This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach | Page 8 | The Boneyard

This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think if his offense was so clever his teams would have some better offensive numbers by now .

By now? He doesn't even have a full roster of players he recruited. What are you talking about?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If UConn was my team I’d celebrate JC as an all time great that won national titles and brought the Huskies to the top of college basketball.

I’d celebrate KO as a great player and a coach that won a national title, and I’d be disappointed that his term didn’t end well.

I’d be enthusiastic that DH is rebuilding the program, that the team is back in the Big East and is getting more competitive each year with higher level talent, and I’d be hopeful for the future. It won’t happen over night.

Be true to your school. It can’t always be championships. The struggle and the journey is part of the experience.
I think there are few fanbases that understand this better than ours.

Those of us whose interest in the team predates Calhoun appreciate fully well the struggle and journey. In all honesty, as sad as it may sound in the scheme of things, there are few things that have brought me more pleasure in life than UConn basketball, precisely because our story is so freaking great.

Unfortunately, that type of success can lead to expectations that make it difficult for some to enjoy the journey when it doesn't lead to the post-season, for repeated seasons.

But even when you do still appreciate the journey, championships are always the goal.

Reaction Score
By now? He doesn't even have a full roster of players he recruited. What are you talking about?
His teams at Rhode Island never had good offensive numbers either, and he’s starting 4 of his guys enough with that excuse

Reaction Score
His teams at Rhode Island never had good offensive numbers either, and he’s starting 4 of his guys enough with that excuse

The same team that beat Oklahoma with NBA all star Trae Young? Making sure we are talking about the same team. Please advise

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
That’s really a cheap shot or an apples to oranges comparison
2018 had 10 new players many just emergency replacements. Blame KO for that if you want. Then lost Gilbert. They were 5-0 when he was healthy. Even with the scrubs they had just beaten SMU when the NCAA probe leaked dooming that season.
We never know what KO would have done with that team but if he didn’t win 20 The BY would have hammered him.
That team of misfits also played the best schedule we played since 2011-12
2018-19 The whole team returned (minus Larrier.) including Gilbert being healty most of the year. Plus 3 Hurley recruits one a decent PG guard.
I wasn't taking a shot, fair or cheap. I was setting a baseline for what Hurley inherited and what he's done since.

Your explanations are fine, but they don't undo where we finished. And the schedule is irrelevant when using kenpom as a barometer because that's factored into the metric.

Edit to add: If we give the KO team the benefit of the doubt losing Al, what then do we do to this year losing Bouk?

I have a lot more thoughts on a conversation that compares Hurley and KO, but I'd rather we all just move on.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fun fact: How many schools outside the P6 conferences have won a national championship in the last 30 years? (I will give you a hint, it is one school.)
Two actually. I know this because, besides my own personal entertainment, it was my go-to argument to maintain FBS football during the middle rounds of conference realignment. Then Villanova had to go and rain on my parade.

UConn did not start transitioning to Div. 1A football until 2000 and did not join the Big East until 2004.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two actually. I know this because, besides my own personal entertainment, it was my go-to argument to maintain FBS football during the middle rounds of conference realignment. Then Villanova had to go and rain on my parade.

UConn did not start transitioning to Div. 1A football until 2000 and did not join the Big East until 2004.

Big East is and always has been what would today be called the P6.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there are few fanbases that understand this better than ours.

Those of us whose interest in the team predates Calhoun appreciate fully well the struggle and journey. In all honesty, as sad as it may sound in the scheme of things, there are few things that have brought me more pleasure in life than UConn basketball, precisely because our story is so freaking great.

Unfortunately, that type of success can lead to expectations that make it difficult for some to enjoy the journey when it doesn't lead to the post-season, for repeated seasons.

But even when you do still appreciate the journey, championships are always the goal.

I think this thread is an example of how low expectations are for the UConn fanbase when multiple posters are equating the fact that Hurley has a few highly ranked recruiting classes with Calhoun winning 3 national championships.

Reaction Score
This thread is a disaster, should've been locked up a while ago.
Yep. People don't realize how far in the hopper this program was. Also don't realize that some unfortunate things happen along the way that slow down progress. It's like tantrum central around here everytime we lose.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Big East is and always has been what would today be called the P6.
P5(6) is a football designation where the big money was. UConn was in the house at mealtime, but they did not have a seat at that particular table in 1999.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this thread is an example of how low expectations are for the UConn fanbase when multiple posters are equating the fact that Hurley has a few highly ranked recruiting classes with Calhoun winning 3 national championships.
This is baloney. Nothing wrong with having realistic expectations. And JC wasn't JC from the get go. I think Hurley's had a better 1st three years.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'll speak for myself in defense of patience, which it appears you're defining as low expectations. I expect UConn to return to a perennial tournament team with a few hiccups here and there. That's what we were under Calhoun and I have reasonable confidence we're back there for good under Hurley.

I am thankful for every National Championship we've seen and would count any additional we experience as a blessing. Each past NC was one as well. I don't think its appropriate for anyone to expect that as a standard, even for a program as successful as ours.

Just over 2 seasons ago we fired our coach because he had run the program off the rails. Nobody with a reasonable eye can say that the talent we were getting around that time is anywhere comparable to what we're getting now in Jackson, Sanogo and Bouknight for starters.

Players were not developing just a few years ago. Vital, Whaley and Carlton have all improved massively under Hurley.

And it's also pretty clear that we're still ascending as we continue to round out the program with simply more talented players.

I would disagree that those who are content with where we are right now and optimistic about the future have low expectations.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
P5(6) is a football designation where the big money was. UConn was in the house at mealtime, but they did not have a seat at that particular table in 1999.

Is your official position that the Big East was not a major conference in 1999?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Is your official position that the Big East was not a major conference in 1999?
My official position is that UConn was a member of the Atlantic 10 football conference in 1999.

It is also my position that 30 years ago from now (and where you wrote the post to which I responded), dates back to the 1990-1991 season. Duke won that year and from then on, only UConn and Villanova have won men's basketball championships as members of a conference outside the P5(6).

It's an argument I know well. I made it for nearly a decade. Major Championships are difficult, if not near impossible for programs without at least a Div. 1 football program. It 100% had to do with money, which really only started to flow primarily through football in the early 90s. This is what gave the 'Novas, Georgetowns, Louisvilles, and UNLVs of the world a shot in the 80's/early 90s.

Current-day Villanova is the exception that proves the rule. Gonzaga is knocking on the door, but I would not give them much of a chance in a normal year (i.e. fans in the stands). Hopefully UConn can get back to that level as well.

I trust in Hurley, by the way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember when people were saying the same thing about Jim Calhoun. He can't win the big one

No joke

Hurley has had two classes for heaven's sake, this type of thinking is beyond silly
Absolutely true. Many were saying he did a great job but he will never get them over the hump. It will take someone else to do that. There was even a proposed replacement. Tom Penders who coached Rhode Island at the time.

Reaction Score
He just seems to push the wrong buttons over and over in close games. He's had enough time to prove himself. He's a much better recruiter than coach.

Eight pages of replies and your original post still hasn't received even a single Like. No further comment needed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He just seems to push the wrong buttons over and over in close games. He's had enough time to prove himself. He's a much better recruiter than coach.

lol.

Reaction Score
Lol apparently it’s Hurleys fault that Ollie couldn’t recruit any shooters

Reaction Score
Lol apparently it’s Hurleys fault that Ollie couldn’t recruit any shooters
What are you talking about? The best shooter he has is from Ollie. He has 3 recruiting classes here now and not 1 shooter. Hawkins may raise that number to 1.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks KO deserved another minute as coach and that he didn't have a major part in setting this program back a significant amount is either related to him or simply delusional.

Hurley is not a perfect coach. Hurley is a good coach now and certainly has the potential to be a great coach. He recruits at a high level and his players seem to be both talented and possess good character. This is much more of a team under Hurley than it ever was under KO, minus the championship run steered by senior leadership (though KO does deserve credit as well).

Anyone making judgments on whether we can win a natty with Hurley right now is just talking out of their rear. If, in four or five years, Hurley has brought in the same number of recruiting classes that look like this year's and he still isn't getting to the next level, then it's a conversation. Anyone who thinks it is now is trolling or just doesn't understand how hard it is to rebuild a program that has bottom out into a national contender with historical expectations hovering as a perpetual sword of Damocles.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I just can't believe that these idiots actually want to jump on Hurley. Where would we go? Who would we bring in? He's done a hell of a job in two and a half years most of which has been riddled with a global pandemic. Take a Xanax.

Reaction Score
Whenever I see Adama running up to the player at the top of the key, he comes so close to getting a foul called .... yeah not sure either why - then has to sprint all the way back leaving his guy so far.

Blitzing screens like that works best when it's done on the wing. Force the other team to either pass cross court or into the corner. There's too many easy passes right to the wing when we do it at the top of the key. It doesn't generate TOs at the rate it needs to as all.

Blitzing screens isn't something Adama (and Clingan) will be good at. We need to limit that coverage for when we have Whaley/Akok/Johnson at the 5... or switch our matchups on D to get a quicker guy in the PnR defense instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom