This Time Ncaa May Be Serious About Forcing Uconn To Miss The Post-season. | The Boneyard

This Time Ncaa May Be Serious About Forcing Uconn To Miss The Post-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You better believe this legislation had UConn in mind. They know who it will affect and appaprently from a couple sisters of the poor school, the only school from a major conference will be UConn. See the quote below and it looks to me like lawsuit will be our only option. They are targeting UConn, but schools who live with one and done players (Kentucky, Ohio State, Texas, UNC, Duke) get off free. I'd like to see how many these schools graduated vs. how many graduated from UConn. Then add the players who are 2 or 3 classes away from graduation and are making money over seas with the plan to graduate within the next 2 to 5 years. This is a BS legislation targeting UConn. Take them to court and expose this BS for what it really is.

"It's a cautionary tale," Elmore told The Associated Press. "But the need for again, focusing on the true mission of the university, is to graduate players and you can't fail at the most important task whether you're national champions or not."

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been discussed here. What would our APR numbers look like if players who went to the NBA( but have not yet graduated) were removed from the calculatons?

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been discussed here. What would our APR numbers look like if players who went to the NBA( but have not yet graduated) were removed from the calculatons?

This is precisely why Elmore's quote is hypocritical. The APR has little to do with graduating players. You get as much credit for graduating a player (1 point) as you do for a player leaving after one semester for the NBA (with his classes in order). Instead, you're hurt when a 4th year player signs a contract overseas mid-semester (Gavin Edwards) and he leaves immediately. Or else a 4th year player (Mandeldove) fails out.

In other words, the APR is not about graduating players.

Reaction Score
As if I didn't dislike that group of players enough.. they are still hurting the program.

Reaction Score
As if I didn't dislike that group of players enough.. they are still hurting the program.

Why dislike a kid for being a good student for 3 1/2 years then taking his first job offer mid-semester? Why valorize the freshman who takes Intro courses and then cuts bait? Why is he so special compared to the senior who has put in the classtime for 3+ years?

Reaction Score
what contract did Gavin Edwards sign mid semester? Dude signed with Korea during the summer after he played for the Suns summer league team.

Reaction Score
He didn't sign with anybody mid-semester. What he did was focus on the pre-draft camps and workouts, or more accurately he focused on preparing for those workouts, rather than finishing his remaining classes.

Reaction Score
It's better than it was. There was a time where, no matter why a player left (i.e. for millions) he hurt the school. And we criticized (rightfully) the formula for taking into account that the program had actually helped the student.

Now that they at least don't penalize you for that if the student takes care of business, I can deal with the APR. UConn just needs to make sure they keep up with it. They will. It seems wildly unfair to ban UConn next season if they're numbers have been steadily on the rise.

Reaction Score
It's better than it was. There was a time where, no matter why a player left (i.e. for millions) he hurt the school. And we criticized (rightfully) the formula for taking into account that the program had actually helped the student.

Now that they at least don't penalize you for that if the student takes care of business, I can deal with the APR. UConn just needs to make sure they keep up with it. They will. It seems wildly unfair to ban UConn next season if they're numbers have been steadily on the rise.

The Grad. Rate is still there. It hasn't gone away.

APR is a figleaf for public consumption. I argue it's worse than what we used to have because it pressures ADs to dumb down what's offered to athletes. I mean, if they wanted to emphasize graduation, they could have just given more weight to those kids who graduated.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
UConn will appeal the punishment in 2013 as we will have made significant progress in the last couple of years in the APR and get the exemption since we will be making so much progress. This is just the NCAA trying to look tough on academics.

Mark my words...we will be eligible for the 2013 NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
UConn will appeal the punishment in 2013 as we will have made significant progress in the last couple of years in the APR and get the exemption since we will be making so much progress. This is just the NCAA trying to look tough on academics.

Mark my words...we will be eligible for the 2013 NCAA tournament.

My guess is they don't even need to go through the waiver process. The NCAA will change the parameters so the 2011 and 2012 scores determine who's eligible in 2013. The 2012 data will be available well beforehand so there's no reason not to use the most current data and paint the most accurate picture as to who's complying and who isn't.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My guess is they don't even need to go through the waiver process. The NCAA will change the parameters so the 2011 and 2012 scores determine who's eligible in 2013. The 2012 data will be available well beforehand so there's no reason not to use the most current data and paint the most accurate picture as to who's complying and who isn't.
This is the way I see things playing out as well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's great that the NCAA has minimum reqs, but schools are pretty free to get kids through school creatively. Does 4 years of a phony major = 4 years of business or engineering or Psyc? Maybe the graduation rate playing field could be leveled with some sort of standard test like the SATs given at the time the athlete "in good standing" leaves school, even just before graduating. Not that hard a test, but one that at least shows that the athlete is able to deal with basic academic requirements that the average kid should be able to handle at the end of one college year, let alone four. Show basic math skill, write 2 75 word paragraphs that make logical sense and are grammatically correct. In other words, what did the college really demand in the way of academic progression of the student other than a curriculum that a hs jr. could handle or maybe having been steered toward "friendly" profs

Reaction Score
I don't even think the true mission of a university is to "graduate people". The true mission is to educate and encourage independent thinking. So if an adult 22 yo male decides that the best thing for him personally is to put off finishing his degree until he's older so that he can put 100 percent of his focus into taking his best shot at a professional career, that to me looks like a perfectly educated decision, and one that is nobody's business but that player's. Big-time football players almost all redshirt, so they essentially get nine full semesters before combine season. Basketball players get seven (and the season overlaps both semesters every year).
That said, I think where we've failed over the years is taking guys like Darius Smith or Chad Wise, who weren't good enough to play and hurt our APR. You're better off taking a mediocre in-state basketball player who will happily ride the bench and earn a degree just to be a part of the UConn program than some marginal student from somewhere far away who will transfer when they can't sniff the court. That way, you have some cushion for when guys don't finish up before turning pro.

Reaction Score
It's a retro-active punishment. That can't hold up in court. If they want to make the rule, it has to start with the date the rule starts, and scores can be measured then. The NCAA can try, but if Uconn challenged in court (if they don't get a waiver) Uconn would win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's a retro-active punishment. That can't hold up in court. If they want to make the rule, it has to start with the date the rule starts, and scores can be measured then. The NCAA can try, but if Uconn challenged in court (if they don't get a waiver) Uconn would win.
i'm not sure they could take the NCAA to court, could they? i mean it's not a legal issue, it's the NCAA and college athletics. what do i know, tho? i'd love it if the NCAA could be taken to court...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

It appears the NCAA is in favor of changing the paramters to move the penalties closer to the infraction date.

UConn may need a waiver based on the rolling 4 year. If they lose 2 points this year it would be borderline. Better to lose 2 eligible to Div I transfer than an ineligble 0-2 for waiver purposes.

Reaction Score
UConn lost two scholarships for the very same APR score that would cause them to miss the 2013 tournament. How you could possibly retroactively enforce this is beyond me.

I haven't looked into the scores, but is UConn just the most prominent school to be affected by this? Or are they the only school. 2009-10 could go down as the single worst season of the JC era if the APR from that year keeps them out of the 2013 tournament.

Reaction Score
This is such Stop. Why is there even a calculation? If a student in Chemistry flunks, he flunks, and does not attend classes then on. The Chem Dept is not further penalized, so why should a sports team be?

Any WHY is this focus on UCONN??

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn has just won an NC. It is the most prominent program hence it's newsworthy. Uconn is on track, hopefully, to correct the problem. The NCAA hasn't finished fine tuning the process. If they change the time of reporting and if UConn can get similar scores this year as last year, the program will be fine in 2013.

But the fine tuning won't change till February. So be prepared to hear "UConn may not be in the 2013 tourney ad nauseam. And if UConn qualifies because the rules change expect the haters to say the only reason it was changed was to accomadate UConn.

We are officially an elite team. Haters are gonna hate and we are a poster team for good and bad. We are the new Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom