatever he wants to try to get him.

... and watch him crumble & burn... Oh my, that would be wonderful....

Reaction Score
Kareem wants it but they won't let him try. I think they should for a couple years, least they could do. Maybe he could teach the skyhook.

Reaction Score
Shaka turned down UCLA and Minnesota. I wonder what he's waiting for, or if he's just more comfortable at a smaller program.

Reaction Score
Shaka turned down UCLA and Minnesota. I wonder what he's waiting for, or if he's just more comfortable at a smaller program.

Maybe he likes where he is? In today's hire & fire day of college ball, Shaka & Brad seem to be in good places. Sometimes it's not all about the money. These guys seem to be good eggs. That's what college ball needs, the "anti-Calamari".....

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine that considering what happened to Howland; as much success in ten years as anyone who did not win a title (and there have been quite a few situations where a very good coach has done quite well for a decade yet has not won a title), a coach like Smart or Stevens is being wise by using caution when UCLA calls.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Perhaps they could offer the squid $10 million per...it would be sweet to see the chaos at both programs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Somebody on fox sports radio said that Ucla didn't even look at Shaka, now that Stevens said no they are going hard after Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
For UCLA to find a big time established coach, they need to find a giant with an ego the size of Texas, much like Alabama football did with Saban. Nobody with a shred of self- doubt is taking that job.

Reaction Score
Shaka is a Kenyon College grad. Kenyon is literally in the middle of nowhere in Gambier, Ohio. A very highly rated liberal arts school. I think he is just more comfortable at a smaller school. I don't see him as a good fit for UCLA.

Reaction Score
Perhaps however, he's making $1.5m, he is a God locally and his cost of living is superior to any altertantive out there. The Howland history is a learning experience for guys like Smart.
FYI, this guy is the most grounded person I've ever met...definitley NOT about the benjamns.

Reaction Score
Smart and Stevens both have lifetime job security and make millions. If you don't win a national championship immediately at UCLA you're gone. There are better jobs out there with more realistic expectations that will open up. Coach K is getting old and Duke will open up pretty soon. I bet both guys will fight to get that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom